Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #561
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Re: '46 Chevy Shorty

Hey Jack --- I printed your schedule off and pinned it to my wall. And if it weren't for havin' to run this danged art studio thing and work on the commissions that buy more parts to rust, I'd catch up with you in no time. Till then, I guess I'll just haft'a work it in when I can and dream about PB&J.

Onward?

Old 10-25-2013, 05:29 PM   #562
Bus Geek

FINALLY! --- I picked up a spare frame months ago mostly for the wheels and a few other parts. Only problem was...getting the damned wheels off! They have a center pilot hole and the rears include a plate that had become rust welded to the axle. I soaked with penetrant, beat with a sledge, yanked with a chain and they still wouldn't budge. I actually started to wonder if maybe there was some other mechanism holding them tight but the folks on the old Chevy forum said no. Well, today I broke down and rented an 11 ton hydraulic port-a-power with a small (4") head. Combined with more penetrant, an oxy/acetylene torch, a 2 pound sledge, a 10 pound sledge, lots of wood spacers, half a dozen chisels and a really big steel wedge...I managed to remove the two outer duallies in only about 5 hours!

Something tells me I gotta' arrange things on the new unit a little better or my pit times at the track are really gonna suck.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #563
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Oh well, look at it this way. Though you'll still be at the track long after the end of the race, but just think how "Jonny on the spot" you'll be for the next race

I had a similar problem with the rear drums on my TOAD. Once I got them off I filed away the rust in the center hole just a bit and coated the edges with a light coating of high temp grease--did the trick. Jack
Old 10-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #564
Bus Geek

Roger the clean up Jack --- I'm thinking about taking the rims apart and getting them bead blasted, then I'll treat and paint before any tires go on. Heard bad things about powder coating rims (lots of chipping). Anyone else have any thoughts on refinishing old rims?
Old 10-28-2013, 08:08 AM   #565
Bus Geek

show car= powder coat
Driver= paint them with something you can touch every year or so (if needed) with a touch up spray gun
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #566
Bus Geek

Hey Basil...my thinking exactly...except I might go with a spray can.

Just got a great suggestion from one of the guys on the old Chevy forum to pass along...use some anti-seize when you remount the refinished rims. Sounds like an excellent suggestion for anyone who has these old center piloted rims.

Elegant solution or what?
Old 11-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #567
Bus Geek

Still waaaay behind --- Finally getting a little work done here and there. The engine bay is clear and I hope to have the extra hands needed to maneuver the engine/tranny into position for a test fit. The starter may be an issue as it hangs way out to the side but I have found another that mounts closer in if needed. Might even get the test fit done today (if the guys show up). Swinging the 1500 pound package around "delicately" is a little tricky by yourself.

Also started work on some of the replacement body panels. I'm welding the new steel directly to the ribs. The old metal fit in between paired ribs and would require taking the entire bus body apart to repair any one of them, so no advantage going that route. It'll be easier just to cut out a section if any future body work needs to be done.

Gonna' be a tight fit. I may set the engine back a foot or so to make more room for all the cooling gear...radiator, charge-air-cooler, transmission cooler & A/C condenser.

Body panel cut for blackwater drain hatch.

The drain hatch. Will mount the door with an SS piano hinge and secure with a couple of Dzus fasteners.

Onward!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #568
Bus Geek

Oh Boy! Progress! Looking at the cowl on your bus I'd say that Chevy got their money's worth out of that design. It looks exactly like the one on my '35 right down to the vent drain in the center. I spoted the master cylinder on the cowl--was that an upgrade at some point or did Chevy go back to the below floor MC later on? You certaintly got a nice straight cut on the S#*@ hatch door. How did you cut it and how are you framing it out?

I have a bunch more questions but I don't want to take you away from your work so I won't ask. Jack
Old 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #569
Bus Geek

good to see progress
Old 11-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #570
Bus Geek

Howdy Jack --- Really not sure about the MC as this unit had been semi-converted when I found it. Came with a 350 Chevy and the MC may well have been part of an "upgrade" but it does not look that way. It is a single pot master with a Hydroboost system under the floor. I'm replacing all of that with a dual pot power brake master and (hopefully) front disk brakes.

As for the cuts, I just use a thin cutoff wheel on my 4-1/2" grinder then finish the corners with a body saw. I'd use the saw more but I don't have a compressor that'll keep it spinning for more than about 5 seconds at a time before running out of air. Did learn that if you carefully score the length of the cut line with the disk then keep making more passes, it works much better than trying to make a single pass cut all the way through the metal. That said, when I cut away the old sheet metal below the windows, I did it in a single pass but used a 7-1/4 circular saw with a metal cutting blade set to only penetrate the sheet metal. To make it easy on myself, I tack welded a length of angle iron all the way down each side as a guide for the saw and it was a piece of cake. Came out very straight.

I have welded some 1/8th x 1-1/2 to the inside leaving a 1/2" lip to close the door against and will likely add some around three sides of the door on the outside for rigidity and overlap the opening a bit for appearance. Not concerned about sealing anything as it is just a pass through in the body to access the drain valve, not a closed compartment behind.

Having fits finding an in town supplier for Dzus'es. Called a bunch of "specialty" & industrial fastener shops and they had no idea what a Dzus was (?). Easy to get online but I'm touchy/feely about things like that and like to handle & look stuff over before I buy.

Did (finally!) manage to get a couple of friends to help with the very first test fit of the motor & tranny yesterday! At just over a thousand pounds it takes a minimum of three people to maneuver the whole package. One on each side of the A-frame and one guiding at center. Quickly became evident I need to make some "adjustments". The oil filter has to go but I already suspected that and have some of the parts to fit a remote system. Will probably swap out the starter for one that has better frame clearance as well but that is a "wait-and-see" until I can try one more fitting. On this first try, I did mark the firewall and cut it out last night so we can place the whole unit much farther back than what we had yesterday. The front of the Cummins engine will probably wind up more than a foot farther back than what the 350 Chevy was. And as you have probably noticed...these old frames taper down in front which means I'll gain a little width as I move towards the rear.

Hope to try another "fitting" this weekend, but getting the necessary team in place is the tricky part. May be able to do it all myself with a come-a-long or some such, but it was such a piece-of-cake with 6 hands that I hope I can lure them back soon. Maybe beer?

More pix soon.

Onward!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #571
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Champion
Chassis: Ford e-450
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 14

Look around for a race car shop-drag or circle. we go thru them like crazy. (I got like 40 on my car.)
Or you can order them from www.speedwaymotors.com

my bus build https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/Skoolies/Sped
Old 11-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #572
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. Like me I'm sure you hated to have to cut the firewall but besides giving you more frame width moving the engine and tranny back will transfer some of their weight to the rear axle. It should also make for easier steering at low speeds. Over the years I've learned that having some pretty women around the shop works even better than beer when it comes to getting guys to help out. Jack
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM   #573
Bus Geek

Thanks sdwarf...I will check those guys out.

Jack...did I mention that I've hired the Swedish Bikini Team to serve Old Milwaukee and help around the shop?

Onward!
Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #574
Bus Geek

I'll be right over!!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #575
Bus Geek

Excellent Jack! I told the "Team" and the girls are all excited to meet you.

And as long as yer gonna' be here you can lend a quick hand positioning the "package"...measuring and welding the driveshaft...fabbing a new firewall & doghouse...making some motor mounts...welding up the rear deck...finishing the wider rear bumper...figgerin' out the shifter...installing the steering system (mounting gear box + steering column + making new tie rods + ???)...mounting new skin...installing window "deletes"...hooking up the engine...

And just in case yer not an "Old Milwaukee" guy...I'll gladly spring for a six-pack of your brand. Just hurry before the girls have to go back to Sweden for Vinterfest.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #576
Bus Geek

Wow! But I'm afraid that by the time I get done "helping" you I'll be too tired to be much fun for the "team". But then the lines from that country song keep playing in my head " I may not be as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was". But wait, I'm blue eyed, fair and blond (was) and they will be looking for someone tall, dark and handsome--maybe I'll just sit this one out. Jack
Old 11-09-2013, 05:03 AM   #577
Bus Geek

Chicken....I double dog dare you
Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #578
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
Jack...did I mention that I've hired the Swedish Bikini Team to serve Old Milwaukee and help around the shop?

Onward!
It's time to gas up the bus and head for the great state of Texas!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:42 AM   #579
Bus Geek

Just a quick reminder...Monday is Veteran's Day. Take a moment to thank a Vet. They are the ONLY reason any of us have the freedom to pursue our lives the way we want.

Any Vet I meet for the first time, from any branch, war or campaign...I say "Welcome Home" to.

It was just about twenty years before I heard those words from anyone and I can't begin to say what a profound effect they had and the feelings they brought rushing back.

They remember. Let's remember them.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #580
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. how's the "Cummins stuff" going? New ideas, install pics? Bet ya are in Sweeden with the team--some guys have all the luck Jack
Closed Thread