Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:28 AM   #1121
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Totally Mostly Off Topic...

But...since I am STILL on hold for parts from the sheetmetal shop, I managed to get a little side project closer to completion.

Meet Houston's REHAB Bar BBQ Baja Bug...

Hey...at least this way I can keep my jury rigging...er...fabricating skills warmed up! And who knows...maybe it will inspire someone here to make some similar mods to their bus.

That's freakin awesome! Showed my wife these pics and she lost it laughing! Been a VW nut for over thirty years......a mid 70's super beetle smoker, brilliant. Wife's got a 50' wide garden in the back yard cut out in the shape of a beetle....I've got 800 plus die cast beetle cars in my basement.

Old 08-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #1122
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3710.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	508.0 KB
ID:	8170

Wayyyy off topic, wedding ring.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #1123
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I don't know if I should say congratulations or sorry to hear that. My wife and I celebrate 36 yrs on Aug 12.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:36 PM   #1124
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Been playing catch up on some of the "little stuff" since I am still waiting on some major metal. My contact at the sheetmetal shop's Dad died suddenly so I am understandably not expecting a lot of movement on the big pieces I need and not going to press the issue right now. Bad story there.

Anyhow, I did manage to get a few things done this past week. I am going around the bus with seam sealer and closing up any & all gaps inside & put. Began the process of working out the details on the new driveshaft I have to build. Also started locating the big (heavy) Isuzu NPR steering gear box. It promises to be...interesting. And in keeping with the rules here...pix follow.

Oh yeah...and I did find the gas pedal I want to try and use.

[/url]
Seam sealer around the window deletes (and many other places). The OEM variety is pretty awesome stuff.

All around each inside body panel too.

Fitting this steering gear is going to be tricky. The original was inside the frame and much further forward. Mongo here goes on the outside and will require a couple of u-joints and a lot of chopping on the drag link to make work.

And, last but not least...(drum roll please)...

Any drummers in the group will recognize this...a vintage "Speed King" bass pedal. I just couldn't resist trying to figure a way to hook this puppy up to my throttle.

Lots more detail stuff done that's not worthy of pix so I am still plugging away. But I REALLY do need a couple of the big items to show up soon. Until they get here, I can't really screw up anything else important.

Till then...

ONWARD!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #1125
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango. That's the same steering gear I have. Are you going to use the Isuzu column? If you do, you can reduce the number of U joints you need by reversing the column--it also provides more foot room because the angle changes. Pics if you want 'em. Jack
Old 08-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #1126
Bus Geek

Ya Jack...would love to see some close ups of your rigging. I only have a tiny space for feet, pedals & column so I am looking for ways to save fractions of an inch. It looks (at this time) like keeping the original arrangement will work but then, what do I know

Thanks bud!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #1127
Bus Nut

Little help here. What is in the following pic where the usual windows would be? I don't know how to describe it in the pic except it looks like some kind of foil backed insulation.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #1128
Bus Nut

By the way, your plan is a fantastic idea for a gas petal! It should look great!
I was considering the old barefoot petal for mine but that will happen later.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:33 AM   #1129
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyBus View Post
Little help here. What is in the following pic where the usual windows would be? I don't know how to describe it in the pic except it looks like some kind of foil backed insulation.
Looks like the interior side of the blanked out windows.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #1130
Bus Geek

Howdy guys --- the foil you are seeing in that one pic is "Reflectix" insulation but those aren't window areas. That is the side of my bus below the windows with the outer skin off so you are looking at the inside of the inner wall.

The ancient & oddball construction of this old gal called for new outer skin which I will be welding on instead of screwing down, but it will likely be among the last of the chores to be done. It is much easier working on & under it with the side panels off. Since the outer skin will go on last, it dictated a very different approach to construction & insulation.

There are three layers of 1/2" conventional foam board where the actual window deletes are.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 PM   #1131
Bus Geek

Steering box/steering column

Hey Tango, here are a few pics of the steering gear and column:

I made up 3 plates. I sandwiched the 1/4" plates on the web of the frame and spaced the 1/2" plate with 1/4" wall hydraulic pipe and 1/2" grade 8 bolts. I drilled and tapped the 1/2" plate to match the gear which allowed me to lower the gear below the height of the frame.

I boxed the flanges of the frame with 1/4" plate with the inner plate secured with 1/4x20 bolts screwed into taped holes so I'd be able to remove the plate should it become necessary.

By reversing the steering column channel I was able to get a direct shot at the steering box and only needed a U joint at either end. This also made for more toe room which was a problem on my bus as well. You have to nibble here and there a bit but it is easy to figure out as you go.

EDIT: Spacing the 1/2" plate was done to clear the spring hanger and to give a more linear push pull on the pitman arm. It looks to me like spacing might be necessary on yours as well. Happily, I have not detected any lateral movement of the drop bracket or flexing of the boxed frame. Jack
Old 08-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #1132
Bus Geek

Many thanks Jack! --- That is one serious mounting plate system. Mine will have to snug up solidly against the frame in order to clear fenders and such but will likely wind up close to where yours is located. Still not sure what you flipped on the steering column to get extra toe space though.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #1133
Bus Geek

Hyt Tango, stand your Isuzu steering column as if it were installed in the NPR and then compare what you see in the pic. It will make sense then. Jack
Old 08-19-2015, 06:14 PM   #1134
Bus Geek

Thanks again Jack. But it looks now like I'll be cutting away most of the stock bracket.

Meanwhile...I can never figure out Cummins parts pricing. There are a lot of critical, complex parts that are very reasonably priced. Then there are the "others".

Had to replace the three inch long throttle lever as my original was broken off. Granted, it is probably way more complicated than it needs to be and I probably could have fabbed something for .89 cents in scrap...but...I wanted it to be right so I ordered one and didn't bother to ask..."how much".

Well, now I know. $119.51. Plus tax. And I thought the world had already used up all the Unobtanium.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #1135
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Would this work? Cummins Injection Pump Throttle Lever Part 3048296 | eBay
Old 08-19-2015, 10:10 PM   #1136
Bus Geek

The throttle & injection pump appear slightly different, but I sure like the Ebay price better.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:56 AM   #1137
Bus Geek

Tango, looking good, any progress is better than letting her sit all summer like I have...I will be complaining about cold weather and working on bus shortly
Old 08-20-2015, 12:02 PM   #1138
Bus Geek

Don't envy you the cold weather Bansil. My old bones can handle 110+ all day long. But come anything below about 50 and everything wants to lock up. Still waiting on three major pieces of metalwork before I can get anything of consequence accomplished, so "piddling" is what I've been limited to for the last 2+ months.

Except for the fact that it is Kalifornia...I would suggest we all go work at Jack's (Ol' Trunt) house where the weather is a bit more pleasant most of the time.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #1139
Bus Geek

You reckon we can have him move back into our country

We can then have wrenching parties and BBQ and pool parties (Jack you need to build us a pool at the shop )
Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 PM   #1140
Bus Geek

I'm way ahead of you bansil---all we have to do is back the bus out and fill the pool. Its only 8" deep so no diving! Jack

[/URL][/IMG]
Closed Thread