Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #1741
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
PS...this will be under a big cottonwood tree and overlooking the washer pitching court.
The washer pitching court? What do you do there? Pitch washers, I assume. But what kind? Lock washers? Dishwashers? Something somewhere between bocce ball and frozen turkey bowling, likely.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 AM   #1742
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks Redd...but after this one, I may well be retiring from actually doing this kind of work. I have a couple of foot long abdominal hernias from some major surgery about six years ago that just keep getting worse. Makes lugging hundred pound sacks of cement and sand pretty uncomfortable. Still love the work and strong enough, but my gut may literally bust at any moment if I keep pushing it too hard (which probably has something to do with why it has gotten worse).

Dan-Fox...What? You have never pitched washers!? Where have you guys been? We have a couple of tournaments each year and the winning team can take home a few hundred bucks. But we all have a good time. and yes...there is usually alcohol involved. The rules and specs vary a bit from here to there but you can get an idea about it here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washer_pitching

Back to work.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #1743
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
China?! You won't get them until Aug 2. How are we supposed to entertain ourselves without your pics? I'll bet you could use your phone camera----just saying---- Jack
Old 06-10-2016, 10:50 PM   #1744
Bus Geek

What's a "phone camera"? My old flip phone just barely makes calls.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #1745
Bus Geek

Well... --- I got a small taste of what the woodworking portion of this project is gonna' be like today. A RPITA! No straight lines, nothing is square, the walls are curved outward and getting a decent fit means going on & off two dozen times and trimming 1/32" here and there.

Had to go ahead and get the wood base on this one section as it will be an even greater bear later on. It will be behind the water tanks which I am anxious to get placed and welded down.

These sections of the rear steel panels will get a layer of 5mm underlayment, then some vinyl flooring material. Only the wood is cut to fit here. I will put a couple of coats of old fashioned shellac on both sides then screw and glue it. With any luck I will pick up the maple-look flooring manana.

ONWARD!
Old 06-11-2016, 04:13 AM   #1746
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Interior work!!!!! WoHOO!!!!!!!! or ..... Only time will tell now!

Congrats (I think......)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #1747
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. I knew you were just holding out on us! I also buy shellac by the gallon to use as a waterproofer. I believe I used the same sub flooring material on my bus. Its a good thing you sealed both sides and the edges because the glue used to make the plywood isn't waterproof I discovered.

Anyway, lookin' good--you're on a roll now! Jack
Old 06-12-2016, 10:53 PM   #1748
Bus Geek

Getting REALLY tired of the Biblical floods here! --- Managed to get the wood underlayment adhered to the wall yesterday but no pix, Looks just like the other shot but with a bunch of screws holding the panel in place till the glue fully sets.

Today I played with designing an area on the left rear that will be next to my Genny and house most of the associated electronics. Just a hump made out of metal but thanks (once again) to the ship like curves, promises to once again be a PITA to pull off properly. You folks with straight sided, flat, square buses have no idea just how easy you have it!

And, regarding floods...we had a forecast for "light scattered showers" today so I didn't worry. Until they started. By the time I got back to where my "other" car was parked the street was dry. Checked my security cams and lo & behold...there is my primary vehicle...in three feet of water for about an hour and a half! I am just about ready to go back to the three year drought we just came out of. But I really can't complain. A buddy at my neighborhood sheetmetal shop has had his house completely flooded (as in 6 feet of water) four times now in the past two months. Lost three cars and his son's monster truck. No idea yet how he fared today.

Hey Kalifornia...bring your water trucks here and feel free to fill up.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #1749
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. You asked me about my RV roll out shade over on Nomadicista.org the other day, but I'll answer here. I pulled a 20' shade from a junked S&S and cut it down to the same length you want. Mine happens to be a Super Shade brand though the mfg is long out of business. I also wanted pole brackets that mounted to the side of the bus. This unit mounts to the side but quick releases to allow for ground support. That is sort of handy because the poles or arms can be a real head banger sometimes. I ordered new awning material from "Sunbrella" on ebay and had the retaining bead sewn into it---WAY better than the usual vinyl replacement and cheaper as well. Also, the long rollers have two coil springs in them. That gives you an extra spring should you need it as in the short awnings we need there isn't enough room for two springs. The single spring works perfectly. As it happens, my buddy who runs a tow/junk yard business where I help out during police tows, just hauled in a junk S&S with an awning like I started with ( Ya, I know, cop to junk yard dog. What can I say). All the hardware is intact and I'm sure I could acquire it for my labor. If you are interested let me know. Jack
Old 06-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #1750
Bus Geek

Hey Jack --- Sounds pretty cool and very interesting. Does yours/this one have the roller cover that the shade tucks into when on the road? I am also assuming it is all mechanical. And I really like the Sunbrella idea. Seems like even the "better" RV shade materials are mostly caca at best.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #1751
Bus Geek

Hey Tango, neither are motorized nor have the box. I suppose if I had a 20' awning to deal with single handedly, the motor would be necessary. With only about 7', I can nearly reach both ends of the awning and besides KISS rules. As far as the box dealie is concerned, all that I've seen are pretty chesey and would be offensive to the eye as they lay against the beautifully rounded roof line of our buses. Having couched all that in such benign wording maybe I should say how I really feel. Jack
Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 PM   #1752
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Jack,

THAT is a beautiful awning! I call stealing that idea FIRST!!!!!

Now it's a race to see if Tang beats me to it or not............
Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 PM   #1753
Bus Geek

Looks beautiful! But I do think I want some kind of cover for the fabric to ride inside of just to limbs and such off. And hank cranking is definitely what I am looking for. The fewer electrical devices the better. Heck...I'd go for a steam powered TV if I could find one.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #1754
Bus Geek

OK...I have been slacking on the bus lately what with no new posts and all. But I have been busy. REAL busy. On that sculpting project I mentioned earlier. And since there are rules here (pix, or it didn't happen)...here ya go. Hard to see at this stage but it will be a sculpted cement & concrete on steel bench over twenty feet long.

Just rebar at this stage but the framework is now done.

Was going 90 mph to try and get the steel work done before the rains came again. Wrapped up all the cutting, bending & welding late on Saturday and 10 minutes after stowing the gear away...the bottom fell out. Close.

Been a really weird weather year so far.

ONWARD!
Old 06-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #1755
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Damn fine work.
I do have a question and think I almost know the answer?
Do you form for the concrete or use the blast Crete method or a style of both?
You can tell me to shut up and watch the progress if you want.
Love the frame work just wondering how the Crete is done.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #1756
Bus Geek

Thanks JR --- And good questions. First I wrap & tie galvanized stucco lath onto the rebar...then it gets a layer of 1-2-3 concrete. Next comes a full layer of mortar mix...then, a final detail coat of modified neat cement paste. No real aggregate in it. Tricky to work with and cure but it is almost like clay (very low water content) and can hold very fine detail. There are no forms, each layer is all hand applied and worked as it sets.

I will be posting a full set of end-to-end progress pix over on my craft forum. If it is OK with the Moddies, I will post a link below.

gardenartforum.com :: View topic - New Faux Bois Project Coming Up

Cement based media is really pretty remarkable stuff. Amazing how many ways it can be worked. Been doing this for well over twenty years and still learning new tricks. But it does have it's limits. Still wondering about how to build a cement bus.
Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 PM   #1757
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 42
You are amazing! I have been following your build for awhile and have enjoyed seeing how you figure out how to overcome the latest difficulty in your build. Your latest posts have pushed things to a new level. I have no idea how you can pour concrete in the the re-bar molds you showed (and I don't really care about the mechanics of it) but I would like to see a picture of the finished project if you don't mind.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:22 PM   #1758
Bus Geek

Bad A** Tango. I'd sure like to see you do all this. Post some in progress pics of your work--moddies be hanged! Jack
Old 06-21-2016, 07:21 PM   #1759
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Amazing, nice lines on busses and concrete. They made concrete ships, I have heard of people pouring concrete inside the rocker panel. That was before the times of expanding foam.

cool bench... stucco lathe.... does that means it remains hollow?

Later J
Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 PM   #1760
Bus Geek

Thanks for the kind words --- Jack...more pix to come on my craft forum. May put a couple more here but don't want to push it.

JB...Thanks, and yes, the seat will be hollow. I'm looking at using closed cell foam peanuts to fill much of the space.

Got the whole frame treated with a rust converter today and once again, minutes after wrapping up...it rained. Good thing this stuff is weather proof.

ONWARD!
Closed Thread