Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #321
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Hey Tango, Your AC box sure fits good. Knowing you I know you have it all well designed but what are your plans for insulating that area of the roof and how does the condensation from the AC get drained off?

You mentioned on another thread the cross polination of ideas that takes place here on SKOOLIE. When I look at pics of your Wayne body and look at my Superior body I'd say that there must have been some mixed blood between the two companies as the bodies are so similar. Lets hope they stole only the good ideas from each other Jack

Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #322
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
You mentioned on another thread the cross polination of ideas that takes place here on SKOOLIE. When I look at pics of your Wayne body and look at my Superior body I'd say that there must have been some mixed blood between the two companies as the bodies are so similar. Lets hope they stole only the good ideas from each other Jack
With the Internet being so well entrenched these days one of us can have a brainstorm in the morning and it's being copied, and maybe improved upon (and maybe patented) by lunchtime somewhere across the globe. Now THAT"s colaboration.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #323
Bus Geek

What ever happened to the good old "olden days" of industrial espionage? It was all so simple when I still lived in the cave!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #324
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Hey Jack --- I'm adding a few layers of insulation to the box. For both sound and temps. Most likely some solid pink foam + some barium loaded vinyl. Only have a couple of inches to play with all around but will use them all. And the condensation will go out through a vinyl tube down to the ground...or whatever. I built in a little slope to the rear to aid in the removal of said liquids and prevent them from coming indoors. Hope to do some fitting on the A/C this weekend.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #325
Bus Geek

Spent four hours today just cutting the hole in my entry door for the little "curb viewer" window. Man...no templates so I had to scrounge through old art supplies and make some. It has 2-1/16th radius corners (?)...for which there ain't no drills or nothin'. Will get some pix tomorrow. Also ordered the big window for the door from Peninsula. It will be mitered corners all around so it should be much easier to deal with. Looks like I will have over a freakin' grand in this door by the time it's done. Did I mention that I envy anyone with right angles and straight sides on their buses?
Old 10-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #326
Bus Crazy

Tell me about the barium loaded vinyl stuff. I've never heard of it.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #327
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, Ouch, I've been thinking about that door off and on all day. I know it cost a bunch but it will be a real sweet looking door when you are done with it. You'll have well deserved braggn' rights and some how that makes it all seem to make sense in some perverted way I guess.

BTW how did the A/C seem to fit on its trial run--any pics? And yes, that MLV is a great sound deadener for the high energy low frequency end of the sound spectrum while foam seems to work better for the high frequencies. I blew off a half a day reading about sound the other week while I was in Yosemite recouperating . Jack
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #328
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- Truth be known, I really didn't have many other options on the door. The "Hippie Built" wooden affair it came with was falling apart and finding a Wayne original was determined to be a lost cause. But I do have a new found respect for Bosch tools. My electric nibbler is only rated to a max of about 18 gauge but it managed to chomp it's way through the 14 gauge the sheetmetal shop talked me into.

Roach --- There are a number of companies that make a wide variety of materials that incorporate a layer of barium loaded vinyl sandwiched into high density foam. Comes in different thicknesses as well and as Jack noted, effective cancels a wide range of frequncies. I used 1" on the inside of the doghouse on my 40' Bird years ago and it made a huge difference in the sound level coming out of the Detroit 6v53 "Screamer" that was in it. BTW...that's the same engine the Navy used in most of the Swift boats on the Mekong in Nam. The crews used to claim that the noise of the motor inflicted more pain on the Cong than the twin-fifties.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:03 PM   #329
Bus Geek

Tango, my replys are getting mixed up but I have to say that it just KILLS me that you can't find anyone to re-arch your spring!!! What is wrong with people? It's not like it takes expensive, hard to operate machinery to re-arch a spring and there were PLENTY of rolling pins available in "the day"--where did we go wrong? It wouldn't be hard to make a roller and it is almost tempting. I 'spose you could use a block to level things out, but thats just wrong. Bitch, bitch bitch.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #330
Bus Geek

Howdy Jack...don't feel bad, I get my days bass-akwards. Was thinking today was Saturday but I guess I missed one in there somewhere. What the heck...must not have been a memorable day. Have not slipped the A/C in place yet. Spent today and the day before the day before (Thursday?) finishing up all the welding, grinding down the mis-shaped puddles and cutting the hole for the curb-viewer in my door. That was over four hours by itself. The danged thing has screwball radii in the corners (2-1/16") and I don't have the right tools for that. Needed a die-grinder and bigger compressor to run it. Wound up chattering it out with a tungsten bit in my Milwaukee drill cleaning up the corners my nibbler had chewed out. Came out fine but took forever.

That little hole was a great big pain.

Turned out OK but took way too long. AT least the window fits.

And while "the Good Old Days" may never have been all that great, at least there were highly skilled people in this country who were incredibly good at a huge range of crafts. These days, if it ain't digital...or virtual...it's dead and gone. Most likely overseas.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #331
Bus Geek

Just dropped off a gi-nor-mous check for my transmission. A factory fresh, built-to-specs Allison 2200MH 6 speed, double OD tuned to my engine. Of course now I just have to figure out how to make it work. Hopefully my electrical engineer buddy can help with the harness as it is way beyond me. Also need to work out a water to oil cooling system for it somehow. Then there is the shifter...the throttle position sensor (TPS)...the filler/dipstick...throttle assembly...custom driveshaft...crossmember...cable system...pretty much all uncharted territory.

What the Heck was I thinking!?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #332
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Just dropped off a gi-nor-mous check for my transmission. A factory fresh, built-to-specs Allison 2200MH 6 speed, double OD tuned to my engine. Of course now I just have to figure out how to make it work. Hopefully my electrical engineer buddy can help with the harness as it is way beyond me. Also need to work out a water to oil cooling system for it somehow. Then there is the shifter...the throttle position sensor (TPS)...the filler/dipstick...throttle assembly...custom driveshaft...crossmember...cable system...pretty much all uncharted territory.

What the Heck was I thinking!?
One thing's for sure, you'll never have that feeling there's nothing to do.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #333
Bus Geek

Tango, Congrats on the new tranny! I know just how you feel. The what the Heck was I thinking thing happened to me when I began cutting up the perfectly good Isuzu cab and chassis for parts for my bus.

Yea, it'l take some figuring to get it all hooked up but it will also just be "too much fun" as you well know--that's why we do it Jack
Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #334
Bus Geek

You need a hidden video camera for the 1st time you go into an auto parts store after she's done......
Clerk says. "What kinda vehicle is it?"
Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 PM   #335
Bus Geek

Jack --- it's one of those situations where I'm not sure if "congratulations"...or "condolences" are in order, but thanks just the same.

Bansil --- I already get a lot of "...did you say 19-FORTY-6?". The new Cummins & Allison should just make it that much more interesting when I pull in to Filters-R-Us...right?

Err, skuze me, but I'm lookin' for an oil filter.
What make is your vehicle?
Chevrolet.
Year?
FORTY-6?
Yep.
Model?
School bus.
School bus?
Yep.
6 or an 8?
Four.
Four?
Yea, Turbocharged Cummins 4BTAA.
That sum kinda deezle er sumpin?
Yep.
We don't do deezles here.
But yer sign sez "Filters for any vehicle".
So...you DON'T have filters for any vehicle".
Right...so then your sign is wrong then?

...Security!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #336
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, we are a lot alike I think--I can never just let it slide either. After all ,THEY earned it as in "here's your sticker". Ha Ha.

BTW, when do we get to see the new trans? You know it doesn't exist if we don't have a pic! Jack
Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #337
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- Can't wait till I have something to take a pic of. The Allison factory only takes about three to four weeks to build an order, so it will be here fairly soon. On the hunt now for a wiring harness for it along with all the other little "extras" like shifter, fill tube/dipstick and such. The harness I've been told to look for is from an International with a 1000 or 2000 Gen 4 tranny. The Allison folks really like the way they put them together so that's where I'll start. Got one laying around by any chance?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #338
Bus Geek

Tango, there is a local big rig tow operation here who have done real well for all the right reasons. They build their own rigs and yet still have normal size heads. I'll stop by and talk to the owner and see if I can learn anything (wrong thinking, I will learn something--I always do). Shoot me any other info you think may be helpful and I'll take a stab. Jack
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #339
Bus Geek

Thanks Jack --- Much appreciated. The main item at this time is the harness for the trans. Hoping to find one from an International truck with a 1000 or 2000 series 4th Generation Allison. Has a lot more wires and plugs than I need but it's a whole lot easier to cut one back than build one up from scratch. Bound to be one on a wreck somewhere. Other makes with the same trans will work but the Allison rep said the Internationals were about the best on the block.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #340
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, I talked with the mechanic I spoke of and while he didn't have the wire loom, he says that the late model Duramax Diesels in Chevys use your tranny and would provide another wire source. He liked the idea of your transplant ans said "all he needs is a TPS and a VSS and he is good to go as far as the tranny processor goes."

Sorry I wasn't of more help--but I'll keep snooping. Jack
Closed Thread