Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #161
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: E350 7 window
Engine: 7.3 idi na
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyardseashell View Post

In my bus plan thoughts today, I had a few brainwaves; and I think I have finally lost my emotional ties to all my hard core camping gear; pretty sure I am going to put it all up for sale- just haven't decided whether or not to do it as individual items or a complete set up.

Clyn
This is a good point for me. I need to let go of my own tent camping items. They're just rotting and could do someone better being used!!!

IDIaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:13 PM   #162
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Overdue update.

It has been awhile since I have posted an update, so here it is...

While my HC lift is still in the bus, and the walls have not been finished off because of school bus wiring hasn't been decommissioned (still waiting for fall for these items to be completed), I have been moving forward with other things.

I finished off the front and rear floor. The front floor has 1' inch of insulation and topped with subflooring, while the rear portion of the floor under the bed was left as is and covered with vinyl plank flooring. I forgot to take photos of the floor after it was finished.

I built a basic couch/pullout twin bed with storage underneath for the front passenger side. I will be sprucing it up so it doesn't look so basic once finished.

Added my kitchen cabinets. I haven't finished the complete install for them yet. That will be done when I am finished playing with them to determine which cabinets will give me the best usage for my needs. Once the cabinets are installed with the backsplash, I will add the other goodies i.e.) sink, faucet, etc.

Yesterday I built the platform bed and added the mattress to it. The bed provides about 28.5" of under storage with the mattress topping the bed height out at about 41".

After tidying up and moving all my 'waiting to get to' stuff under the bed. I found that I really like the storage area and the height of the bed is actually pretty comfy- although, I do need a step stool to get into the bed. Guess that means that my handsome man Rebel won't be sleeping in the bed with me.

That is about it for now.

Thanks, and have a great weekend!

Clyn
Attached Thumbnails
20210718_174959.jpg   20210718_185141.jpg   20210718_185126.jpg   20210718_185154.jpg   20210722_193228.jpg  

20210722_195637.jpg   20210723_130145.jpg   20210723_130122.jpg  
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:19 PM   #163
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Good progress Clyn! Looking good! That's a health bank of cabinets-never enough storage.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 05:30 PM   #164
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Good progress Clyn! Looking good! That's a health bank of cabinets-never enough storage.
I have been playing with them, moving items in, out and around the cabinets to see what works and doesn't.

I think the cabinet to the far right...sorry my other right- the far left cabinet is going to hit the junk pile, unless I can use it somewhere else. That cabinet originally held my 30" drawer microwave. Waiting to see if I will get a new one in a class action settlement against Sharp. If they replace it, I want a 24" one.

Sorry, digressed there.... I plan to have my composting toilet and shower where that particular cabinet is. And on the opposite wall will be my closet.

I am being careful and slow on the draw to make sure that everything I have is well balanced. My water tank is currently under the bed (blue) and I am thinking I may move it to the other side where the WC lift is just to balance things out. The tank holds 35 gallons, so that is almost 300 pounds of weight.

Still a work in progress, and most likely will always be

Clyn
Old 07-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #165
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I need to sue my microwave manufacturer - for not building a microwave that can survive a six-foot drop without the door breaking off.

Your cabinets are looking great.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #166
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I need to sue my microwave manufacturer - for not building a microwave that can survive a six-foot drop without the door breaking off.

Your cabinets are looking great.

Thanks Musigenesis. They are just cheap run of the mill cabinets that I've had for years. They have served me well and continue to do so. I would love to build a custom set to fit the kitchen items I have, but it just isn't in the budget right now. These cabinets still have some life left and I can make them work for my needs now.

As for the microwave. I just lucked out. That microwave was the best one I've ever owned until it started sparking. I went online to find a solution for the problem and found that Sharp had a class action lawsuit pending re: drawer microwaves sparking. There were a few settlement options available and I opted for a new one. Still waiting though.

Clyn
Old 07-23-2021, 09:45 PM   #167
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
my 2013 truck with dual zone climate controls and only 73.000 miles is adequate. But then, I'm just a simple uneducated hillbilly.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:48 PM   #168
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Dreaming View Post
my 2013 truck with dual zone climate controls and only 73.000 miles is adequate. But then, I'm just a simple uneducated hillbilly.
Sorry, but that was in response to cadillac kid.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:07 PM   #169
Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
Wow...looking great!!! Really nice progress. Be proud of yourself...bum wrist wont hold you back! Thanks for the pics. Very excited for you��
Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:23 AM   #170
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hello Clyn
Your cabinets and your entire build is looking awesome, you’re making fantastic progress on your build since you started a short time ago. Keep up the great work.
Cheers
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:08 AM   #171
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Looking good Clyn, how old is Rebel?

Sure looks looks like good storage and you still have the space above the windows .
What is up with the last ceiling bow just before the lift. Looks it got cut of?
What are you planning in place of the lift?

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 07:02 AM   #172
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Junior View Post
Wow...looking great!!! Really nice progress. Be proud of yourself...bum wrist wont hold you back! Thanks for the pics. Very excited for you��

Thanks Buster Junior! It is getting there, slowly, but surely. Bum wrist and I are learning to live with each other, and make the best of what it is.

I would love to see the updates you've made to your bus.

Clyn
Old 07-24-2021, 07:06 AM   #173
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Hello Clyn
Your cabinets and your entire build is looking awesome, you’re making fantastic progress on your build since you started a short time ago. Keep up the great work.
Cheers

Thanks Oscar1! It is getting there. It was difficult to envision how much space there would be i.e.) between items, walkways, etc. Now that I am getting things in the bus, I can see how things will work, and it is really amazing at how much space I actually have to wander around in.

Clyn
Old 07-24-2021, 07:28 AM   #174
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Looking good Clyn, how old is Rebel?

Sure looks looks like good storage and you still have the space above the windows .
What is up with the last ceiling bow just before the lift. Looks it got cut of?
What are you planning in place of the lift?

Johan

Hi JoeBlack5,

My handsome man (Phantom) Rebel clocks in around 120lbs and just turned 4 years old. His original name was Rebel, but I added the Phantom because of his facial split colouring (Phantom of the Opera), and for the fact he is a Rebel Without A Cause.

He would ride shotgun with me in the delivery truck, and then hop in the driver's seat when I jumped out. Everyone loved him and folks would stop to talk to him through the window, and then there were the photo sessions at least 5 times a day. But, he is scary enough, that no one would dare steal my truck.

He is such a good boy!

The last centre ceiling panel is tied into the AC unit. I need a few helping hands to lower the AC, its bracket, and the ceiling panel. Right now we are in peak season and it is all hands on deck to keep up with the demand- the island is absolutely crazy right now, and make hay while the sun is shining.

When the lift comes out, I would like to move the end of the bed against the lift doors, and have that 'lift space' at the head of the bed for a storage headboard.

Nothing floor plan wise is set in stone...everything will find its own place in the bus.

I can't wait to get the bus on the road. I'd love to head across the US, then up into BC and make my way home to NB. I have relatives that live out in Burnaby. Haven't seen them in years. They only came back to NB once every 5 years or so.

Clyn
Attached Thumbnails
20210506_163438.jpg   20210412_214318.jpg  
Old 07-24-2021, 09:35 AM   #175
Skoolie

Mornin Clynn. So...my bus is in painter's jail. I have a friend who is "hooking me up" with his exterior. So I waited very patiently until he had time to squeeze me in. He said plan on leaving it for a couple of weeks. It has now been a couple of months and i keep hoping it will be soon. I had such anxiety in this wait. Now it feels like despair. My spring mojo is completely gone. Hind sight... That's why i have had no updates��
Old 07-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #176
Skoolie

Quote:
Mornin Clynn. So...my bus is in painter's jail. I have a friend who is "hooking me up" with his exterior. So I waited very patiently until he had time to squeeze me in. He said plan on leaving it for a couple of weeks. It has now been a couple of months and i keep hoping it will be soon. I had such anxiety in this wait. Now it feels like despair. My spring mojo is completely gone. Hind sight... That's why i have had no updates��

Wow! I feel your pain. I hate being on other people's time, not to mention the time you are losing by having it sit there for two months. But with that said, even with the windows/roof hatch open, the summer heat is horrible when working inside the bus. Keep your chin up though, I bet it will look fabulous once you get it back with a new paint job! Can't wait to see it!

Clyn
Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #177
Skoolie

The hope that his paint job will look fab is what is keeping me going. I just keep thinking how much better it will be with him doing it instead of me. I have seen a few updated pics from him and i am optimistic that "all's well that ends well" will apply to this situation. And his new look will have me not digging too deep to recapture my motivation�� Thanks for the pep talk. Keep up the GREAT work!!!
Old 07-25-2021, 07:21 AM   #178
Skoolie

Quote:
The hope that his paint job will look fab is what is keeping me going. I just keep thinking how much better it will be with him doing it instead of me. I have seen a few updated pics from him and i am optimistic that "all's well that ends well" will apply to this situation. And his new look will have me not digging too deep to recapture my motivation�� Thanks for the pep talk. Keep up the GREAT work!!!

A little faith can go a long way, and I have every confidence it will look great!
Old 07-25-2021, 08:02 AM   #179
Skoolie

Here is another not-so quick update on my bus....

The other day, I had the opportunity to grab a free bookcase made of wood. My thought was that I could tear the case apart and cut the pieces and make a few simple cabinets out of it- a little shelf between the couch and the entryway, an under bed cabinet and a start to my closet.

A friend and I picked up the bookcase. It was huge- about 10 feet long and solid!

It was obvious that there was a house remodel going on at the location, and in talking with the owner about what I was planning for the bookcase, he mentions "Oh, I have some closet doors you may be interested in..." My first thought was- damn, I'm not interested in sliding closet doors. My poker face must have been on vacation, because the owner says "they are wood and made of cedar or something along those lines. Cedar...? OK, let me take a look at them.

So we walk over the the side porch, and here are these beautiful, tongue and groove doors with brass hinges and (boat-styled) hinges. I immediately fell in love and asked how much for the 5 doors. I couldn't believe it when he said 'Free." Didn't have to say it twice, and those doors were loaded on the truck and headed for the bus.

On the way to the bus, I stop off and grab my van while my friend and I go separate ways before meeting up at the bus.

I pull into where the bus is parked, get in, open the windows to let the hot air out of the bus, and notice a truck stopping on the road and a man headed towards the house across the street. No big deal- someone going home.

About two minutes later, my friend pulls in and says to me "guess, we are going to be here for awhile." Thinking no not really, it won't take long to off-load this stuff, I ask my friend 'What makes you think that? His reply was, the house next door is on fire. What?!!! There is nothing on fire, no smoke, no smell, etc.

I look around and then through the trees I see the smoke wafting in the air around the house across the street. I run over and see the man who I thought was going home was standing there with the garden house spaying the front of the house down.

I called the fire dept. explained the situation and told them basically the fire was out but they needed to come and check the house to make sure nothing was smoldering inside the walls.

Apparently, cigarette butts and the shingles going up the front of the house had been smoldering all night long. Neighbors at the scene stated that they had seen the smoke and smell in the air but thought it was someone BBQing.

Thankfully the one neighbor driving by spotted the problem!

After all the excitement, we got the truck unloaded, and I attempted to dismantle the bookcase, but it was so WELL built, I would end up totally destroying it, so I opted to keep it intact and pass it onto someone else.

The 5 closet doors on the other hand, are going to make perfect walls for both my closet and bathroom in my bus!

That's it for today. Have a great weekend!

Clyn
Attached Thumbnails
20210724_182912.jpg   20210724_164005.jpg   20210724_163954.jpg   20210724_180713.jpg  
Old 07-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #180
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Wow, those doors will be awesome!
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluebird, girardin, micro bird