Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2022, 04:05 PM   #41
Almost There

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevy Express
Engine: Duramax LMM
Quick update on my build. New laminate floors installed. Also put in a new table top thats a little narrower and less bulky.
Attached Thumbnails
busfloor2.jpg   BusFloor3.jpg   Busfloor4.jpg  

BMWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:03 AM   #42
Almost There

Danish oil applied.
Attached Thumbnails
danishoil.jpg  
Old 01-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Lookin' good!
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

I've got the gas version. Did you look at wiring under drivers seat? See anything there that wasn't GM? Mine was Girardin and I've ripped out most of their stuff but not sure about the some of the wiring under the seat.
sandbagger2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:50 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the fuse box cover under the seat tells you what fuse is what.
if you dont have the cover let me know
i can send pics of mine.
and that is factory gm except for the hidden vandalock and auxiliary A/C condensor stuff powered from that box.
the chevrolet factory BMS is powered from that box as well as a few other important things.
if you havent yet?
your bms( body management system) is located behind the panel where the glove box normally is.
there are two more control boxes in the driver seat area behind the panel where the drivers door is hinged.
havent had any problems so dont know what they are yet.
i only know where the bms is because i used that area to run the wires to my 4 camera
system monitor.
good luck
let me know if i can help.
old school mechanic but taught my teenagers to be mechanics and one actually is now at 21 so if i have a problem i cant figure out he has the new school knowledge.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:39 PM   #46
Almost There

I left all mine wiring alone. I did tap into a fuse under the seat for the DC-DC charger.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:07 PM   #47
Almost There

Took advantage of warmer weather today before the shitty weather returns tomorrow. Tuned up my work truck (spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor) and swapped out 5 glow plugs on the bus. What a PITA the glow plugs were. Auto engineers are on my **** list lol.

Ran out of time so the remaining 3 will have to wait.
Attached Thumbnails
plug clearance.jpg   plug location.jpg  
Old 02-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

My original issue had to do with installing a radio but that went well. There was a relay under driver seat feeding the Girardin relay panel in passenger area. I removed all the Girardin wiring successfully except for the marker lights. I intend to use that relay to feed to the marker lights. Working when it's 4 degrees isn't exhilarating. In the 2003 3500 there does not seem to be as much security issues, vandalock etc. Have not faced any problems that were not fixed easily.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:55 PM   #49
Almost There

Took advantage of another warm day and installed a 5 to 4 wire converter. I'm now able to tow with my bus. Installation was pretty straight forward. There's a wiring harness under the bus along the frame on the drivers side right at the final crossmember. Unplug it, snip, splice (I used butt connectors) and seal up your wires to join the converter and you're all set. The only wires that didn't get cut were the blue wire (back up) from the bus side and the white ground wire from the converter. Everything else was colored matched for my application.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7137.jpg   IMG_7136.jpg  
Old 02-23-2022, 02:31 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Looking good!! Glad you got it figured out and wired in!
Old 02-23-2022, 02:46 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
Looking good!! Glad you got it figured out and wired in!
I need to correct what I said in last post. The relay under driver seat was for the heater in the middle of the bus. There is also what looks like an old hard drive there as well. That controls the air bags in front. Brown wire with white stripe supplies power to running lights and is what I am using to power my marker and clearance lights.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:37 PM   #52
Almost There

Looks like I received my Chins LifePo4 batteries just in time. Price has gone up $50 per battery on Amazon since I ordered my batteries a few weeks ago.

I installed 2 100ah batteries last week. I'm planning on taking a build break and start putting a few extra $ aside for trips since diesel is over $5/gal in NJ right now.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:43 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNJ View Post
Looks like I received my Chins LifePo4 batteries just in time. Price has gone up $50 per battery on Amazon since I ordered my batteries a few weeks ago.

I installed 2 100ah batteries last week. I'm planning on taking a build break and start putting a few extra $ aside for trips since diesel is over $5/gal in NJ right now.
You could go on a trip, say, to the gas station and back or even spend a night at Walmart. Don't think price of fuel will go down until after 2024.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:49 PM   #54
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbagger2u View Post
You could go on a trip, say, to the gas station and back or even spend a night at Walmart. Don't think price of fuel will go down until after 2024.
HAHA. Sadly I think you're right.

I have a trip to Shenandoah Nat Park scheduled for next month. It'll be about a 700 mile round trip. Would have cost me about $210 in fuel when I planned it, if I were to leave today it would cost $330.
Old 03-10-2022, 02:56 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWNJ View Post
HAHA. Sadly I think you're right.

I have a trip to Shenandoah Nat Park scheduled for next month. It'll be about a 700 mile round trip. Would have cost me about $210 in fuel when I planned it, if I were to leave today it would cost $330.
If you were to leave next month, it may cost about $500. Just sit in the bus, watch Netflix and drink Martinis.
Old 03-11-2022, 08:34 AM   #56
Bus Nut

My wife and I have been having the same discussions about our planned trips this year in the bus... I think other than our two trips to Oklahoma already planned and booked, we will not be traveling too far this year... Lol
Old 03-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #57
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
My wife and I have been having the same discussions about our planned trips this year in the bus... I think other than our two trips to Oklahoma already planned and booked, we will not be traveling too far this year... Lol
We only have 2 planned trips this year. VA next month and Assateague State Park in MD in Oct. Anything else would be short camping trips in PA and NJ.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:09 PM   #58
Almost There

Dealing with weird trouble codes and a coolant leak. I fix one code and another appears.

Now my fan clutch sensor is acting up. Driving home over the weekend the engine sounded like an airplane, very loud. I knew exactly what it was because it did it before on the way home from our first trip back in Aug but it hasnt done it since. The clutch feels fine when hand spinning, theres a lot of resistance. Kept an eye on the coolant and transmission temps and they were both normal, 180* for the engine coolant and around 130* for the trans temp.

I did notice that my coolant level was a little below the marking for cold level. I looked around underneath and spotted a wet spot at the bottom of the radiator on the drivers side. I ordered some dye and a blacklight flash light to see if I can pinpoint where the leak is.
Attached Thumbnails
coolant leak.jpg  
Old 07-08-2022, 04:20 AM   #59
Almost There

Goodbye bus seats, hello leather executive style seats
Found an amazing deal via FB marketplace. Brand new, still in box.

2 installed, 2 more to go. I'm going to put one of the yet to be installed seats on a swivel so it'll be able to face forward and act as a front passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails
LuxSeats2.jpg   LuxSeats.jpg  
Old 07-11-2022, 07:34 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Wow!!! Those look great!
I need to find some of those to upgrade mine in our bus!!