Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 08:41 AM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid-Bus
Engine: 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2007 Chevy Mid-Bus Heater Removal

I just started my conversion process three days ago. I was able to get all of my seats out but the rear passenger side seat. The issue I'm having is that the heater box is in the way of two of my floor bolts. I figured I'd just remove that heater box so I could get to the floor bolts...but, not so fast! Joke's on me because there's some sort of tubing that goes down through the floor and, with me being in the medical field and NOT A MECHANIC, I don't know what that tube is or how to go about trying to get this heater thing out.

Can anyone offer some information or advice on what to do here? I really want to finish getting this last seat out so I can start getting the floor up.

Thank you!

AndrewKingPharmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Sure. Each heater has two coolant lines. Some buses have the hoses inside the bus and others run the hoses under the bus. If yours go through the floor it's actually better for you.

When you disconnect those coolant hoses you're likely going to spill some coolant so have a bucket or something ready to catch the coolant in, if you want to save it for reuse.

Hot coolant comes through one hose and returns through the second hose. You can disconnect both hoses from the heater and loop them to each other, allowing the coolant to continue to circulate through the hose only. It's best if you loop the hoses together under the bus rather than inside the bus.

You might want to save your heater just in case you decide you might like to relocate it to the passenger area later.

It took me most of a day to get my rear heater out. It didn't seem to work very well anyway and it was impeding the installation of the foam insulation.

Tags
heater, removal