Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #2661
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wouldnt the air inside the compresor side of the Turbo be Hotter than the general engine compartment air when you have your foot in it? ive heard rumors fresh pre-CAC turbo air can be 300+ degrees F..
-Christopher

Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 PM   #2662
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I'd think you're right that the intake air discharged from the turbo would be pretty warm (at least). Warmer than engine bay ambient wouldn't surprise me. Even so, the exhaust is hotter still. It makes sense that heat from the exhaust manifold could radiate and heat the turbo-to-CAC pipe even further if not for the added shielding. The heat from those components is going to go somewhere; reducing the portion of it that goes into the intake air seems like a good move.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:48 AM   #2663
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
FW --- that is the basic idea. Simply to reduce the heat transfer between the turbo & exhaust manifold...and the incoming air and the turbo to CAC supply. Once the manifold heats up, it radiates a huge amount of heat into everything around it. Especially when the vehicle is sitting still or moving slowly in traffic.

The elements are so tightly packed that the radiant turbo & manifold heat is quickly absorbed by the aluminum intake & CAC piping which pre-heats the intake air supply. Not at all what you want. Any heat reduction in that supply is quite beneficial.

Some of the diesel racers and pulling crowd go to great lengths to cool the air supply going into the cylinders and the payback is really quite significant. There are even some CAC pipes that have integral fins to help shed heat before and after the intercooler...they look really cool but they ain't cheap.

Me...I'm just trying to get some small benefit by not making the CAC work any harder than it has to.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #2664
Bus Geek

I helped on a project years ago where a Guy thought that storing cold coolant and using a water / air CAC would give him an advantage.. we had"A/C" to cool a ballast of coolant.. then the compressor was switched off for any pulling run.. surmising that the extra 35 lbs of A/C equipment compared to the sled was beneficial.. Dyno runs show it really worked.. obviously not practical for a road vehicle.. (ie windmill on the roof syndrome).. but for a racer where it was short term the cold dense air gave an advantage.. till some rule-guy disqualified the truck for some odd reason.. a technicality ofthat cooler.. {no one can be innovative in racing anymore}
-Christopher
Old 10-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #2665
Bus Geek

{no one can be innovative in racing anymore}

Man is that a fact! The "rule guys" have turned American ingenuity into mush. Nothing but a bunch of mail order, Bolt On Chinese crap on most rods and racers these days.

Back in the Olden Days when I raced formula GP bikes, the rulemakers effectively outlawed 2-stroke racing engines. The winingest machines ever created and routinely tweaked by privateers into world beaters. Why?

Because no one else (aka; the major manufacturers) could come up with anything that could touch them. My handbuilt little 373cc, 210 pound cafe bike produced about 135hp on carbureted street gas at 12-13,000 rpm and consistently blew the doors off of highly modified factory 1000 and 1200cc four strokes. BTW...373cc is 23.76 cubic inches.

So much for thinking outside the box.
Old 10-09-2017, 02:59 PM   #2666
Bus Geek

thats the thing.. racing used to be won ON AND OFF the track... I suppose some of it had to do with the high $$$ guys always placng in the top 10.. since they could go out and hire professional engineers to dream up the next fastest thing for their car.. but the stuff that came out of our own garages ..late thursday nights freaking turning parts on lathes and grinding that extra 3 ounces out of a set of heads.. racing in less than 24 hours and your engine was still just a bunch of pistons and bearings on a bench next to the radio blasting alan jackson or hank williams.. and a case of beer (or pizza and mtn dew in my garage).. often beat those $$$ guys friday night under the lights! I suppose they got mad and paid the rules guys off..
-Christopher
Old 10-09-2017, 03:04 PM   #2667
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
{no one can be innovative in racing anymore}

Man is that a fact! The "rule guys" have turned American ingenuity into mush. Nothing but a bunch of mail order, Bolt On Chinese crap on most rods and racers these days.

Back in the Olden Days when I raced formula GP bikes, the rulemakers effectively outlawed 2-stroke racing engines. The winingest machines ever created and routinely tweaked by privateers into world beaters. Why?

Because no one else (aka; the major manufacturers) could come up with anything that could touch them. My handbuilt little 373cc, 210 pound cafe bike produced about 135hp on carbureted street gas at 12-13,000 rpm and consistently blew the doors off of highly modified factory 1000 and 1200cc four strokes. BTW...373cc is 23.76 cubic inches.

So much for thinking outside the box.
Must be something in the blood??

I sure miss my RD's, TZ's and 8v's..,

I have to agree that the rules guys have really hurt the weekend racers.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #2668
Bus Geek

...and innovation in general.

The whole idea of a company having a "racing division" was to insure there was a place for their most free-thinking engineers to test crazy, new ideas.

Theses days...it's all run by the Marketing & PR Departments.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #2669
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I think the fault lies squarely on the shoulders of you innovators and think outside the box type guys. The rules guys were fat, dumb and happy until your type showed up. If you'd just have let the "pros" win every now and then the need for more rule guys and more rules wouldn't have been necessary in the first place! The part I hate the most is the fact that your type caused all this to happen and now I don't dare try anything creative for fear the rule guys will further punish me. I've been forced to become a closet creative thinker and outside the box thinker. I suppose I should hate you all but its way too late to go back and it will never be the good old days again anyway so what the heck----

Crafty Jack
Old 10-09-2017, 09:32 PM   #2670
Bus Geek

Keep your head down Jack...the Rules Guys monitor sites like these for troublemakers.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #2671
Bus Geek

Good thing I occasionally check with the Cummins guys at 4BTswaps. Turns out I screwed up on mounting the turbo blanket. I just went by some pix I saw but it does NOT mount that way on my Holset HX30W. The way I had it might well have cooked something. It needs to be relocated towards the rear half rather than over the front portion of the turbo. I am a total Diesel Dunce...thank goodness there are folks out there to check my work!

ONWARD!
(and occasionally, a few steps back)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #2672
Bus Geek

so does it mount over the turbine and not the compressor?
-Christopher
Old 10-11-2017, 06:32 PM   #2673
Bus Geek

Affirmative Christopher...on the turbine end. Thank goodness I also posted a pic where some real deiselheads noticed I had it bassackwards.

Spent part of the day today mocking up what is the smallest "big rig" style, cowl mount air filter...

...even the smallest is HUGE! Not gonna work for a variety of reasons. I am however, looking into what it would involve to cut one down to size...literally. We'll see where this goes.

Then I threw some rust killer treatment on the last of the exposed floor.

This is the area around the doghouse. I also managed to lay down two coats of enamel mixed with the Hytech pixie dust. After it dries overnight I can lay down the last of the marine ply flooring.

ONWARD!

PS...

One of the greatest advantages of living on a round planet...is that it is always Happy Hour somewhere! And that somewhere is just down the road at the moment, so I have to go now.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #2674
Bus Geek

The Saga Continues --- Just a few more steps closer to the prize...

Two coats of enamel & Magic Pixie Dust (aka; HyTech beads)

then...

...1/2" marine ply, glued & screwed.

And while I was in the neighborhood...

...I corrected my screw up on attaching the turbo blanket. Should be much happier now.

ONWARD!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:08 AM   #2675
Bus Geek

Now that makes total sense to me to wrap the turbine side and not the compressor.. the compressed air will be at its hottest in the compressor and we want it to dissipate heat here. But blanket the exhaust in the turbine to keep the radiant heat off the compressor and the mow temp difference between the EG and ambient the more tendency for flow. Fly w is good spins the turbine faster.

This is lookin good!! Can't wait till you actually make some smoke!
Christopher
Old 10-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #2676
Bus Geek

Yeah...can't wait to see some smoke --- Meanwhile...the boring stuff continues. Stuff like finishing the floor ply and drilling & tapping 15 holes.

Got the last of the marine ply cut and fitted (I really need a table saw). Actually I do still have one small piece to cut. It will fit under my feet in front of the footwell I made. Will attach it without adhesive so that it can be removed should the need ever arise (otherwise, the footwell can't come out without destroying everything around it).

Then there is this bugger...

The footwell I made a year or so ago is finally in place. This thing was a helluva lot of work to put together. It had to accommodate the steering mechanisms, a home made brake system and a homemade throttle assembly in addition to my feet.

Believe it or not, the fifteen 1/4" x 3/4" x 20 bolts that hold it in place took up most of a day. Drilling and tapping each of them through three layers of metal with any precision was a bear.

Measure...mark...confirm clear of obstructions in blind areas...centerpunch...drill 1/8" pilot hole...drill 3/16" hole for tap...run tap through all layers (1/2 turn forward/1/4 turn back while praying out loud the tap does not break off in any of the holes)...drill outer metal to 1/4 for free clearance, then bolt through and tighten. Piece-O-Cake.

Still have to add seam sealer around a few areas but this was a pretty big step. Now if I can just get the parts from my local sheetmetal shop that I dropped off plans for nearly four months ago...

ONWARD!
Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #2677
Bus Geek

footwell looks good!! welcome to Hot-rodding baby!!! you can build a streetrod now!!!

built in theft protection.. no one with big size 11 feet like me would be able to drive your bus.. they go to press the GO and also be on the STOP

-Christopher
Old 10-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #2678
Bus Geek

You got that right Cadillac. Additional security is already in place with the 5'-8" max ceiling height. And once I get all the sharp, pointy-cornered cabinets in...ouch!!!
Old 10-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #2679
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Yeah...can't wait to see some smoke --- Meanwhile...the boring stuff continues.
Oh, I know that feeling when you first turn the key- eyeballs glued to the oil pressure gauge- those 2 seconds feels like an eternity until needle jumps. Your mind is racing with checklists- did I forget this and that?????

We are ALL real excited to see your trailer become a vehicle. It'll be an eye-catcher, for sure.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #2680
Bus Geek

when I was doing gasser stuff I always kept the ignition unolugged and cranked for a bit to see oil pressure before I let it start..

the ONE diesel I rebuilt had a uel solenoid so I left it unplugged and cranked.. then plugged it in, fired it up, turned on the A/C (cause it was a 90 degree july night in a barn.. ).. then drove it like I stole it..
-Christopher
Closed Thread