Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #521
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
Now that is my kind of science--none of those pesky numbers and formulas to deal with. Just good old fashion testimonials thank you very much.
Speaking of testimonials, when my uncle got back from the korean war he was looking for some land down south and a guy at the bar said he had some land in florida he'd let him have cheap. Said it had some "low spots" but otherwise was a nice piece. So my uncle, being a trusting sort, bought it sight-unseen and some months later found out that the "low spots" were swampy and the rest was under several feet of water with alligators cruising by with evil in their eyes. Much chagrined, he held onto the land for a few years until some land broker called out of the blue and offered him several times what he'd paid for it. He jumped on the offer, of course, and later it turned out that the broker was quietly buying up a lot of land in an area that came to be known as "Disney World."

Anyone need a nice reverse cramulator?

Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #522
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

Howdy Troops --- Been away teaching some art classes and missed being able to check in here for the last month. While away I got the call that my grill was ready at the chrome shop. Picked it up and they did a fantastic job. Had a few minor vibration cracks here and there that they welded up and now I can't find where they were. When I was looking for a shop to handle the job, the only rec's I got were about shops to avoid, then I came across one in the Vintage Chevy Owners Club mag. Made a couple of calls to members and got nothing but A+ ratings. When I showed up I was surprised to learn that this little local shop out near the ship channel in Houston, TX does nearly all of Jay Leno's chroming! Turns out they do show quality work all over the world. Weren't the cheapest but they guarantee satisfaction no questions asked and will do it over until you are happy. I was happy...really happy. And mine had never had chrome. It was one of the painted steel versions that were used on skoolies but they turned it into a thing of beauty. Will definitely perk up the Art Deco front end. So if anyone is looking for great chrome work, I can honestly recommend these folks...Speed Sport Chrome. Will be a while before I reassemble it but will try and get a couple of pix before too long. Just hope I can remember how it all goes back together.

Onward!
Old 05-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #523
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Tango--you know the rule, pics or it never happened HA HA. Glad you're back and that chromy grill will really polish up that art deco look. Jack
Old 06-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #524
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- need to climb into the attic and grab a pic of the grill (someday). Meanwhile, here is the baby Manchester LP tank I'm installing. Only about a 24 pounder (5.5gal), but as you well know, there are limits as to what can be stuffed into a shorty. Just didn't like the idea of loose tanks sitting on the rear deck so I'll hang this underneath. Course, that now means hangers & an access door will be required. All the more fun, right?

Old 06-07-2013, 04:06 PM   #525
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Eldorado
Chassis: E350
Engine: Ford 7.5 liter Gas
Rated Cap: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Hey Jack --- need to climb into the attic and grab a pic of the grill (someday). Meanwhile, here is the baby Manchester LP tank I'm installing. Only about a 24 pounder (5.5gal), but as you well know, there are limits as to what can be stuffed into a shorty. Just didn't like the idea of loose tanks sitting on the rear deck so I'll hang this underneath. Course, that now means hangers & an access door will be required. All the more fun, right?

Tango, that's a great idea. I'm working on my undercarriage now and was wondering where I'd put my tanks, I'm gonna have to borrow that idea! A quick search,those tanks seem kinda pricy. Is there an advantage to spending the extra money or could you just make some sort of removable tank system?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #526
Bus Geek

Hey Firenzy --- The Manchesters are a bit pricey but one of very few that are DOT approved (US & Canada) and are very well built. There are a lot of opinions as to whether these or "disposables" are the way to go but as with everything else it's really up to the builder. I know folks that love and hate both so it is a personal call. Here are a few considerations...

Hard mounted versions (like this) can't be easily removed so the you have to take the bus to the refill source, where portable tanks can be pulled and swapped out.

Exposed, non-DOT portable tanks (you see a lot sitting on rear bumpers) are prohibited in some areas (most tunnels, some campgrounds & other areas).

Storing any LP (including "spare tanks") inside the occupied area is a really bad idea for obvious reasons (but many people do).

DOT tanks have lots more safety built in.

Personally, I don't plan on going through a lot of LP or I might have considered a series of portable tanks. How well this one fills my bill is yet to be seen but I do like the idea of not having loose tanks of explosives rattling around.

BTW...mine is actually a 30 pounder, not 24, but you can get them from 5 pounds up to over 400 in a wide range of sizes.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #527
Bus Geek

Tango, I don't know who copied whom, but I'm using the same Manchester tank as you. I actually ended up with two of them and will talk to the local LP guy about whether it is possible to combine them in tandem using only one charging port. Jack
Old 06-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #528
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- I like that idea! Let us know what you find out. I could handle a pair of them arranged side-by-side, just nothing any longer. "Shorties" can be a real pain to plan out and work on sometimes. I just hope the payback in easy parking is worth it.
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #529
Mini-Skoolie

Tango, thanks for the good info. I think you make a valid point with the DOT/safey issues. If I'm going to be driving around with my family in the bus, they should be safer and stronger tanks. Sold!
Old 06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #530
Bus Geek

BTW --- just saw one like mine on Ebay for nearly a hundred bucks less. Looks used, but they hold up really well. I've seen Manchesters taken off thirty year old motorcoaches and reinstalled with no issues whatsoever.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #531
Mini-Skoolie

Tango, I just looked for it on Ebay but had no luck. Could you post a link?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #532
Bus Geek

Hey Ferenzy --- here is the one I saw but there are a few others as well. I just searched "Manchester LP"...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manchester-A...item4d0a9e6ea5
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #533
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the Ebay link Tango, I checked it out and started doing some homework. After some research it appears that Manchester makes a whole line of DOT/ASME rated tanks. I found this one http://www.adventurerv.net/truck-camper ... -8391.html seems to be reasonable priced and is specifically made for RV situations. I was thinking on getting two and mounting side by side underneath the bus. Shipping is a killer but I guess you'll get that no matter where you buy them from, unless you can do a local pick up. What are your thoughts? Is there anything I'm missing or haven't thought about that might be a problem? Thanks for the input!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #534
Bus Geek

Don't know what your available space is like, but one larger tank would beat 2 smaller ones in most cases. On my shorty, I had to go the same route as Ol Trunt (Jack) simply because of the limited area left underneath. I know Jack is looking into whether he can marry 2 small tanks to fill and act like one but don't know where he is on that. You might give him a shout.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #535

Hi Tango - joined this thread late and I've been flicking through the posts watching (and enjoying) your progress. I've been contemplating a conversion of my own based on a truck chassis and I was delighted to find a bunch of fellow minded people, although mine will be a lot smaller than most of the bus conversions here, but at about 21 feet she'll be about the same size as yours. Seeing others bucking the trend and creating their own vehicles is inspiring. Appreciate you sharing your experiences.
I saw at the start of the thread that you were going to change the small block for a diesel, and I see that you went with the 4BT. I'm looking at a diesel swap (I currently have a 352 Ford V8 that returns abysmal gas mileage barely into double digits) and I'd looked at the Cummins - both the 4 and 6 cylinder motors. Beautiful engines and extremely reliable, but for anyone considering a swap the Isuzu four cylinder diesel is also worth checking out. It apparently has an overly complicated electronic transmission, but GM, Ford and Allison transmissions fit with a conversion kit and it's supposedly an almost bulletproof motor that returns great MPG. Lots of them languishing in Isuzu and GM badged box vans and normally aspirated and turbocharged versions are available depending on your needs. Hope you don't mind me dropping this into your thread - I know it's a bit late for your project, but thought I'd throw that out there for someone else thinking of going diesel.
BTW, I absolutely love the look of your bus - classic lines and probably nothing else like it on the road. Can't beat that
Old 08-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #536
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Jacksdad - I heard Tango has skipped the country for a spell. Something about drugs or unpaid taxes or something . He'll be back in a few weeks once the lawyers do their thing.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #537
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.

jacksdad, you also might want to check out ol truent. at

http://www.nomadicista.org/viewtopic...602e0b162bc4dc

He put an Isuzu engine and tranny in his '35 skoolie.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #538
Bus Geek

Hey Tango! Say OR A VAR or what ever the Frenchies say and get your arse back here and work on your bus! All is forgiven and we're not jealous of you any more (much). Jack
Old 09-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #539
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- just got back from 33 days in France and Spain. Very productive and exhausting trip. And of course, nothing done on the bus. I did however, manage to pick up my little Manchester LP tank today while playing catch up. At least it is now purged and ready to mount. Bad news is that the "catch up" includes having to immediately start building out another 5000sf of space at the studios here so there's another several months that she will have to sit and wait. Dang! I just hope she doesn't run out of patience with me being away so much.

At least I can live vicariously through Jack's build. He is way ahead of me both in terms of progress...and skills.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #540
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. Welcome back. Glad your trip was productive and went well.

I looked into the dual propane tank issue and the crimp in the deal seems to be comming up with a way to fill and "burp" both tanks at the same time while not exceeding the 80-85% fill thereby not over filling either tank. You can combine the tanks with a manifold leading to a single fill/burp valve but each tank would require an auto shut off valve (over $100 each) or do a remote fill manifold for the second tank which would require a single auto shut off valve. Beyond that it looks like you are limited only by how you deliver the fuel to the appliances. Jack
Closed Thread