Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2020, 07:48 PM   #121
Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
Hi Clyn. Just trying to catch up after taking a 2 week hiatus for Thanksgiving. Obviously hindsight...gave up some good weather. Back to work and looking at your pics for reference. I was going to leave that front plastic above the front dash...but looking at your pics has me thinking. What is your plan for that area?

Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 03:12 PM   #122
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Junior View Post
Hi Clyn. Just trying to catch up after taking a 2 week hiatus for Thanksgiving. Obviously hindsight...gave up some good weather. Back to work and looking at your pics for reference. I was going to leave that front plastic above the front dash...but looking at your pics has me thinking. What is your plan for that area?

Hi Liz,

I am in the same boat- too much other stuff going on and missed some wonderful work day on the bus. I have not had a chance to work on the bus since my last update.

I too was going to leave the upper front wall trim in place, and not mess with it for now, but the young fellows helping me with the wiring needed access to the wires enclosed in that space, so I carefully removed the trim in preparation of their next visit. Well, that next visit has yet to happen.

In the meantime, I am contemplating that space. There is a fair amount of space that could be utilized; it is just a matter of figuring out how I best want to utilize the space- I would like to have a storage area for lighter stuff i.e) pillows, blankets, or stuff that I won't be using on a regular basis, and how best to frame out the space to support the any weight since the entire front wall is fiberglass.

Somewhere along the front wall, I would like to hang my 'Islander' bird house, so when I leave the island, I can put little memory notes inside of it, and when I am missing the island, I can fish a few out and remember some great island times.

I am looking forward to the Christmas holidays and some time off...hoping the weather will be on the milder side, so I can get more work done to the bus.

Hope you had a great holiday!

Clyn
Attached Thumbnails
92dc8449d83a63c7a6ceb6ba21e731d4.jpg  
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:20 PM   #123
Skoolie

Short update on my build...

I have only had a few hours to work on the bus this week, but I managed to wrestle out three prices of metal trim along the driver's wall that supported the bus wiring. After tussling with those, I added a few pieces of insulation in the ceiling. While supporting the insulation with the few 2x3's I had, I read over the manual for the new to me chop saw to figure out how it works.

I am still working as a one wrist bandit, but managed to start screwing in the 2x3's into the passenger wall.

It is my grand son's birthday, so I am calling it a day for now.

Enjoy your Sunday!

Clyn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210228_140115.jpg   IMG_20210228_135345.jpg   IMG_20210226_155618.jpg   IMG_20210226_130728.jpg  
Old 02-28-2021, 03:07 PM   #124
Skoolie

Very nice progress. A few hours here and there add up. The winter has been making it rough for me to get alot done. Just chipping away bit by bit. Keep up the good work!!!
Old 02-28-2021, 04:49 PM   #125
Skoolie

Hi Buster Junior,

Thanks! I would love to see the progress you have made on your bus.

Yes it has been a tough season. I have been on a crazy driving schedule since school started and then it got worse. The schedule seems to have settled down for now, and I hope it remains the same for the rest of the school year. Below is the view I start my bus run off with everyday....certainly keeps me in a better frame of mind.

Take care, and send me some photos!

Clyn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210108_071354.jpg  
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #126
Skoolie

Wow...AMAZING view!!! Yep that would help the mindset. I will update some pics on my build. Have been meaning too. Just been hectic with life in general. Take care, stay safe. Elizabeth
Old 03-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #127
Skoolie

I was surfing YT tonight, and found a young couple building out a Girard in bus. They are hoping to complete the build in 60 days. I will be watching their progress with interest and have subscribed to their YT channel.

https://youtu.be/S6vFxhR_PfU

I have already noticed an error I made in installing the framing under the windows in my bus by watching the above video. The emergency exit window frame sits lower in the wall than the other windows. I hollowed out my framing to accommodate this window frame but now see that I should have installed the framing just below the emergency window frame....never thought to leave space for adding a cap to tidy up the wall. I will replace that hollowed out piece of framing with another 2x3.

Have a great weekend!

Clyn
Old 05-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #128
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: E350 7 window
Engine: 7.3 idi na
Rated Cap: 16
I love all your attention to detail, and a little peek into how life is like on an island!

My project will end much differently than yours, but it will begin with the same "fun" of glue and rivets you're experiencing!

Hope you're doing well and giving that wrist some down time here and there!
IDIaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:21 PM   #129
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIaddict View Post
I love all your attention to detail, and a little peek into how life is like on an island!

My project will end much differently than yours, but it will begin with the same "fun" of glue and rivets you're experiencing!

Hope you're doing well and giving that wrist some down time here and there!

Hi IDIaddict,

Thanks! Out of everything, the glue and the ceiling panels were the worst. But, I would do it again on another bus.

I haven't been doing much on the bus lately. It is parked at a co-worker's house for now. The island is going through a huge building spurt right now, and supplies are hard-pressed to come by with many things out of stock. My daughter is off island today and going to bring back some stuff for me.

Still not able to obtain insurance for the bus. The last insurance company stated that if I moved to VT, became a resident and switched my drivers license over, I could apply for insurance and they might cover me.

As for the wrist- A 70% loss of function and severe osteoarthritis. I am finally in PT, mind you it is now a year later. But, PT going pretty good. The other day, the therapist was able to get my wrist to bend to 45 degrees. So there is some hope...keeping my fingers crossed and doing my daily exercises.

That's about al for now. Just trying not to become overwhelmed and make rash decisions.

Thanks again, and have a great evening!

Clyn
Old 05-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #130
Skoolie

Hey there Clyn. So glad that it sounds like you may be making progress with your wrist. I hope it continues to improve. I am also glad that you are not making any immediate decisions with your bus. You have put in so much energy and time, and you are doing such a thorough job that I am hopeful that things will sort themselves out...eventually. I know it is hard to get motivated after a break in production, but once back in the saddle it starts the fire. Anyway, wishing you well🙏. Elizabeth.
Old 05-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #131
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Junior View Post
Hey there Clyn. So glad that it sounds like you may be making progress with your wrist. I hope it continues to improve. I am also glad that you are not making any immediate decisions with your bus. You have put in so much energy and time, and you are doing such a thorough job that I am hopeful that things will sort themselves out...eventually. I know it is hard to get motivated after a break in production, but once back in the saddle it starts the fire. Anyway, wishing you well🙏. Elizabeth.

Thanks Liz!

I am hoping that the PT will help regain enough range of motion in my wrist to pass my DOT physical and keep my CDL. Time will tell.

As for the bus, I just wish I could get insurance on it, so I can get it off island once the school year is up. I am looking forward to moving off the island, and not to mention it would be so much easier to get supplies and spend time on the build. Plus, it would be awesome to have the space to spread out during the build.

I took a look at your update, and it looks fabulous!

Have a great day!

Clyn
Old 05-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #132
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
What made you choose a 2011 newer bus?
Are the emissions requirements challenging?
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #133
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by buslivesmatter View Post
What made you choose a 2011 newer bus?
Are the emissions requirements challenging?

Hi Buslivesmatter,

I chose my bus because I was familiar with the bus. It was part of my local school district's fleet; one I drove as a school bus driver, I also knew who else drove it, along with their driving styles and ability to do their job correctly; plus, it was the better one of the two short buses up for bid, and it perfectly fits my needs/wants.

I don't have to worry about emissions as it has a gas engine.

My school district just put up more buses for bid; of the entire lot, there are only two I would consider; one is a short bus like mine, just an older year; and an IC which is a workhorse. The rest of them are junk that I would not touch with a 10-foot pole.

Clyn
Old 05-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #134
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyardseashell View Post
Hi Buslivesmatter,

I chose my bus because I was familiar with the bus. It was part of my local school district's fleet; one I drove as a school bus driver, I also knew who else drove it, along with their driving styles and ability to do their job correctly; plus, it was the better one of the two short buses up for bid, and it perfectly fits my needs/wants.

I don't have to worry about emissions as it has a gas engine.

My school district just put up more buses for bid; of the entire lot, there are only two I would consider; one is a short bus like mine, just an older year; and an IC which is a workhorse. The rest of them are junk that I would not touch with a 10-foot pole.

Clyn

Hi. That’s good to know. I didn’t realize that about gas engines. Thanks for the insight.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:04 PM   #135
Skoolie

Hi Everyone,

Got started on the bus again today. Finished framing out driver's side lower wall. With two screws left to go, the drill battery ran out, so while it was was charging, I cut and added in the insulation, as all as foamed in the little spots.

The battery should be good to go, so I am framing out a portion of the BA k wall and when the foam on the side wall is dry, I will trim it up.

It feels good to be doing something on the bus.

Have a great weekend!

Clyn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210522_125426.jpg  
Old 05-22-2021, 12:07 PM   #136
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Go Clyn! Glad to see you back at it!
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #137
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Go Clyn! Glad to see you back at it!

Thanks Peak us!

It is not the neatest job, but not to shabby for a beginner.

Thanks again, and have a great weekend!

Clyn
Old 05-23-2021, 12:38 AM   #138
Skoolie

Yay you!!! Looking good girl!!!
Old 05-23-2021, 07:15 AM   #139
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Nice progress, do i understand correct that you have 3" foam insulation in the wall?
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 03:16 PM   #140
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheathebus
Hi there! I seen on one of the forums you had electrical schematics for your bus. I’m building mine and could surely use the help. I appreciate your time!

Thanks,
Joe Johnson

Hi Joe,

Yes, I have some for 2011 the year of my bus. Send me your email address and I will send them to you. They may or may not apply to your bus. You can also contact Girard in in Quebec and they will email you a copy specific to your bus.

Thanks,

Clyn

Tags
bluebird, girardin, micro bird