Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #3881
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I second this!

I sure would love to see some folks help this man out and get this thing done and running, driveable.
Sorry it can't be me unfortunately but if it was at all possible, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

John

Old 03-03-2019, 02:59 PM   #3882
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Just catching up for the clips welding thing?
If you use a spacer wire or whatever like a 3/32'nd welding rod with the fluxe beat off in between the angle and frame. Tack it up with the spacer and remove it for welding then that would leave you a gap to weld into and leave the welds flat on top.
No grinding to deal with. Actually stronger with a gap. Flat welding and grinding it down if you didn't melt the two pieces together and only welded and grindered down on a surface weld? Gotta melt the two together it ain't just about covering and grinding?
Weld is the same strength and metal is the same strength whether butted tight or not.
Hope you get to feeling better.
Got family in Texas that's not doing so well that I might have to go see very soon.
Gotta take 2-weeks for that but if there's anything I can help with during that time I am all in.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #3883
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Howdy All --- been a few days since I've been here. Was having a really rough time after the last round of chemo. Barely able to get out of bed. Hoping it is letting up a bit finally. No work done on the bus at all. Maybe this weekend or next week?

JR --- I ground back the edges of the angle I used so there is plenty of weld after they are ground level.

BJ, Dred, ECCB --- No tellin' when the lifting party might be, but you guys are always welcome. Still more tabs to weld on before it is ready to flip. I really HATE not being able to work every day!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:13 PM   #3884
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Howdy All --- been a few days since I've been here. Was having a really rough time after the last round of chemo. Barely able to get out of bed. Hoping it is letting up a bit finally. No work done on the bus at all. Maybe this weekend or next week?

JR --- I ground back the edges of the angle I used so there is plenty of weld after they are ground level.

BJ, Dred, ECCB --- No tellin' when the lifting party might be, but you guys are always welcome. Still more tabs to weld on before it is ready to flip. I really HATE not being able to work every day!
I think I speak for many here in wishing you a speedy recovery. Give yourself more time than you think you need and then get back into the game!
Old 03-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #3885
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:

I am only waiting for TWO things:
1. A time that is convenient for YOU
2. A time you are 100% ready to supervise me

I will bring:
-Relatively strong back (for my age)
-Enough welding skills and humility to accomplish most tasks
-Motivation to get this task done

Count me out after the end of June, as I know what Houston weather is like ( I do not want to die)

Waiting for my instructions........ Team Tango 1 out!
Old 03-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #3886
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
I will be in Kerrville, TX in April. If you need any help during that time, please let me know. I would love to help.

John
Old 03-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #3887
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Tango- You know I'm close by if you need a hand. Give me a shout.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #3888
Bus Geek

Many thanks to all for the very kind offers of assistance. But one of my biggest problems these days is planning anything. One day I'll be pretty OK...next morning I'm a wreck. Hard to tell what I'll be up for and when. However...next week I start yet another 3 day round of rat poison infusion and will almost certainly be down for a while afterwards...again.

Only have a little more welding to do on the roof rack but it is all on the underside so I need to flip the whole thing over. Hope to have a buddy lined up to help with that on Saturday. I think the two of us should be able to handle turning it over. Guess we'll see soon enough.

ONWARD!
Old 03-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #3889
Bus Geek

OK...got the rack flipped over and finished up the welding yesterday. Well most of it. I am still waiting on some brackets to be fabbed that the fold down railings will mount into. But since I start another round of chemo tomorrow, it will probably be two or more weeks before I can do anything.

Have I mentioned what a nuisance chemo can be?
Old 03-18-2019, 11:57 AM   #3890
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
OK...got the rack flipped over and finished up the welding yesterday. Well most of it. I am still waiting on some brackets to be fabbed that the fold down railings will mount into. But since I start another round of chemo tomorrow, it will probably be two or more weeks before I can do anything.

Have I mentioned what a nuisance chemo can be?
and I grumble about how my old body is reacting over things I still want to do - you're an inspiration - hang in there - a lot of people are pulling for you
Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #3891
Bus Geek

Thanks Sled --- I'm just doin' the best I can a day at a time.

Speaking of which...more of the "good new/bad news" game this week.

Went to the VA hospital on Tuesday to start my 4th round of rat poison...aka; chemo therapy. Was there at 7am only to be told they wanted to hold off due to "slightly elevated temperature & heart rate" which could indicate some kind of infection. Seems the chemo whacks your immune system so badly, something would ordinarily cause sniffles can kill you. Wound up spending three very unexpected days in the hospital while they shot more x-rays, scans and decided to poke a big needle between my ribs and drain some suspicious fluid from around the outside of one lung. Vaht fun!

Felt oh so much better when they drained it (the good news). The bad news? Could be a range of things from a minor infection (which the doc did NOT think it was just by looking at it)...or more cancer cells which would indicate the chemo was not doing shite (as they say in Scotland). Won't know anything till the middle of next week when all the tests are complete.

Meanwhile...the "Good News of the Moment" ?

I feel better today than I have felt in four months! Being a solid month removed from the last round of chemo makes a HUGE difference! I slept all night, my appetite is back, the vile chemical taste is much, much less and I have far more energy. In fact...

...I hope to work all weekend on the bus!

The plan is to get all the fold down railing mounts I designed installed. Will let you know how it goes.

ONWARD!
Old 03-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #3892
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:

I feel better today than I have felt in four months! Being a solid month removed from the last round of chemo makes a HUGE difference! I slept all night, my appetite is back, the vile chemical taste is much, much less and I have far more energy. In fact...

...I hope to work all weekend on the bus!

We REALLY need a 'Like' button on this site.

The Busted Flush
Old 03-24-2019, 09:00 PM   #3893
Bus Geek

Well Howdy! --- I actually did manage to get some work done two days in a row! Not a lot, mind you, but compared to accomplishments of late...a big deal. Due in no small part to the fact that I am a month removed from the last chemo which makes a gigantic difference. Will have to get back on it soon enough, but for now...I'm gonna make the most of feeling semi-human for a while.

Still working on the roof deck frame. Had to fab some brackets to accommodate a fold down railing design I came up with. Another one of those little chores that turned into a bigger deal than wished.

Note that the rack is UPSIDE DOWN at the moment. Fabbed 8 of these little guys. The idea is for the four vertical supports on each side that make up each railing to lay down flat against the deck when traveling, but be able to be drop down into these brackets and lock into place when each side is lifted.

Folded down they will look kinda like this. The spacing is to accommodate 1/2" marine ply decking as well as some rubber "anti-rattle" pads to keep things a little quieter on rough roads.

Once the rack is mounted upright, the vertical rail supports will fall down into the brackets and be self supporting. To store, just lift up and fold over. Hmmmm....sounds a lot easier now than it was to work out somehow.

Anyhow, no idea yet what the docs have lined up for the coming weeks but meanwhile, I plan on trying to keep a few things moving while I can...move, that is.

ONWARD!
Old 03-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #3894
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Glad to see you back working!!
I hope the progress continues (health and skoolie)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:08 AM   #3895
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Well Howdy! --- I actually did manage to get some work done two days in a row! Not a lot, mind you, but compared to accomplishments of late...a big deal. Due in no small part to the fact that I am a month removed from the last chemo which makes a gigantic difference. Will have to get back on it soon enough, but for now...I'm gonna make the most of feeling semi-human for a while.

Still working on the roof deck frame. Had to fab some brackets to accommodate a fold down railing design I came up with. Another one of those little chores that turned into a bigger deal than wished.

Note that the rack is UPSIDE DOWN at the moment. Fabbed 8 of these little guys. The idea is for the four vertical supports on each side that make up each railing to lay down flat against the deck when traveling, but be able to be drop down into these brackets and lock into place when each side is lifted.

Folded down they will look kinda like this. The spacing is to accommodate 1/2" marine ply decking as well as some rubber "anti-rattle" pads to keep things a little quieter on rough roads.

Once the rack is mounted upright, the vertical rail supports will fall down into the brackets and be self supporting. To store, just lift up and fold over. Hmmmm....sounds a lot easier now than it was to work out somehow.

Anyhow, no idea yet what the docs have lined up for the coming weeks but meanwhile, I plan on trying to keep a few things moving while I can...move, that is.

ONWARD!
Out of curiosity, what's the plan for the railings while underway? I'd imagine they'd bounce around like crazy without being secured down, somehow. Something like this could be an inexpensive but effective solution.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:08 AM   #3896
Bus Geek

The plan calls for a couple of brass wingnuts that pull each rail down snug against a rubber pad. I hate rattles too!

Been a truly weird week. Felt absolutely great for three days straight (chemo effects nearly all gone) ...then went back in the toilet for some reason. Back to total exhaustion and not wanting to eat. WTF?

Cancer sucks!
Old 03-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #3897
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Been offline for some time, so getting caught up.

Damn Sam, sure sorry your remission went into remittance! The C sux hind tit. Lost 2 dear relatives to it.

My Happy Thoughts are with ya!!!

I'm maybe 3 hours away in Aggyland, if'n you can use an extra hand.

With my sciatica, rotator cuff, beard dandruff, several subluxated vertebrae, and flatus, a hand is about all that still works for me...
Old 04-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #3898
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- Been a while and I have very little to show for it. In spite of having been off chemo for over a month, I have felt just as bad (if not worse) than ever (?). This really sucks. All I have managed to get done was to have the ladder powder coated...and get some rattle can paint on the bottom of the rack frame. Now I need to flip it back over and finish painting the other side. From there, it can be mounted onto the bus (after a fair amount of drilling and such).

Ladder turned out pretty OK with silver powder coating.

Probably looks pretty much like the last pix but the paint is different. I discovered that Rustoleum's generic "silver" is pretty awful paint. Does not harden at all and dries out with silver dust on the surface that wipes off with anything. Had to go back over it all with a scruff pad, wiped it down with a track rag, then applied a (hopefully) tougher silver paint. Used DupliColor "Wheel Paint". Appears to form a much better bond and surface.

We'll see.

Back to the VA hospital later this week to see what the latest plan is. Man...am I ever ready for something different. Hmmmm...for some reason that thought reminds me of the old line..."be careful what you wish for".

ONWARD-ish!
Old 04-09-2019, 06:24 PM   #3899
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. I'm a fan of Dupli-color bug bombs I Used their DE 1615 Aluminum Engine Enamel with ceramic (heat up to 500 degrees) all over my toad 9 years ago and it still looks perfect. It has a semi-gloss finish, can be waxed and never rubs off. I refinished the wheels on my Tahoe 4x4 and the finish looks exactly like the painted original. As an added incentive to it's use it smells really good while it dries (it dries in about 20 min at 70 degrees and can be forced dry much faster with a heat gun).
Jack
Old 04-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #3900
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You definitely have a skill for fabrication. Nice work
Closed Thread