Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #3281
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
Smile '46 Chevy Shorty

Oh yes, the weather, was cool and wet here for weeks, now so darn hot that everyone is cranky and uncooperative.

Got some more cleaning done, but ungrateful roomies I have left don't want to relax and enjoy the bonus of extra tools the hoarder left behind--he owes me $4000 and they want to give his stuff back

NO WAY. I am keeping what I got because over the years ex boyfriends have stolen my tools and I need replacements. When Pit Stop is cleaned out I will need tools to remodel her into what I want. Like your tower for your E break Tango. I don't have to worry about that but can appreciate a job well done and that tower looks great.

Have a great night. I'm going to relax now after fighting these bird brains I live with! Cheers, Lois

Old 06-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #3282
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just a little tropical wave here for a few days but folks in Houston are still jumpy after all the Hell & High Water that hurricane Harvey brought to town last year.

And I am with you 100%. Keep it all as a down payment on what is owed you!
Old 06-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #3283
Almost There

Smile '46 Chevy Shorty

Thank You Tango!

I put my foot down last night and told the bird brains here that I'm keeping what I need and finding someone who will appreciate the rest.

They don't understand that what I'm doing is like an intervention on an addict.
Even the hoarder's brother doesn't get that hoarding is a mental illness and I sent him an article from Wikipedia!

oh well, I have about 3 other friends who will help me sort out and get rid of whatever is left after we get all the tools and things that are useful out of my house, barn and poor Pit Stop!

I've worked a bit hard on this project and cleaning the travel trailer I got, so later today I am going to my chiropractor because I ache.

Found good stuff in trailer too! Two computer tablets and a small solar panel. Tablets work okay but the solar panel is pretty old and only puts out about 1 amp.

Take Care, Cheers, Lois
Old 06-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #3284
Bus Geek

Good for you. The Texas Rangers (the lawmen...not the baseball team) used to carry a coin back in the "old days". On one side is said..."Do right and fear no man". On the other, in pigeon Latin it read..."Don't let the bastards grind you down".

I try to keep both thoughts top of mind. Especially these days.

Best of luck getting back on the build.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:36 AM   #3285
Bus Geek

BTW --- just came across a bus parts dealer I have not heard mentioned before. They go by Bus Parts.Com now and have been in biz in Alexandria, Louisiana since 1956. Found them while trying to source replacement rub rails for my '46. No...they did not have anything THAT old but they do have some later rails that will do the job. It appears they have new, used and NOS (new old stock) for most makes.

I will be driving over there next week to pick them up and will report back what I find. Meanwhile, here is the link...

School Bus Parts
Old 06-19-2018, 11:03 AM   #3286
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
yo tango

I have noticed a 46 chevy truck on the Topeka Craigslist. I did not know if you needed any firewall forward parts for a 46. Or frame and running gear.

william
Old 06-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #3287
Bus Geek

Many thanks William, but the front end on this old gal is in surprisingly good shape. Took a peek anyway though. Looks like a good candidate for a custom or rat rod.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #3288
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I will be curious on the bus parts too. I called him and he was a good bit cranky, and did not seem to hear me well. Maybe in person will work better, good luck.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:14 AM   #3289
Almost There

Smile '46 Chevy Shorty

Thanks for the info Tango. I'll file it for whenever I find the interior of Pit Stop. Still cleaning and I think every muscle in my body aches right now.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #3290
Bus Geek

Having fits trying to locate/source the necessary parts to put together a windshield defroster system that can be attached to an over the road A/C unit. Cadillac had mentioned some 1-1/4" flex hose used for RV central vac systems but I have not been able to find any other components in that size. Looks like all the automotive stuff is a minimum of 2" (outlets/vents & such) and much of it 2-1/2 to 4". Had hoped to find something like an adjustable or rotating outlet that could be directed where needed on the windshield in the 1-14' size but no luck so far.

If anyone is familiar with something like what's outlined above, I would be forever grateful for a heads up.

Have I ever mentioned that building an entire bus pretty much from scratch can be exhausting at times?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #3291
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
air cooled vw 32mm = 1.25"

Vw used 32mm hose... air cooled.... If vw used them, then likely porsche, and audi too.
also consider going to the junk yard, look at cars with dash removed.... my old datsun 240 z comes to mind, plastic parts the have a slit used for windshield defrost ducts..... I find wandering pull apart kind of salvage yards useful. Also look at the bus supply places they sell vents for driver/dash.

william
Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #3292
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Have I ever mentioned that building an entire bus pretty much from scratch can be exhausting at times?
Not nearly as much as I would have......your patience amazes me at times.

But then again.....I'm just building a bus. You're crafting a rolling sculpture.

The Busted Flush
Old 06-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #3293
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yeah, but that was 7 years ago.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:25 PM   #3294
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
[QUOTE=Tango;276206]Having fits trying to locate/source the necessary parts to put together a windshield defroster system that can be attached to an over the road A/C unit. Cadillac had mentioned some 1-1/4" flex hose used for RV central vac systems but I have not been able to find any other components in that size. Looks like all the automotive stuff is a minimum of 2" (outlets/vents & such) and much of it 2-1/2 to 4". Had hoped to find something like an adjustable or rotating outlet that could be directed where needed on the windshield in the 1-14' size but no luck so far.

If anyone is familiar with something like what's outlined above, I would be forever grateful for a heads up.

For the 1-1/4" tubing/hose and adjustable swivel fittings I would look at a hot tub,spa, pool supplier.
The bulkhead fittings for the pool side walls are adjustable angle and the
1-1/4" to 1-1/2" hot tub spa tubing is a heavier duty braided rubber tubing.
Good luck
Old 06-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #3295
Almost There

Smile '46 Chevy Shorty

Cleaning a whole bus from scratch is also exhausting Tango, but I've got to work some more on Pit Stop tonight.

I'm slowly finding charities to take the bags and bags of clothes and boxes of shoes, and OMG the rats nests, Poor Pit Stop is going to need a good scrubbing out after this and I'll be raking rats nests out of my barn and the lean-to on the woodshed.

BUT when its all done I'll have a clean bus I can put a new floor in and finally turn into my outdoor living room/spare room, found 2 good camp cots I can use for beds in there and I've got spare chairs to put out there for relaxing in

Good Luck with yours, will take pictures when I get mine done, I don't want any off you to see it in its current messy state, Cheers all
Old 06-22-2018, 11:21 AM   #3296
Almost There

Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Having fits trying to locate/source the necessary parts to put together a windshield defroster system that can be attached to an over the road A/C unit. Cadillac had mentioned some 1-1/4" flex hose used for RV central vac systems but I have not been able to find any other components in that size. Looks like all the automotive stuff is a minimum of 2" (outlets/vents & such) and much of it 2-1/2 to 4". Had hoped to find something like an adjustable or rotating outlet that could be directed where needed on the windshield in the 1-14' size but no luck so far.

Might be worth a call to Old Air Products (817) 531-2665 https://www.oldairproducts.com/ they make universal A/C systems for hot rods and such. Did a great job helping me get A/C sorted out in my Scout.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #3297
Bus Geek

Thanks Guido. I had checked them out a while back but only found 2" stuff. Have been trying to locate anything smaller. Like 1 to 1/1/2" but beginning to believe it does not exist. At least not with all the parts required.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:31 PM   #3298
Bus Geek

Thanks for the tip on VW/Porsche stuff. Will have to make a trip to the scrap yard.

And...I FINALLY wraped up the big cement sculpting project that has kept me away from my bus for the past 2-1/2 or so months. A table that seats ten plus another half-dozen on the trunk/bench part.

Now maybe I can get some "other" work done. If any of you Skoolies are in the neighborhood (RE:HAB Bar on the Bayou, Houston, TX) stop in and I'll buy you a cold one.

Guido...you and a few locals already know where this is. Shoot me a note and stop in sometime.

ONWARD!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #3299
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Awesome bench and table. Got any close up shots of it.
Nevermind, more pics just popped up.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:11 PM   #3300
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
BTW --- just came across a bus parts dealer I have not heard mentioned before. They go by Bus Parts.Com now and have been in biz in Alexandria, Louisiana since 1956. Found them while trying to source replacement rub rails for my '46. No...they did not have anything THAT old but they do have some later rails that will do the job. It appears they have new, used and NOS (new old stock) for most makes.

I will be driving over there next week to pick them up and will report back what I find. Meanwhile, here is the link...

School Bus Parts
I tried them several times for parts but they never had anything at all. Seems like they have stuff if your bus is super old or brand new but not much between.
Closed Thread