Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #3101
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
More Baby Steps --- Got the hanger for my tranny cooler put together and painted then spent an hour or so doing more work on a fold down step for my fold down rear deck.

Still need to drill a few holes and maybe weld up some chassis reinforcement for this thing but pretty close to getting some hoses made to hook it to the tranny.

And this is the fisrt part of the drop down/fold out step. The outer frame will attach to the deck with a hinge across the top...then the inner frame will fold down forming the actual step. Obviously have more to do, but this part was trickier than it looks. The step will get some heavy expanded metal.

ONWARD!

Old 02-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #3102
Bus Geek

Safety Meeting Reminder --- Won't be working for a few days. Managed to get ground metal in my eye and it is a beotch.

Yes...I was wearing safety goggles while welding & grinding upside down under the bus, but...shortly after that I turned on my orbital sander and it blew a bunch of the shavings, rust and crap off my shirt...right into my eye.

That was Saturday. Went to the local VA Hospital Triage Center at 5am this morning after getting no sleep for two days. They flushed it out and did not see any metal embedded. Just scratches. Good news. But will be applying drops and ointment for several days that limit vision.

So...play safe Kids and remember... rub a magnet all over yourself after using a grinder. The sight you save may be your own.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #3103
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:23 PM   #3104
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Safety Meeting Reminder --- Won't be working for a few days. Managed to get ground metal in my eye and it is a beotch.

Yes...I was wearing safety goggles while welding & grinding upside down under the bus, but...shortly after that I turned on my orbital sander and it blew a bunch of the shavings, rust and crap off my shirt...right into my eye.

That was Saturday. Went to the local VA Hospital Triage Center at 5am this morning after getting no sleep for two days. They flushed it out and did not see any metal embedded. Just scratches. Good news. But will be applying drops and ointment for several days that limit vision.

So...play safe Kids and remember... rub a magnet all over yourself after using a grinder. The sight you save may be your own.
Get feeling better Tango!!!!!

M
Old 02-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #3105
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
Yes. More fuel typically equates to driving the charger harder. What year is your engine? The early 7.3 had a laggy turbo system. If you can find someone who will tune the 444e, you can certainly pick up power. I wouldn't push the stock charger much past 20-25psi... Starts to get inefficient.

Also, sustained EGTs need to stay under 1200F. More fuel =more heat.. but more air will decrease the EGTs to a point (as long as the charger is within it's efficiency range). You also don't want it billowing black everytime you roll into the pedal or pull a grade. It's a balancing act.

What HP rating is your engine?

Right now, my setup is limited by fuel. I'm on stock injectors and stock pump parts (just tweaked).. and see 35-40psi flat out with peak EGTs around 1k (which is low).. no smoke unless I lug it down from a take off.
my engine is only a 190.. I could get it to 210 if navistar would let me unlock the HP upgrade.. the hardware is the same.. I can bump the fuel in a non conventional way by 'F'ing' with the ICP sensor... this will turn up the HPOP which will result in heavier fueling for the same injector pulsewidth. how do I tell if my turno has a wastegate? as it is now at max RPM i get 15.5 or so PSI out of it.. no idea if its gated or not.. I dont know enough about the particular garrett turbo on this engine..

no one makes a tuner for the 444E.. there was one for the old 3 box system but the diamond system I have had no community interest so tuning wasnt offered..

-Christopher
Old 02-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #3106
Bus Geek

yowsers tango!! ya gotta treat the peepers with respect.. ya only get one setta the damn things...

tranny cooler is lookin good!!!! we might get to go for a bus ride soon!!!
-Christopher
Old 02-26-2018, 07:04 PM   #3107
Bus Geek

Ya...lets hope for that ride soon. Hey...it's been seven years now. C'mon..get this thing moving! Would love to come and visit.

As for the wastegate...numerous versions but it is a big chunk of metal attached to the turbo. Should be easy to spot.

See below...

https://www.google.com/search?q=turb...EIaTAM#imgrc=_
Old 02-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #3108
Bus Geek

I "think" I have found the fan I need. SPAL 14". Has a waterproof, brushless motor and moves a lot of air. Will check the fit manana. Here's hoping.

SPAL 30102056: 14" High-Performance Fan 12V | JEGS

There's a couple on Ebay that include mounting hardware, pigtail and thermostatic controller for a few bucks more.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #3109
Skoolie

Friend of mine did not respect the safety glasses and got a metal shaving in his eye. Took him to the DR and the DR. that pulled it out could not keep his hands steady and terrified us both (we were in high school at the time). Neither one of us will forget that (him more than me due to pain). I try my best to wear wrap around glasses or goggles as I've gotten shavings under my glasses even with a face shield.
Bus is looking good though, keep up the good work once you recover and good luck with the recovery.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Old 02-28-2018, 03:00 AM   #3110
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
Quote:
I "think" I have found the fan I need. SPAL 14". Has a waterproof, brushless motor and moves a lot of air. Will check the fit manana. Here's hoping.

SPAL 30102056: 14" High-Performance Fan 12V | JEGS

There's a couple on Ebay that include mounting hardware, pigtail and thermostatic controller for a few bucks more.

I added a second trans cooler on my Tahoe for pulling my tag along camper. I am in the process of adding a cooling fan for it to use for uphill climbing, since there won't be a mechanical fan on it.

I have the fan itself written down back in my camper at the RV park. I am at work right now. It's a 8" fan made with a shroud for the rectangular design of the cooler itself. I think it moves between 1200 and 2200 cfm if I remember correctly. I'll try to get you the info for it when I get in.

Only bad part is you'd have to add a switch. I'm going to do a manual, since the only time I'll have it running is when it gets up to 210+ F.

-Doc
Old 02-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #3111
Bus Geek

im a huge "fan" of SPAL fans.. many of the factory skirt mounted A/C condensors have SPAL from the fasctory or are used as replacements.. ive had great luck with them. there are different kinds of thermostatic controllers.. the most simple one is simple a mechanical controller with a sense "rod" you put into the coil. that type of controller is all mechanical. and you wire it to a good solid relay.. (your fan will have pretty heavy start current so use a hefty relay.. ) there are also various electronic controllers. which could be mounted and adjusted from inside the bus... the mechanical controller wopuld have a knob you could adjust but usually only reaches within a couple feet of the coil. ie used the SPAL variable controller as it eliminates that start current and slowly runs the fan up or down as required.. .. you can also wire a switch to that controller to run the fan up to high speed.

I think you'll find your allison runs nice and cool without a lot of effort. my allison 1000 even climbing mountains with the bus loaded down on the stock radiator-loop cooler never goes above 195.. usually sits somewhere in the 185-190 range or well under if its cold outside..
-Christopher
Old 02-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #3112
Bus Geek

Doc --- the SPAL I have found moves about 3100 cfm and in kit form comes with thermostatic switch. I am going with a "pusher" fan mounted on top of a cooler that lies parallel to the ground up under the bus body. Too much stuff stacked in front of the motor to put one there.

Christopher --- My car builder buddy totally agrees. Said he won't use anything but a SPAL. The motors are now all brushless and fully waterproof and they consistently move more air than other units of similar size.

Just need to get back to where I can "focus" on this project. With an eye full of Vaseline-like medication, that's still hard to do right now.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #3113
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Tango- You may be a crusty ol' sea dog, but you don't need an eye patch, matey.

Yeah it sucks when you take proper safety precautions and still get hurt.

Take time to heal properly
Old 02-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #3114
Bus Geek

Thanks Guido. I always was a big Popeye fan, but I'd just as soon stop at just the pipe.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:06 PM   #3115
Bus Geek

Absolutely NO progress to report --- But...I did drop by The ArtCar Museum tonight and saw a couple of genuine wonders!

One was a 1910 Bianchi Landolet. The only one in the world. And 99.9% original. An absolutely amazing piece of craftsmanship and coach work. Between the lacquered woodwork, beveled glass and brass everywhere, it really was a wonderment. And yes...it still runs and drives. Pretty amazing for an un-restored, 108 year old car. Did not have my camera, but found a pic online...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacofoto/13995224250

The other was a 1937 Packard Super Eight. One of five in the world. Cannot recall the model/body style but the driver area has a cutaway/open roof. Met the owner who showed me some pix of what it looked like when he found it. Looked like a pile of rusted scrap metal piled up on a trailer. No doors, no wheels, no glass and most of the drivetrain missing. He has been working on it non-stop since about 1978 and though it was drop dead gorgeous, he said "it still has a few details" to be completed.

Between the two, they gave me some hope for my 72 year old bus.

Have a great weekend all.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #3116
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
I'd not seen this before but I guess Firepunk reached the ISB limit at 2200hp. 2500 tq.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9&&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 03-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #3117
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
I'd not seen this before but I guess Firepunk reached the ISB limit at 2200hp. 2500 tq.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9&&FORM=VRDGAR
I am pretty sure I would not be standing around smiling after that many thousands of dollar detonation.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:44 PM   #3118
Bus Geek

I've seen a few engines go kablooey but nothing quite like that. The entire block explodes but leaves the crankshaft sitting there spinning. Kool!

Oh well...back to the drawing board.
Old 03-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #3119
Bus Geek

Quote:
I've seen a few engines go kablooey but nothing quite like that. The entire block explodes but leaves the crankshaft sitting there spinning. Kool!

Oh well...back to the drawing board.
I LOVE that videol.. I saw it when it firsrt came out... and thought WOW!! now thats BLOWING UP an engine!!!

-Christopher
Old 03-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #3120
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
I am pretty sure I would not be standing around smiling after that many thousands of dollar detonation.
If I broke a world record...yep, and memorialize the pieces

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Closed Thread