Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #3321
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey Yugo...here's hoping getting out into Nature will help bring some calmness in an otherwise chaotic world.

William...thanks and yes, I have heard of issues with the wrap. But my homework seemed to indicate the worst issues were with carbon steel pipe. On one hand it couldn't take the amount of heat being trapped in...and on the other it rusted like crazy because the wrap hold moisture. Not problems on race cars that get rebuilt twice a month but can be a real issue when it is in place long term.

To avoid those problems, I went with stainless steel that I had ceramic coated inside and out. Will hopefully get the benefits without suffering the problems.

Old 07-02-2018, 09:11 AM   #3322
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
racing background

I think you have pretty much done all you can do...... I just saw the wrap in one of the last photographs and though I would chime in with my experience.

I was seeing cracks in mild steel and stainless. The stainless was cracking at weld zones and I suspect wrong filler was used in the weld process. Also the thickness of the welds were three or four times the tubing thickness, contributing to a stress riser, in my opinion.

william
Old 07-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #3323
Bus Geek

Ya...the wrong welding can kill any tubing. Or just about any other chunk-O-metal for that matter. Here's hoping what I have will last my lifetime.

Meanwhile...

Just got onto the next project. And this on involves another custom cable. As usual, nothing on this build can be "off the shelf" so I had to rip into the Allison shifter. It is straight mechanical but (naturally) had to be "adjusted".

The angles on the cable connection are critical and since I had to modify the angle of the cable bracket in order for it to go through the dash...other stuff had to be moved as well.

The bolt holes for capturing the cable end would not line up right so I wound up having to alter the angle by maybe 2 degrees. Like I said...it really is critical. Like everything else, getting the bits and pieces meant four trips to the hardware store. Seems I spend as much time chasing nuts & bolts in my car as I do actually working on stuff. Drill a hole from the back...spot weld the spacer...tack the corners...drill new holes a half a millimeter or so off to one side...then see if it lines up. Success! Maybe. Will know shortly.

Now on to the lower part of this drill. Need to get a super critical measurement for the total cable length then work out how long the "conduit" needs to be. Conduit. That's a new word I learned from the cable guys. It is the outer covering for these cables. I always just called them a "sheath" Who knew?

Had to get an exact measure on the stroke of both the shifter and the trans lever. Turns out they are both 3". My first measure came up with 4" on the trans lever, then (using better light) I noticed the two holes are marked "W/O Park"...and "W/Park". Mine has park and that brought the measure back to the proper 3".

Will spend tomorrow sweating and trying to get a good measurement for this thing.

ONWARD!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #3324
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
We normally call the sheath the casing on a cable. Never heard it called conduit in 50 years of building motorcycles with custom cables.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #3325
Bus Geek

Was a new one on me too. But that's all these guys do so I'll take their word for it...but probably still call it a "sheath" or casing around anyone else.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #3326
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Was a new one on me too. But that's all these guys do so I'll take their word for it...but probably still call it a "sheath" or casing around anyone else.
This new young generation is comng up with all kinds of new words, Just cause they say it, don't make it so.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #3327
Bus Geek

No youngsters in this bunch. They are Orscheln distributors and have been doing this work for over forty years. Mostly heavy equipment and OTR truck stuff.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:10 AM   #3328
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
you can disassemble those shifters and flip those plates over and such... I found mine was off for where it needs to go in the bus. I took the plate off and ended up flipping it over to get a perfect set of holes.. they apparently made a bunch of different applications for the same shifter parts...

-Christopher
Old 07-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #3329
Bus Geek

Yea!...got the tranny hooked up today. Of course it did take two tries at the cable which costed me an extra hundred bucks. No idea where I went wrong but came up 3-1/2" short on the first try! I used single ought cable to try and get my measures because it is about the same diameter as the actual cable...but...

At least it is shifting from Park all the way through "1" so it should be OK. As previously noted, the whole cable thing is a mofo as far as measurements. Just happy it only took two tries to get it right!

Will try to get some pix in the early am. That's the only time my shop is below 104 degrees.

ONWARD!
Old 07-04-2018, 01:39 AM   #3330
Bus Crazy

shifters...

They dont have to go up and down

If that makes you frown.

go Left go right

if that makes your smile bright.

on the dash you can see the flash

on floor away from the door if you like that more.

shifters here, shifters there

with cable shifters, you can put them near anywhere.

cheers, william
Old 07-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #3331
Bus Geek

Who knew there was poetry in this venture!? Hmmmm...William? Might thy last name begin with Shake?

Cadillac...Roger the flipping. And drilling...and grinding and welding. As an old school Rodder you are no doubt familiar with the processes involved in "custom" work.

Measure...mark...cut...tack...grind...bend...test. ..remeasure...remark...recut...retack...regrind... rebend...retest...

Then...re-peat it all about 28 times.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #3332
Bus Geek

Howdy All and Happy 4th!!! --- We are once gain experiencing a deluge here in Houston. 4-5 inches of rain per hour has put quite a damper on most of the local festivities but I do plan on having at least one hot dog before the day is over. Street flooding everywhere but nothing remotely like Hurricane Harvey...just typical, tropical, Houston weather.

At least the rain kept the temps down a bit. Barely got into the 90's. Feels like winter. And that prompted me to get a little more work done this morning and take a couple of pix.

My shifter is functional! It is just temporarily mounted here as there is more to be done on the dash/firewall, but at least I know it will work with the new cable.

And down below.

NOTE TO SELF...remember to replace the twist tie with a proper cotter pin before driving.

ONWARD!

Old 07-04-2018, 04:48 PM   #3333
Bus Crazy

cut it off now..

take out the twisted wire now, disconnect cable... Kinda like puttin a bolt in place but not tighten it.... bad juju. tis how stuff gets missed.... with the transmission in, how close are you to being able to move under your own steam?

I finally have all the big parts in one place. bus, engine- still needs rebuild, transmission- fresh rebuild, f450 chassis, 3.73 diff, rear air suspension- brand new reyco granning. You are ahead of me.. I wonder who's gonna drive first? you or me? I wont be done, but first drive target is 30 days.

cheers, william
Old 07-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #3334

Hey Tango, just finished reading through your thread. It only took me a couple months! Fascinating build! If you ever need some muscle or an extra pair of hands, I stay in the Pasadena area and would love to see this ride in person! I hope you stayed dry this wet and rainy 4th!
Old 07-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #3335
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
"NOTE TO SELF...remember to replace the twist tie with a proper cotter pin before driving". -- Ah, I don't need a note, I'll remember it --this time!?!--Jack
Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 PM   #3336
Bus Geek

Hey Jack...your memory must be much better than mine. Which, BTW isn't saying a Hell of a lot.

Hey Bearded One...you are welcome anytime. Always happy to meet local Skoolies. Just PM me if you want to drop by.

Hey William...I doubt I'll be on the road ahead of you. Still so very much to get done on this "Two Year Project"...even after seven years!
Old 07-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #3337
Bus Geek

Is there anything more exciting than watching paint dry!?

Especially Hammerite. It take two weeks to fully cure.

Oh well...at least I have something working. The new doghouse and overhead console are getting closer to going in. But first I get new glass in. Meeting with my glass guy tomorrow. New windshield, drivers roll down window, a "wing vent" (remember those?), two quarter moons, back door and two more rear quarter moons. The front four windows (two each side) are being replaced with dual pane RV sliders.

Will need to do any needed rust remediation around all the frames while the glass is out as well as prep/fab for the new wipers that just arrived.

It just keeps getting funner all the time.

ONWARD!
Old 07-07-2018, 01:40 AM   #3338
Bus Crazy

aaaawwwwww maaaaannnn......

I am going to need one of the side "quarter windows" both front windshields, one of the glass door panels, and three of the standard side windows....and from the looks of it, none of your older glass matches mine......

rats... hoping to ride your coattails

william
Old 07-07-2018, 07:59 AM   #3339
Bus Geek

Most of it is either so chipped (windshield) or frosty (the rest) that you probably wouldn't want it William. Oddly, the one that concerns me most is the little wing window next to the drivers seat. Kind of a mystery how it goes in and out but hopefully the glass guy is old enough to have seen one before. And while I dearly love having a roll-down drivers window, unless we can come up with a better solution for keeping water out than what Wayne designed...I may replace it with a fixed unit. I will know soon on both.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:12 PM   #3340
Bus Crazy

riding coattails

I meant the patterns or such would be the same, and I could then order some new glass when you did.

Best I see right now is sanford, I think I am going to replace all of it with the laminated glass, not much insulation, but a little.

william
Closed Thread