Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #2301
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive found some fairly slim under dash cool only units.. VW beetle A/C parts are somewhat compact.. but there are a bunch of kits out there for under-dash vent stuff... it seems your dash area is even smaller than ol trunt's.

somehow ive always been able to find a place for A/C.. its always been a MUST...

first thing I did when I bought that DEV bus last year and drove it from tampa to ohio in late may was sweat... second thing i did was devise dashboard A/C.. lol..

I just need to get down and see your bus and we can brainstorm it out...
-Christopher

Old 05-25-2017, 07:57 PM   #2302
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
You are welcome anytime Chris --- I can probably arrange an electrical hookup outside my art studios near downtown. Dredman spent a few days here and it seemed to work out fine. At the moment we have a lot of construction going on and it might be dicey locking in a space but worth a shot. Your savvy on things A/C would be a welcome change from the funny looks I get from the parts houses who can't do anything without a VIN number to work from.

And Jack...I LOVE those vintage rubber bladed "Trucker" fans. Been keeping my eyes out for one myself.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 PM   #2303
Bus Geek

More brake stuff --- Today I got a start on the mongo bracket I need to mount the Hydroboost master cylinder. Had a local shop fold some quarter inch plate 90 degrees then started cutting, fabbing and drilling.

Almost there. Will have to partially mount it then drill a few more holes that will mate to some that are already there.

Here is how the master will sit. The whole thing will attach not to the frame, but to a fishplate that runs from the front to the rear suspension. No need to drill the frame which is good.

Need to start plumbing this set up soon. New lines from stem to stern.

ONWARD!
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM   #2304
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You are welcome anytime Chris --- I can probably arrange an electrical hookup outside my art studios near downtown. Dredman spent a few days here and it seemed to work out fine. At the moment we have a lot of construction going on and it might be dicey locking in a space but worth a shot. Your savvy on things A/C would be a welcome change from the funny looks I get from the parts houses who can't do anything without a VIN number to work from.

And Jack...I LOVE those vintage rubber bladed "Trucker" fans. Been keeping my eyes out for one myself.
LOL - my idea of "camping" would be to "hook me up" with the Address of the closest hampton inn hehehe. we do needto get together.. whens the next houston get together?
-Christopher
Old 05-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #2305
Bus Geek

Oooops...I forgot about your Survivor Man requirements including room service . I'll PM you the address of my art studio. Since it is almost downtown there should be plenty of choices.

As for another Skoolie gathering...I'm always up for that. And having you as Guest Speaker & Resident Skoolie Guru of All Things Technical should make for a strong draw. Let us know what the best timing for you might be and I'll see if I can round up the boys.

Let's do this!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM   #2306
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oooops...I forgot about your Survivor Man requirements including room service . I'll PM you the address of my art studio. Since it is almost downtown there should be plenty of choices.

As for another Skoolie gathering...I'm always up for that. And having you as Guest Speaker & Resident Skoolie Guru of All Things Technical should make for a strong draw. Let us know what the best timing for you might be and I'll see if I can round up the boys.

Let's do this!
ha! actually the lodging requirement goes more like..

1. working Toilet and shower
2. BAR!!
3. A/C
4. BAR!!
5. Bed
6. BAR!!
7. Nearby starbucks
-Christopher
Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #2307
Bus Geek

Similar needs here but I can get by without 1, 3, 5 & 7.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:42 PM   #2308
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Similar needs here but I can get by without 1, 3, 5 & 7.
Tango - If you need to do the hook up for Chris, I probably have what it takes to do the hook up for him. We can most certainly have him as the guest speaker...... He says the most important thing is the bar.

LET US KNOW CHRIS !!!!!
Old 05-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #2309
Bus Geek

this sounds like fun!!

I do want to get my new Trans bits in the RedByrd.. the bucking bronco isnt alot of fun to drive right now... i never could stay on one of those electric bulls past #2 .. I really dont wanna fall out of my driver seat...

though having the trans shift directly from 1-4 does give the old Hotrod style BANG! shift!
that we used to actually try and purposely build into our rods..
-Christopher
Old 05-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #2310
Bus Geek

Hey Chris --- just give us a window of time and we will begin the gathering of the clan. The BAR part...we got covered.

Phatman --- Let's go ahead and get the word out to the locals so we can plan a proper reception.

Meanwhile...Did a little more on the brake system today. Drilling out the fishplate and bracket was a bear. No room for the drill, hot chips down the neck. Just the usual.

Here is the bracket in place. The bolts across the top are oddly spaced and aligned because I chose to use some existing holes that were already there through both the frame and fishplate.

Test fit of the master cylinder. Uh-Oh. Something must be wrong if it seems to fit on the first try. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Went ahead and began cleaning and rust proofing the metal on both the frame and the bracket just in case.

ONWARD!
Old 05-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #2311
Bus Geek

Wow!! It looks like it was Factory made to fit right there.. only thing is dowsnt the master cylinder for the brakes have to be higher than the highest brake line? So as not to trap any air in the lines but have it burp to the reservoire?
Christopher
Old 05-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #2312
Bus Geek

I do know this system has to be power bled when set up, but all of the old school underfloor masters were in about the same location, i.e., attached to the frame. All the lines go more or less up from there on those as well. And to tell the truth, I will have to measure the brakes to see where this thing actually sits in relation to them.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:46 AM   #2313
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
.. have to have something heat wise down low for the feeties...

-Christopher
Theres so little wiggle room under the dash I think that heater is called "the engine"
Old 05-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #2314
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Tango,

With all this, are you SURE you're NOT a secret undercover engineer for GM?????? HMMMMM?????
Old 05-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #2315
Bus Geek

Only if 'GM" stands for "Gross Misconduct".

BTW...have you gotten the word that Chris (aka; Cadillac) will be heading our way at some time in the near future? We need to confirm his schedule but want to get all the area miscreants together for a proper Texas welcome. Watch for updates.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #2316
Bus Geek

Brake Bracket Be Done --- That's one small step for an old man, one giant leap for buskind.

Painted on a mix of acid and soapy water to take off the scale and rust. Works just dandy at getting it down to clean metal then hit it with just a stripping pad.

Next came some rust converter and several coats of paint. Also cleaned, treated and painted the frame area where it will hang while I was under there. Will do the rest as I finish welding and hanging stuff.

Black on black makes it a bit hard to see, but it is now securely bolted down (I LOVE flange nuts & bolts). Will wait until some brake plumbing is done before mounting the master cylinder.

And, just to kill some time while waiting on Happy Hour, I put down more rust converter and some paint on part of the floor.

Like the frame, I am having to do a bit at a time. I added a heavy coat of Rustoleum mixed with Magic Pixie Dust...aka; the HyTech beads on top of the converter. I know there are a lot of opinions regarding their efficacy, but having seen and felt them in action on metal here in Texas heat, I am sold. No...they won't do what 3" of foam will do but hey...Number 1. - I don't even have room for another quarter inch on my floor...and, Number 2. - I have no desire to be anywhere that ice forms on vehicles. That is a signal for rational people to move closer to the Equator!

ONWARD!
Old 05-28-2017, 10:09 PM   #2317
Bus Geek

Quote:
Brake Bracket Be Done --- That's one small step for an old man, one giant leap for buskind.

Painted on a mix of acid and soapy water to take off the scale and rust. Works just dandy at getting it down to clean metal then hit it with just a stripping pad.

Next came some rust converter and several coats of paint. Also cleaned, treated and painted the frame area where it will hang while I was under there. Will do the rest as I finish welding and hanging stuff.

Black on black makes it a bit hard to see, but it is now securely bolted down (I LOVE flange nuts & bolts). Will wait until some brake plumbing is done before mounting the master cylinder.

And, just to kill some time while waiting on Happy Hour, I put down more rust converter and some paint on part of the floor.

Like the frame, I am having to do a bit at a time. I added a heavy coat of Rustoleum mixed with Magic Pixie Dust...aka; the HyTech beads on top of the converter. I know there are a lot of opinions regarding their efficacy, but having seen and felt them in action on metal here in Texas heat, I am sold. No...they won't do what 3" of foam will do but hey...Number 1. - I don't even have room for another quarter inch on my floor...and, Number 2. - I have no desire to be anywhere that ice forms on vehicles. That is a signal for rational people to move closer to the Equator!

ONWARD!
alas maybe we dont need a heater for your feeties!! I tend to believe in the follow the sun mentality... well heckj I just follow anything as an excuse to drive a school bus across the country.. I'll even follow a "buzz".. but I wont cop one till I reach the destination..

my next trip south will be to pick up the MasterPiece of an Allison that will be my ultimate saviour and solve every problem on my Bus.. (at least todays problems. cant speak for tomorrow's)..

doesnt it feel good though to be actually installing pieces that make your bus work? and not just sanding and welding and sanding and welding metal that seems to look .. well like metal still after you are done...

-Christopher
Old 05-29-2017, 12:47 AM   #2318
Bus Geek

I will never understand why anyone lives where the ground freezes solid for 8 months out of the year. Sure, maybe a nice weekend in ski country just for a change, but then...go home to a warmer climate!

And yes, it feels much better to be assembling something than just taking a wrecking bar to it. I just wish that I didn't have to make each and every part by hand before putting it on.

And here's to a great experience with your shiny new Allie! They really do look awesome just sitting on a pallet.

Mmmmmm...
Old 05-30-2017, 08:37 PM   #2319
Bus Geek

Off on another tangent...again --- I'm kind of on hold with the engine and tranny right now, plus my sheetmetal shop is running WAY behind on two projects so I jumped onto some other things.

First I sat down and drew up plans for the cooling system. It will consist of a custom radiator, charge air cooler, shroud and fan, all in one package more or less. Sent those off and will follow up with a check tomorrow to get that started.

Today I got back on my rear deck. I've had the pieces cut for a year or so but had put off assembling it mostly 'cause it will be big and heavy. But since I didn't feel like more sanding and bodywork...it won out.

Just making tabs and setting the first parts in place. It will extend 24" with another 24" folded up to make a 48" x 92" deck when down.

Lots more metal to deal with on this.

ONWARD!
Old 05-30-2017, 08:48 PM   #2320
Bus Geek

so this is a folding deck? now thats sweet!! love that idea!.. also interested to see the plans you are using for your engine cooling.. ie how much radiator volume/. area, fan CFM, etc.. (thats the stuff I dig)..

-Christopher
Closed Thread