Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:48 PM   #2641
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Glad to hear things are getting back to normal for you. A bed is something I couldn't go without.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #2642
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger the bed. I just bought a mattress at half off. Gotta love a deal. And the old bed frame is now painted so I will be off the floor come Wednesday when they deliver. Fridge should be here Tuesday.

Now if I can just figure a way out of bankruptcy.

Anybody wanna buy a well used kidney?
Old 09-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #2643
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
Dam I can't help you with bankruptcy, but I would like to give the kidney and the liver a workout with you someday at the Rehab bar. I hope you can get back to work on the bus soon. I am sure that working on the bus will lighten your mood a lot.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #2644
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Tango,

Good to hear you now have a bed! Wife and I are sleeping on our office chairs while we're waiting on HF to get out of the shop. Monday afternoon can't come soon enough. Keep us posted!

M
Old 09-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #2645
Bus Geek

JA --- I must be getting old. I just left REHAB and the band hadn't even started. And Texas Johnny Boy puts on a Helluva show, but I was just too exhausted to hang on.

But, I'll be back. Pick a day. Any day.

M --- And good to hear Heavy is close to coming home. Man am I ever anxious to get back to work on my rig. I think I hate losing a month of bus building more than the bed and computer stuff.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #2646
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
JA --- I must be getting old. I just left REHAB and the band hadn't even started. And Texas Johnny Boy puts on a Helluva show, but I was just too exhausted to hang on.

But, I'll be back. Pick a day. Any day.

M --- And good to hear Heavy is close to coming home. Man am I ever anxious to get back to work on my rig. I think I hate losing a month of bus building more than the bed and computer stuff.
Tango,

I second that motion with inertia and apathy.... Er, empathy....

M
Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #2647
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
hang in there Tango-man!! and drink a CROWN for me at Rehab!!!.. once you guys get back to some type of normalcy i seriously want to come hang out and down a few at Rehab!

id be going for on of that FEMA money you can get your hands on! you guys got flooded you should get some!
-Christopher
Old 09-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #2648
Almost There

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3
TANGO, sorry to here about the problems. I was deployed to Houston as Harvey was moving out of the area and flew around the area for 9 days. I could'nt begin to explain what I saw.

Last weekend we went back to the Beaumont area and helped muck out houses. It is heartbreaking to see peoples lives piled up at the curb.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4606.jpg   IMG_4620.jpg   IMG_4619.jpg  
Old 09-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #2649
Almost There

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3
Im not sure why my computer is turning my pics 90* to the left. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1566.jpg   IMG_1568.jpg   IMG_1570.jpg   IMG_1564.jpg   IMG_1565.jpg  

Old 09-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #2650
Bus Geek

Flyer --- Many thanks for your efforts pardner. I've met a lot of really great people while digging out here. Some old friends I hadn't seen in ages. Many total strangers. And even with the damage done at my place, I feel lucky and blessed (through no fault of my own, I assure you). It could have been so much worse. My heart goes out to all those who lost everything including the poor folks down in Puerto Rico. Man...that place took a double whammy on a nuclear scale.

Did finally manage to pick up a single Cummins part and get it on the bus.

Whoop.

Just a special clamp to hook up the piping between the turbo & CAC.

Off to find a new oil feed line for the turbo this afternoon. Cummins couldn't find any measurements on what they had so I'll dig around a bit before jumping off on that one. Needs to be a certain length to fit right.

And...still working on getting this new computer up and running so...no pix at the moment.

My sincere apologies to Jack/Ol' Trunt since he is Vice-President in charge of monitoring that aspect of this forum. I will try and do better soon Jack...really I will.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:56 PM   #2651
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14
Were you better or worse off compared to being in your old place?

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
Old 09-28-2017, 03:03 PM   #2652
Bus Geek

The new shop is much better. And...it has A/C. It stayed above flood level too, so I am happy working there. But...I do prefer sleeping elsewhere. Hopefully my new mattress will arrive this evening (they screwed up the delivery yesterday) and I will finally be off the concrete after a month. My old bones are getting cranky with the current situation.

Managed to grab a couple of "progress" (LOL) pix of the bus.

Here ya go Jack...yes...it happened.

First...my lame-ass excuse for being behind...

My studio. And this was after it went down a foot or two. Got between 6-7 feet deep along part of the side street which slopes down as it goes back away from the camera.

Custom machined turbo to CAC adapter and fancy-schmancy Cummins clamp. No...a regular V-band clamp would not do.

First section of CAC pipe attached. I will be rotating the two bottom clamps around to the outside just give a little distance from the exhaust manifold.

From the front. A silicone coupler will fit a "Z" section the rest of the way to the CAC.

Still a lot to do related to Harvey but I hope to be spending more quality time with my shorty soon.

ONWARD!
Old 09-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #2653
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Good idea to rotate those clamps as it will reduce the heat load on the coupler. Speaking of the coupler, I gather the coupler in the pic is silicone because you mentioned that the upper one will be. Silicone rubber really handles the heat well.

By the way, you got those pics posted just in time. I was able to recall the picture police before they managed to get too far. Jack
Old 09-28-2017, 08:19 PM   #2654
Bus Geek

Howdy Jack --- yep, moving those clamps is a must do. The connector is silicone but no need to do full, destructive testing on it. I also plan on slipping a little heat shield in there as well. Might take some of the load off the CAC. Just saw a racing set up that injected CO2 or some such gas around the pipes to chill the air even more. Doubt I'll go that far.

And thanks for calling off the picture police. Hey...I'm dancing as fast as I can here.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:49 AM   #2655
Bus Geek

OK..Finally back at it...sort of --- Still chasing many parts, bits and pieces but did wrap up the work on the CAC piping install.

All buttoned up with T-bolt clamps and silicone couplers. And most importantly...it's all shiny!

The tapered noses (and frames) on these older rigs makes for some interesting challenges.

Was a RPITA working around everything else but I also managed to stuff a turbo blanket in place. JACK...please note that the clamps have been rotated away from the manifold.

And...I finally gave up on making pantograph wipers work on this thing. Will go with conventional sweepers (the white lines).

ONWARD!
Old 10-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #2656
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lookin good!! I like to see you back at the shorty!! and all the shineys!!

TCM looks to be in a great place too!! way to go!! looks familiar

what is the turbo blanket on the compressor side for? I was thinking right there your turbo air would be at its hottest and youd want to dissipate it? or are you trying to keep under-hood temps lower there and letting the CAC do the cooling task?
-Christopher
Old 10-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #2657
Bus Geek

Howdy Cadillac --- Definitely good to finally be back "on the bus".
Turbo blankets hold heat in the turbo which makes for less lag time and better throttle response. And in the process, underhood temps are reduced as well. Got the idea from some of the builders over on 4BTSwaps.Com. Pretty good article here...

Turbocharger Heat Shielding - Fact Or Fiction - Import Tuner Magazine

I'm also working up some other heat shielding that I hope will help keep both the incoming air and the air going to the CAC cooler as well. Cool, "fat" air is good air. I even saw a CAC rig that uses high pressure nitrogen to actually refrigerate the air charge going to the cylinders. I'm not that serious about it. If I can just lower the temps a bit...I'll be happy.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #2658
Bus Geek

More heat shielding --- As I mentioned earlier, I want to try and keep some of the radiant exhaust heat away from the incoming air from the filter and also the piping that takes it from the turbo to the CAC.

I cut some "Inferno" shielding down to size to create a barrier between the exhaust manifold and the piping. NOTE...the stainless "foil" covering is razor sharp when cut. Had a surprising amount of blood to wipe up before I could take the next pic.

Wanted a mounting system that would be easy to remove so I made a little bracket out of scrap that will be held in place with a couple of radiator hose clamps around the CAC pipe. Just waiting for some paint to dry and will mount it later today.

ONWARD!
Old 10-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #2659
Bus Geek

Howdy --- managed to sneak in a hour or so today. Got the new heat shield installed.

Front view. It covers the area between the exhaust manifold and the CAC piping. Both the incoming fresh air and the air from the turbo to the CAC.

Rear view. Hopefully this will reduce the radiant heat transferred from the manifold to the engines air supply. Funky little mount but I think it will work. And the Cummins tan paint should take care of any engineering faults.

ONWARD!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:53 PM   #2660
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Howdy --- managed to sneak in a hour or so today. Got the new heat shield installed.

ONWARD!
I agree 100% with the simple mentality of doing something---ANYTHING to push the bus forward. It isn't always sexy or your personal forte, but I try to do something- even ordering or researching components every day.

It's the difference between a beautiful build and a half-completed project for sale on Craigslist.

Now Tango, Are you going to be bummed when that beautiful engine gets a bit of oil on it??? It sooo clean now- look like it belongs in Greenfield Village.
Closed Thread