Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Federal Coach
Chassis: Ford E450
Rated Cap: 26
2010 Ford E450 shuttle bus conversion

Hey, I saw someone asking about the Ford shuttle busses a few weeks ago.. I ended up getting one about the same time and thought I should post a few pics of our process!

We got the Ford E450 for $1,100. Its a 2010 with 110k miles.

We started taking it apart this week. The e-exit on the roof had been leaking quite a bit - the wooden roof was disintegrated and only held up by the imitation leather cover. The water had been running along it and rusting the roof supports.. then dripping on the seats or running down the walls causing more rust.

The floor has a couple holes in it where it has rotted through around the edges, and several of the floor supports were rusted out as well. We'll have to weld new ones in.

One thing we noticed is that a lot of the fiberglass panels are coming unglued. Does anyone have a good product in mind to glue them back on?

Has anyone welded close to the fiberglas before? I'm wondering how close I can go without messing it up.. I think we may need to weld a new support around the e-exit where it has rusted through.

Here's a few pics of taking the ceiling/walls out.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums2306.html

Touring4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:49 PM   #2

Hi there! What are the inside usable dimensions in feet or inches? I keep seeing 98" wide but not sure. Hopemyour conversion is going well!
SheTriedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:54 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Hi! I just measured.. its about 92 wide (without walls) and 208 long, from the rear of the front door to the back wall. I'm figuring adding walls/insulation will drop at a couple inches.

Did you get one? I've just started painting the new frame. Sorry I'm not sure why the pics upload upside down lol

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/membe...lbums2345.html
Old 07-11-2022, 01:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the Dimensions

Aw man! Thanks for such a quick reply on the dimensions!! I've been looking everywhere.

I am trying to figure out which vehicle to get. I REALLY want a twin murphy bed that allows me some space in the bedroom and a second lounging area in the back or a cabinet bed.

I've been working on a layout based roughly on 200" long x 90" wide (see attached).

I saw a really great video on insulation: https://youtu.be/ibNZ8eBM9M0

I hope to get a shuttle in August and be ready for a planned camping trip in October. Probably won't be built out but I can test it out to get a few emergency "no power" essentials in place.
SheTriedIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Nice! A folding bed will probably fit. Just keep in mind the walls are curved in, so worse case you could do a bed that becomes a couch.

I hope to do a queen with storage under, and two bunk beds that fold down to a couch... but that might change.

Your layout didn't attach. I'm curious to see it!

Tags
e450, ford