Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #3641
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Still at it --- spent much of today just staring at various things and trying to figure out what to do next. Decided to get back on the roof rack after installing a bug screen onto my window drain and adding some sound deadening to the firewall.

My "new" welding cart. Had to get this sucker up high where the leads would reach the roof. No small task, but it is working so far. Made a point of matching the "Miller Blue" on the high mount. Have all the tack welds in place now and will soon be removing the whole thing so I can weld/paint the underside. How will that be accomplished?...absolutely no idea as yet.

ONWARD!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #3642
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Still at it --- spent much of today just staring at various things and trying to figure out what to do next. Decided to get back on the roof rack after installing a bug screen onto my window drain and adding some sound deadening to the firewall.

My "new" welding cart. Had to get this sucker up high where the leads would reach the roof. No small task, but it is working so far. Made a point of matching the "Miller Blue" on the high mount. Have all the tack welds in place now and will soon be removing the whole thing so I can weld/paint the underside. How will that be accomplished?...absolutely no idea as yet.

ONWARD!
Hopefully you won't get flooded this year, but your welding cart is ready if it happens. Always good work, great inspiration to me and others.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #3643
Bus Geek

LOL! --- Had not considered the high water benefits but you are correct!

Besides "Space City", Houston is also known as "The Bayou City". And they get out of hand on regular basis.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #3644
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Had another great visit with Guido yesterday. And finally got to see & hear his super little '65 IH Scout. He managed to stuff a 7.3 Powerstroke into that thing and has it driving all four wheels! Great vintage and updated nicely. Even found room for A/C. Just wish I had taken some pix. Duh.

Oh well, at least we managed to hit a couple of Rum bars before he had to go.

Come back anytime Guido!

My pleasure Mr. Tango.

Nice solution on the Tiny Tach mounting, and nice template for your gauge cluster mounting.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #3645
Skoolie

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 3208 turbo Cat
Rated Cap: 78
Hey tango, I noticed no gas tanks on your MiG, are you using Flux core wire to weld the roof rack? if you are what is your experience with Flux core wire welding. I'm new at welding and I got a Lincoln 210.

Tanks
J
Old 11-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #3646
Bus Geek

Howdy J --- the tank (75/25) is just hidden on the back of the cart. Never been a fan of flux core. Too smokey & spattery for me. Love my Millers but Lincoln & Hobart are also great units. And a 210 is about perfect for "bus work". Should cover anything from 1/4" to light sheet metal.
I have 2 Millers. One is a little 140 and the other a 210, dual voltage (110/220). Both are Miller-Matics. I tried an "automatic" setting machine years ago and it was a joke, but the newer units are pretty much dead on.

And I can't imagine building a bus without a welder! Have fun!

BTW...(for anyone interested)...I added up the weight of the steel framing and it is just 89 pounds at this point. There are three curved sections that will finish out corners front & rear which should come in at about another 19 pounds for a total of 108. The 1/2" marine ply deck will be about 167, so the whole thing will only add around 276 pounds. And on my rig...it won't even be all that high in the air (under 9'-6").
Old 11-08-2018, 09:18 PM   #3647
Bus Geek

Baby Steps --- Well, actually, roof deck steps. Still putzing around up on the roof ("If I vas a rich man...").

Working out the steps & ladder arrangement but think I have my landing figured out. Not welded yet, just held in place with magnets. Hoping to get some 1-1/4" tube bent to follow the curve of the roof as a ladder...if I can afford it. The corner bends won't be back for about a week so I need to stay busy with what I can. Also got a start on my windshield wipers. May have pix in a day or so.

ONWARD!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #3648
Bus Geek

A Step Forward --- Well...at least the frame for a step forward...or up...or...whatever.

Got the frame for my step landing pretty much together today. Need to make a big ass template for the ladder I hope to construct next.

Oh joy. Another trip to Home Depot!

ONWARD!
Old 11-09-2018, 07:52 PM   #3649
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
This ladder you want to make...can you use a pipe bender that electricians use? I would think so. Or find an electrician that can bend up what you want.
That's only for the ladder rails which can be mounted with appropriate size floor flanges top and bottom.
Or if you have an old apple tree try that for bending into the profile you want.
I think your progress is going good. Lots of stuff coming together now, best of luck.

John
Old 11-09-2018, 08:35 PM   #3650
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Horrible freight sells a tubing bender that uses rollers. It actually works pretty well. I have done 1 inch square tubing with it to make an arched roof for a railroad car. It may well work to match your roof curve.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #3651
Bus Geek

Thanks guys --- I will probably have a local shop I have worked with do the final bend. They are shaping some rectangular tube for me as we speak. I will start with some rebar which I bend routinely for my sculpture work, then transfer the rough shape onto some beaver board for a final lay up and finessing. Looking at 1-1/4" tube. Would love to do stainless but I'm not set up for welding that stuff so it will most likely be plain steel. Hoping to more or less match the curve of my rear roof.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 AM   #3652
Bus Crazy

Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
perhaps 1 1/4" aluminum rigid conduit would work fine. Easy to bend with proper bender and can be cut and threaded for standoffs from the body.
Just use 1 1/4" tees to connect the main frame of the ladder to the body or even aluminum unistrut to stand the ladder off the body. I know you will make it a work of art, would be a fun project.

John
Old 11-10-2018, 08:23 AM   #3653
Bus Crazy

Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I know you will make it a work of art

John
That's a given.

"Death, taxes, and Tango's artistry."

The Busted Flush
Old 11-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #3654
Bus Geek

Thanks guys, but...damn! --- Now I have to try and live up to your standards!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #3655
Bus Geek

Stairway to Heaven --- Actually, just a ladder to the roof.

Started off bending a piece of 3/8 rebar to the rough curve of the roof. Then transferred that arc to some Masonite. After a couple of adjustments I got it closer.

Once I had the roof curve pretty close, I ran a line 5-1/2" above that (the red line) as the template for bending some 1-1/4" schedule 40 steel pipe which will serve as the rails for the ladder. Obviously there is more to do, but that's it for today.

ONWARD!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #3656
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
That's a given.

"Death, taxes, and Tango's artistry."

Stairway to heaven-First glance: That ladder and railing look pretty bulky and heavy to me, doesn't follow the lines of the bus at all. Second glance: that's the work stand dummy

Tango- Happy Veteran's Day you crusty ol' sea dog
Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #3657
Bus Geek

Thanks Guido. And likewise to you and all the other Vets here.

Welcome Home to one and all!
Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #3658
Bus Geek

No Pix Today--- BUT...I did pick up some 1-1/4" steel tubing and drop it off at the Bender shop today. Hope to have them and my corner pieces for the roof rack back by the end of the week.

Also went to a local shop today that specializes in nothing but gauges. Been in biz since the 1940's. Seemed very sharp and will be ordering all my gauges from them in the next couple of days. Pulled my old fuel level sending unit and will be replacing it with a new sender and gauge as well. Since my tank came out of a boat (aluminum 44 gallon) there is no telling what I had, so I figured start from scratch and be done with it once and for all.

One more argument for keeping the sender access open and accessible.

Ya never know (Tu nunca sabe!)

ONWARD!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:05 PM   #3659
Bus Geek

More Gauge Stuff --- went back today and picked up a few things including a sending unit for the fuel tank. Had the guy test my old one and sure enough, it was dead. Went with an adjustable sender and VDO gauge along with a water temp & EGT (ouch!...they ain't cheap).

Quickly discovered that the sender did NOT come with any instructions or explanation as to how it all goes together (thanks guys). Back to the gauge shop. The guy there was great and had it cut and pieced together in no time at no charge.

Back to my shop.

Went to drop the new sender in and waazaa?...the opening in my (former boat) aluminum tank is a tad too small for the ping-pong style float to go in. Time to get creative. Carefully sanded the hollow plastic ball until it would drop in...only to discover the whole body of the unit is ALSO too big. Well crap. I am NOT grinding the aluminum out. That would mean dropping the tank (a big deal) and flushing the thing thoroughly (not gonna happen). That only leaves grinding metal & plastic off the sender and hoping it might still work (Will find out tomorrow). If not, then I will be on the hunt for something like the original and probably a different gauge.

How do you spell Grrrrrrrrrrrrr?

Anyhow, here is the original sender...

And here is the new sender (before mods).

Lastly, a couple of gauges at home in their new pods.

Still need a few more but this was all I could spring for today.

ONWARD!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #3660
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Egt gages are pricey for some reason and reallyvall they are is a thermocouple based thermometer that’s it.. K type thermocouple to a needle... I just bought one for my red bus since I’m power adding...

So your old fuel sender was defunct orcjustxwas a different resistance curve than your Gauge?
Christopher
Closed Thread