Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #2121
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
These days, the paint stores (auto or the Depot) can match just about anything. Either from a book number or a sample. If you know the make and year of a color you like, you can look it up online. One of my other options is a 1936 Cadillac color similar to the 1969. It and it's mix formula are available through online references.

This is a pretty good one...

PaintRef.com - Automotive Truck Fleet Paint Color Code Cross Reference

Old 03-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #2122
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm certainly no paint expert. I'm also colorblind. I agree we can get any color we want now days. I did read the recent thread discussion on oil base versus water based paints. It takes 20 years to find out if paint is good or not, but that's also dependant on the level of prep work.

That eucalid green was a super heavy duty oil base equipment paint that looked the color of baby poo and probably had lots and lots of lead in it. It was such a long lasting paint that it often lasted the life of the earthmoving equipment it was meant for. There was lots of it around 40-50 years ago and people would give it away for free in 5 gallon cans. Nobody could stand the color. Then again, I'm colorblind.

When the weather breaks out here in Oregon I'm going to drag out the airless spray gun and see if I can hit the broad side of this bus. I don't have a color scheme. I want to blend when I'm out in the woods so I'm probably not going to have the white roof with insulating beads. How can I hide from helicopters with a white roof, unless there's snow of course.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #2123
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I have a couple burning questions, and no I don't need a doctor for this. Well... maybe a bus doctor.

This is a stupid question that's been bothering me for a long time. The two lower interior panels beneath the rear windows on either side of the back door have stayed attached to the floor. Those two steel interior panels are the only panels that aren't out in the scrap pile. I've tried pulling them out, pounding them with a hammer, kicking and even yelling at them, but no luck. Do those have to be cut off to get rid of them? I've left the panels attached to the floor since last summer with stuff stacked against them. I didn't want to deal with a bunch of jagged metal edges from cutting or grinding if I can help it. I'm finishing up my interior walls and at present my only option seems to be cutting them off with a grinder.

Second question; About ten months ago we were discussing how to safely disable the numerous safety switches going to the doors. I was against disabling the safety's back then because the alarm occasionally reminded me to secure a door. Since I've realized it's a real PITA to manually lock and unlock the rear door at every stop while in town. 3 or 4 stops at various stores means locking and unlocking the rear doors 6 or 8 times. Also I figure at some point someone will damage one of the sensor switches possibly making me unable to start the vehicle. The rear third of this van is a garage. I expect possible light damage from loading and unloading motorcycles, and the safety switches are the biggest danger of disabling this vehicle, excluding other acts of nature.

I don't play electrician because I'm so colorblind. It's rare for my electrical tampering to work out in a positive manner. However, if I know what to disconnect... I figure I can pull a few wires. Any TC owners know the right wires to pull to disable the safety switches and alarms?

Another thing; ECCB, you were correct about the top hatch. I should have plated over it before the foam insulation was sprayed last summer, but I like the ventilation. The hatch was broken into twice last summer. It still doesn't leak at all, but it's difficult to secure. I could have had a smooth ceiling, and I did such a nice job of trimming the plywood around that hatch. I told the neighbors I was going to rig a shotgun to the hatch so it would fire when someone opened it, and the breakins miraculously stopped, but I'm pretty sure that would make the hatch leak. Anybody know how to secure a top hatch so it can't be opened from the roof?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #2124
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Thanks. But, just for the record...there are much easier ways to build a Skoolie. Like...buy one less than 70 years old.
I thought putting the geezers out to pasture was frowned upon?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #2125
Bus Geek

CCPT...Really. Damn. And here I've been in a pasture of sorts for years now.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:09 AM   #2126
Bus Geek

Off Topic Warning!

Took a few days off from working on the bus but will be back on it shortly. Have some serious design work I have to sort out for the new doghouse/firewall/dash et al.

In the meantime, I have another sculpture project in the works.

It will be a "Buzzalope"

If you are from the West or Southwest, you are probably familiar with Jackalopes. Five to six foot tall Jackrabbits that just happen to have antlers. Very common critters here in Texas. On the other hand, Buzzalopes are somewhat less common. Being large Buzzards that also have antlers, they typically tend to avoid humans, but this particular bird is pretty easy going and in fact will be hanging out at a neighborhood bar I just happen to frequent (he has a taste for Lone Star Beer which apparently goes well with rotting carcasses).

He is an eight-pointer with a wingspan of about eight feet and will perch atop a post overlooking the backyard and bayou.

I will get a few pix when there is a little more progress.

And for any followers...yes...it is indeed the very same bar where I built that cement bench a while back. In fact, the bench was just mentioned in a nice little write up in the April issue of "Texas Highways" magazine.

ONWARD (in a round-a-bout way)!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #2127
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Texas has highways???? When did that happen? Guess I'll have to get out a little more often!
Jack
Old 03-22-2017, 02:52 PM   #2128
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Yeah Trunt, we also have trees...... Imagine That !!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:51 PM   #2129
Bus Geek

Trees? Depends on what part of Texas you are in. Why do you think I had to make one out of cement?

And, just a teaser to prove I have not been lazing about...

Hard to see the framework as there is still a lot to do, but "The Buzzalope" stands about six feet tall and has a wingspan of around right feet.

Stay tuned for more but I do have to get back on the bus soon.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #2130
Bus Geek

Looks like you are making Big Bird out of left over parts from your bus. Isn't the perch BB is sitting on the original gas filler neck from your shorty? I know how you love to recycle.
Jack
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #2131
Bus Geek

Pretty close Jack, but no bus parts were harmed in the making of Big Bird...so far.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:35 PM   #2132
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: e450 super duty
Engine: 7.3l ford powerstroke
That is awsome, cant wait to see the finished birdalope, im just curious as to how & when the idea came to be.? a drunken night at the bar perhaps.?
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #2133
Bus Geek

In spite of numerous "drunken nights at the bar"...the idea was simply an evolution of the whole Texas Jackalope history. Just needed a little twist.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:01 AM   #2134
Bus Geek

Howdy Group --- Well, Big Bird is progressing, even if somewhat slowly. Need to wrap him up so I can get back to some "on topic" work on the bus.

Frame and body pretty close to finished. Working on sculpting the head and collar now.

Building a base for those areas using spray foam which will get encased in Bondo-like material. This will be the head...

...this will be his collar.

And, in the process of some testing, came across a new brand of expanding foam "sealant"...

Loctite has jumped in with what seems to be a much better foam than GreatStuff. Denser and with fewer holes...is more UV resistant...and is fully paintable with any kind of paint including oils. I shot it with a really wet dose of Rustoleum rattle can and it did not dissolve. I even poured some acetone on it and it had no effect. Seems to be a much better option for use on skoolies so I thought I'd pass it along.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:11 AM   #2135
Bus Geek

Hey! Was that the back door of a Skoolie I saw in the first pic? I'd almost forgotten about that part of your thread.
Jack
Old 03-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #2136
Bus Geek

Yeah, that "other" project is still there. Good thing I have a bigger space now or it would be in my way.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #2137
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Hey Tango, thanks for the info. Just got back to my project. March has been a helluva month. As you always say.....ONWARD !
Old 04-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #2138
Bus Geek

Hey Tango. Now that BB is just about finished how about giving some thought to a pair of matching TOADS. We'd be the hit of the camp grounds without a doubt and probably be able to hustle a bit of $change at the same time!

https://www.facebook.com/abcinsydney...1620723515446/

Whatcha think?

Jack
Old 04-01-2017, 06:45 PM   #2139
Bus Geek

No Thanks Jack. No Toadie for me...I'm terrible at backing up with trailers and such.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #2140
Bus Geek

Little stuff...Big hassle --- Spent 2-1/2 days redoing a small engine access panel so I can proceed with my firewall design. Needed to be cut back in width one stinkin' inch but did it's best to become a major project. I originally had it in place with some self-tapping sheetmetal screws, but lo and behold...a couple of them twisted of on the way out! Really? After drilling those suckers out I soon discovered that I really needed to tap the holes and use bolts as I had to go with 1/8th" angle for the new brace. That meant a couple of more trips to the hardware store. One for bolts...and then another for a 13/64's drill bit to get the right hole size to tap with 1/4 x 20 threads. 3/16th (which I had) was (naturally) a bit too small to tap properly. Grrrrrr.

Anyhow, it will now let me start on the more demanding work of creating the dash/firewall/doghouse. More fun to come.

Then there is Big Bird...

I still have more to do, but he is coming along.

Got the head & collar shaped and some features sketched on today. Now need to apply a few layers of Bondo-like material to seal it all and sculpt the final finish. All it will need then is some paint...and installing...welded atop and eight-foot post.

Not enough hours in the day, despite Daylight Savings Time.

ONWARD!
Closed Thread