Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #1941
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Hey Tango. That is a handsome rig you're building. Fun to see it coming together--love the pics.

I've run across several car show types over the last year who say if they had it to do over again they wouldn't have had their complete cars soda blasted. They say the soda sticks in the seams and then blisters out when it gets moist. I've had no personal experience but wanted to give you a heads up just in case there is something to it.

Have a happy holiday! Jack
Ya, around here nobody will soda blast anymore. They all do dustless blasting now which is ground glass and water. Or the old school sand blasting.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #1942
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah, I have heard similar stories about using soda. Seems you have to follow up with high pressure water blasting or any traces of soda really screw up the paint. I don't know about other areas, but due to all the EPA reqs, there are very few sandblasting services around here anymore. The only ones I have found here are strictly industrial (mostly oilfield stuff) and won't go near auto bodies. Just as well since the pressures and media they use would eat right through most body parts.

I used "Airplane Stripper" on the side panels I just worked on and may wind up doing the whole bus that way. Just need to get better rubber gloves.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #1943
Bus Geek

Happy Holidays!

Hope everyone has a safe and joyous Christmas and the very best of New Years!
Old 12-24-2016, 09:11 AM   #1944
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Same to ya Tango. Be safe this Holiday and we'll speak after Christmas.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:34 PM   #1945
Bus Geek

Gotta LOVE the Holidays --- It's a great time to get some work done. Spent most of today measuring, drafting, re-measuring, erasing and hopefully finalizing plans for some of the interior woodwork.

I finally confirmed that I can position my pilot's seat in such a way that I can rotate it to serve as my "Lazy Boy" when docked. The Toyota seat has its' front/rear slide and I added a side-to-side slide from a boat that also rotates 360.

I had to have the dash/steering (all built from scratch) in place along with my kitchenette plan pretty much finalized before I could be sure it would all work together. IT DOES! Merry Christmas to me!

And though they are nothing particularly interesting to look at...

...the drafting is just about done. Which means I can actually begin building some of this stuff fairly soon.

ONWARD!
Old 12-24-2016, 06:04 PM   #1946
Bus Nut

I'm looking forward to seeing the work. All I've gotten done this week, got the mini fridge installed.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #1947
Bus Geek

Congrats on the progress. Funny you should mention the mini-fridge. I am sitting here working on how to build a slide out system for the dual zone, chest type fridge/freezer I want for my kitchenette. Hard to find actual slide extension specs for some reason. Emailed the makers but, unlike myself... for some reason they aren't working all weekend.

Having the same problem with the sink. Home Depot's online specs make absolutely no sense at all. They indicate the same size "cutout" as the "overall dimensions" for a drop in SS sink. I don't think so. That would make it a "drop through". And while I'm no plumber, I suspect somethings not right with their numbers.

So much for the 24 hour, unlimited data access promise of the internet. Well wait...I gotta re-phrase that. There is plenty of data. Just very little that is correct.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #1948
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Merry Christmas to you as well Tango and all the other Skoolie members.

Great looking pilot seat.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:55 PM   #1949
Bus Geek

Howdy All --- Spent the better part of today making Barbie furniture. After doing a lot of head scratching about how to assemble the sofa/sleeper I want, I decided to make a model to see if that would help. It did. A little balsa wood and foam rubber and super glue and...viola! A tiny sofa/sleeper...of sorts.

The sketch was easy..but, not being a woodworker, drafting a real plan was befuddling me. I really want some serious Art Deco lines, but it also has to work. So...

...after a little chopping and gluing, I got to here. A fold out sofa sleeper (doll sized at this point). Here it is in the sofa position...then...

...partially extended...and...

...fully extended. It will only be 6 foot by 32" but hey...I don't take up much space. I just hope my woodworker buddy can figure out the details. Such as the 4" wide, rounded "Streamlined" arms seen in the sketch.

ONWARD!
Old 12-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #1950
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Very nice. Thats how you do a model! It actually even looks like a mini-futon
Old 12-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #1951
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Looking good Tango. Those arms will give it a great art deco look.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:11 AM   #1952
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
make the arms out of thin plywood layers glued together.
And bent to desired shape.
A nice clear stain will make the layers on the edges standout and be noticed.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:43 AM   #1953
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Howdy All --- Spent the better part of today making Barbie furniture. After doing a lot of head scratching about how to assemble the sofa/sleeper I want, I decided to make a model to see if that would help. It did. A little balsa wood and foam rubber and super glue and...viola! A tiny sofa/sleeper...of sorts.

The sketch was easy..but, not being a woodworker, drafting a real plan was befuddling me. I really want some serious Art Deco lines, but it also has to work. So...

...after a little chopping and gluing, I got to here. A fold out sofa sleeper (doll sized at this point). Here it is in the sofa position...then...

...partially extended...and...

...fully extended. It will only be 6 foot by 32" but hey...I don't take up much space. I just hope my woodworker buddy can figure out the details. Such as the 4" wide, rounded "Streamlined" arms seen in the sketch.

ONWARD!
I'm sure your woodworking buddy will suggest to you making the arms out of a good hardwood like oak, if you want to stain it or poplar if you are going to paint it. It is probably going to have to be done in pieces and shaped on a good stationary sander. I'm pretty sure my brother could do it, but he is in Georgia but I will check. I totally understand the model though, it's usually the only way I can get a visual. That's after I use a half a ream of paper. Great job Tango.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #1954
Bus Geek

Thanks All --- I used to have a pair of Art Deco Club Chairs I loved that had pretty much the same profile so I figured why not try that here. I'm planning on keeping the woodwork light colored (maple?) with maybe some dark accents (walnut?). And to further complicate things...I'd really like to have a hidden slide out drawer inside that arm. Would make a great place for maps and magazines and an Uzi.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:36 AM   #1955
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Tango, your modeling skills certainly out shine what I call my "mock-ups"! I went with a multi pieced mattress but soon learned that the pieces slipped around and let me drop through the cracks. I had material sewn along what became a hinge on the top surface of the mattress. Did that make sense?

32" wide--I guess it'll be alright--you'll just have to sleep spoon fashion with those Swedish Bikini team members you are always entertaining.
Jack
Old 12-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #1956
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- I've seen both your working models and the finished parts. They both work. And that's what matters. Like you, I am looking at a top seam that acts as a hinge for the seat/mattress. Mine will rely on a couple of brackets when in the up position and the base will consist of alternating parallel, sliding bars that support it when down. Should be enough to hold up my skinny little butt. But then...it has yet to be tested.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #1957
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Hey Tango, Do you have a sketch up of the alternating parallel, sliding bars that support the bed when it when down? I think I know what you mean--just not sure.
Jack
Old 12-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #1958
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- I'll try to remember to get a pic today. They are just two sets of slats that interlock so that the top section can slide out. The model only has a few but the real deal would have them all along the length of the sofa/bed.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #1959
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
love the slider futon idea.. save space when you wantto be upand about and have spaceto sleep.

(sorry the spacebar onmy brandnew macbook pro is almost dead..24 hrs ivehad this thing..)..
-Christopher
Old 12-28-2016, 09:33 AM   #1960
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
[QUOTE=ol trunt;177508]Tango, your modeling skills certainly out shine what I call my "mock-ups"! I went with a multi pieced mattress but soon learned that the pieces slipped around and let me drop through the cracks. I had material sewn along what became a hinge on the top surface of the mattress. Did that make sense?

Had the same issue with the mattress separating on my couch, used two strips of Velcro[hook n loop] the whole length of cushions to hold them together. If you're making the cover[s] removable to wash, Velcro doesn't like the dryer.
Closed Thread