Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #3401
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Also played a bit with a real fantasy concept. How about a substantial solar array that lays down flat on the deck...then folds up to become a roof over it? Would be a whole lot easier on a bigger rig, but I couldn't resist toying with the idea.

Don't want the ice in my beverage melting too fast in the sun.
Your Scotch on the rocks would become Scotch and soda too quickly?

I think it's more feasible than fantasy. 4-5 panels in a lightweight aluminum frame, with a 6 ft pole on each side that pivots on both the frame and the roof mount location, then you just pull it up ala your collapsible railing design, like you would a boat canopy. I'm sure a man of your abilities could also come up with a slick and quick locking mechanism.

The Busted Flush
Old 08-03-2018, 06:19 AM   #3402
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Little stuff usually does take the time, but makes the end product so much better.

Like the canopy idea for the solar panels. Have done it on a few boats.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:12 AM   #3403
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The boat canopy configuration is pretty much what I had in mind. But like I said....much easier to pull off on a larger rig. To get it seven feet in the air takes a minimum of 14 feet in length when down. My roof just ain't nearly that big so extension poles would be necessary and complicate things a fair amount. Maybe beyond what I want to invest in time & $ but I'd love to see someone run with it.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #3404
Bus Geek

Hey Guido...does this look like what we talked about?

On his last visit we discussed various ways to limit water intrusion around the roll down drivers window. One idea was to add a drip rail across the top of the body above the window. I jumped on it today.

Just a 3/4" wide strip of 14 gauge. Here it is tacked in place.

And after a little grinding and dressing.

And...with a few coats of self etching primer...

...it almost looks like it belongs there. Will hopefully direct some moisture out away from the lower seal (yet to be constructed).

ONWARD!
Old 08-04-2018, 11:29 PM   #3405
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the OEMs on cars with frameless windows used a rubber "wiper" that is felt on the side against the glass.. and it actually seals out 99.x % of the water.. you can srtill buy these.. the one im thinking of is for a G-body Monte carlo... it comes attached to a metal strip and could be cut to length.. I replaced them on my 86 monte carlo.. and of course id still want to rhino line the inside of the body where any water might go just to be sure.. that gutter lip might help with rain while you drive too...! it looks great

-Christopher
Old 08-04-2018, 11:37 PM   #3406
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Nice work Tango. That looks like it came that way. Blends in nice. Maybe add another piece along the bottom edge of the lip to divert water like a miniature gutter? A piece of 1/4" or 5/16" round stock would be easy to bend to fit the curve, easier to fab than trying to bend a U or L shape.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:46 AM   #3407
Bus Geek

Cadillac --- that sounds like exactly what I have been trying to find. No luck so far, at least not online. I have searched "wiper" and only get the windshield variety. Tried a range of other terms with no luck so far. Can you recall what GM (or anyone else) called that thing?

Guido --- I thought about a bead along the bottom, but figured the square edge would keep water running away from the glass just as well. As long as the drip line is out a ways it should help. Hoping to find the right wiper for the bottom now.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #3408
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: 1975 White Road Boss
Engine: Detroit 8V71/330hp.
Quote:
Cadillac --- that sounds like exactly what I have been trying to find. No luck so far, at least not online. I have searched "wiper" and only get the windshield variety. Tried a range of other terms with no luck so far. Can you recall what GM (or anyone else) called that thing?

Guido --- I thought about a bead along the bottom, but figured the square edge would keep water running away from the glass just as well. As long as the drip line is out a ways it should help. Hoping to find the right wiper for the bottom now.

Check for belt molding. https://www.google.com/search?q=belt...nt=firefox-b-1
Old 08-05-2018, 11:09 AM   #3409
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Commonly referred to as rub rails:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...RoCRHMQAvD_BwE
Old 08-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #3410
Bus Geek

Thanks All...I think I found a "universal" wiper fit that will hopefully work. Won't really know until I see it in person.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #3411
Bus Geek

Nothing photo worthy today --- Spent most of the last two days waiting on the glass guys and he was a total no show today after telling me he'd be there at 9am. Not too happy with them at the moment.

Spent the "wait" time cleaning up one sides' drip rails and part of the roof. Major PITA and wore out TWO 4-1/2" wire brushes. One a twisted wire! Cleaned out the rust and seams to prepare for some work on the roof deck

Must say that after railing the engineers at Wayne for so many stupid things they did...I must give them credit for the way the roof panels are installed. They are the equivalent of a standing seam roof. Every panel has a half round raised section over which another half round fits. No way water is getting into those seams. But...I will be applying seam sealer anyway.

ONWARD! (Well...maybe on Monday)
Old 08-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #3412
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
been eyeballing mine.....

Looks like I can take off layers from the sides below the windows. I am hoping to find no leaks in the roof panels when I take out the inside panels.... all those stinkin rivets...

william
Old 08-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #3413
Bus Geek

Got Glass? --- Yes...yes I do. Well, most of it anyway. Got the windshields (ya...two separate chinks of glass)...the rear door glass and four (count'em, four) quarter moon pieces installed today. They had to take two pieces back to the shop to cut and round corner. Should have them tomorrow.

What few wrinkles are there should flatten out in a few days. Otherwise, it nice to have these in. I can now start wrapping up the dash & doghouse. All the glass is "Low E" with a very light tint.

Three of the other five pieces in. I have the other two quarter moons but they are in steel frames and I'm gonna wait a bit to put them in.

Also...

Began positioning the diamond plate hatch I made for access to the LPG tank. Need to figure out how to install a couple of Dzus fasteners on this puppy.

ONWARD!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:16 PM   #3414
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Thats good progress Tango.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #3415
Bus Geek

Spent much of the day cleaning gutters --- The ones on my bus, that is. They are actually part of a structural element that is about 3/16" thick and run from the front all the way to the rear. I will be welding some roof rack brackets to them and needed to clean them up. Like everything else, they were encased in a quarter inch of crappy, peeling, latex house paint. I discovered that wire wheels work much better than sandpaper, flap disks or stripping pads as they all get gunked up quickly with that type of paint. I also discovered that wire wheels and skin are a bad mix, but that's another story. After two days of holding a 7" grinder out at arms' length...I am sore. Pumped up...but sore.

Still some touch up to do, but got this far on both sides. In the process discovered that some genius had filled some of the body gaps with Bondo. Genius because they had done the lower edge...but not the upper. Seems that went out of their way to capture and hold water there for some reason (?). After much ado, the Bondo is gone and I will rust treat the metal then apply seam sealer to both top & bottom.

Also got the rest of my glass today.

The wing vent...now with real, see through glass.
The roll up driver window is here but I am waiting to install it. Want to get some other stuff in place first.

ONWARD!
Old 08-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #3416
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
You sound like me with that wire wheel!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:37 PM   #3417
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Wire wheels are great but have to respect them, eat skin they will. Hope you are ok. Bus is looking good.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #3418
Bus Geek

Another day in paradise --- Still cleaning up metal and wearing out wire brushes. Seems most of the spent crinkly wires wound up stuck in my arms and clothes. Glad I used a face shield and gloves.

Also put in a little time trying to do some upgrading to my marker light bases. The lights work but the bases are a bit rusty. And since they are not pitted, I figure, "why not try out some of that newfangled chrome rattlecan paint?"

Before...

After. Hardy real chrome but definitely a step up. Six more to go.

ONWARD!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #3419
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
I have heard of incidents where stoutly mounted roof racks/decks have actually peeled the roof back due to encounters with immovable objects. Thought about securing through the roof ribs but decided against it for just that reason.

Also played a bit with a real fantasy concept. How about a substantial solar array that lays down flat on the deck...then folds up to become a roof over it? Would be a whole lot easier on a bigger rig, but I couldn't resist toying with the idea.

Don't want the ice in my beverage melting too fast in the sun.
If folding up is too hard I wonder if you could raise it with gas struts?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:27 PM   #3420
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. I found that a coat of automotive quality clear coat makes that "chrome" spray paint look like satin polished stainless steel. The anodized then chromed windshield surround on my T-Bird suffered the the plight of dissimilar metals and with a little bondo and the chrome paint it looked better than new. The clear keeps the silver from deteriorating. Jack
Closed Thread