Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:40 PM   #3301
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I bought a couple motors from them for my carpenter 2 years ago, seemed like nice people.. prices were high compared to TAC that I found right in my back yard. (newark Ohio).
-Christopher

Old 06-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #3302
Mini-Skoolie

That is a sweet sculpture. I like it very much.
GW
Old 06-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #3303
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Hey Tango,

Look in the Aircraft Spruce catolog on line.
Lots of cool but not cheap stuff for homebuilders and certificated airplanes also.
Joe
Old 06-25-2018, 06:51 PM   #3304
Bus Nut

Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
any size you want

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=86263
Old 06-25-2018, 10:32 PM   #3305
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Thanks for the kind words. Also...I am an old fan of Aircraft Spruce. Great stuff there.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:47 PM   #3306
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Guido...you and a few locals already know where this is. Shoot me a note and stop in sometime.
ONWARD!

Don, the table looks amazing. Can't wait to see it in person. Last time I saw it it was just a rebar skeleton.

By the way, I'm working in Pearland for the next month or two, hope to link up with you once I get my schedule sorted out.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:06 AM   #3307
Bus Geek

Thanks Guido. Hope to see you soon. Are you teaching yet?
Old 06-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #3308
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
IDk what to say other than wow, man. You always seem to be working on something creative and impressive!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #3309
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Enough of the accolades already! They are keeping our pal from working on his bus 'cause he feels compelled to politely thank each admirer thereby loosing even more bus time. There Tango, I've cleared the decks for you to continue uninterrupted. Of course if we are going to withhold our admiration we will be expecting many pics of your bus work to be posted! Jack
Old 06-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #3310
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Enough of the accolades already! They are keeping our pal from working on his bus 'cause he feels compelled to politely thank each admirer thereby loosing even more bus time. There Tango, I've cleared the decks for you to continue uninterrupted. Of course if we are going to withhold our admiration we will be expecting many pics of your bus work to be posted! Jack

But we HAVE to acknowledge quality when we see it.....otherwise the mundane becomes common, and there's nothing to inspire us.

Instead, let's just absolve Tango of any need to reply to our praise, so he can keep moving.....

ONWARD!

The Busted Flush
Old 06-30-2018, 06:49 PM   #3311
Bus Geek

Ok...one big "Many Thanks to All". That should cover it.

Meanwhile...I spent more than anticipated time and busted knuckles on yet another "little item". My E-Brake system. Like everything else on this build, it had to be constructed from scratch. I gotta tell ya...they are NOT as simple as one might expect. Thanks to Guido I ditched the Jeep lever and went with a Mil-Spec surplus item instead. No electrical, no springs. Just a hardy little lever. Then...I had to fab a tower so it would be in reach. Then...there was the mounting plate on the tranny. Then...there was sorting out a custom made cable and all the associated hardware. Then...there was a couple of days just trying to get all the measurements right (turns out they are real finicky in that regard). Then... I realized I needed to go ahead and install the rubber tile flooring under the tower before I could go any further. Then...after a half dozen trips to a shop just down the road that fabs cables and seems to know their stuff...I had a cable and most of the parts. Now I could finally do all the drilling and tapping to mount this sucker.

All that was left was just to hook it up. Piece - O - Cake. Not.

I spent another full day tweeking, pulling, yanking, tack welding, wrenching (including my back) and cursing the day I decided to rebuild a 70+ year old bus just to get to this point...

Still needs the cover screwed on and there is some final welding to be done on the lower mount, but...

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Unless you have a small fortune to hand it off to a builder with a full team and all the right equipment and can do it all in a few months...do NOT start a project like this by yourself unless you are under age 30! And even then, figure on being well past retirement age before you will be driving it.

ONWARD!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #3312
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Neat tables, love to see useful art. Look here if interested at what we do. Rappahannock Boat Works

Must say I have to wonder sometimes why I picked an older bus, sometimes seems never ending. I still like it though and will march onward. Tomorrow is "bus day". I pulled the oil pan the other day just to have a look, and was plesently surprised. Cam looks great, still have the honing marks on the cylinder walls. Will paint some parts and start closing it up,the engine that is, and move toward getting it running.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:13 PM   #3313
Almost There

Coachwork: Ford/Willock
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Doesn't have one
Rated Cap: 16 passenger
Awesome bench and table Tango!
Old 06-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #3314
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Right nice. The red material on the floor will go a long way towards the Art Deco look you're after. Jack
Old 06-30-2018, 08:42 PM   #3315
Bus Geek

Thanks Jack. I put the same flooring (Pirelli) down in a loft I built a few years back and loved it. Tough as nails and does indeed have roots in the Art Deco period. Nice catch.

Hmmm...got me wondering. Maybe I could save on a lot of bodywork by covering the OUTside in this stuff.

And Ronnie...fantastic classic boats! Thanks for sharing. I'd love to have a steamer version of the African Queen! Could also use some of their woodworking skills too. All the compound curves on this old gal are tricky to deal with.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:51 PM   #3316
Almost There

Post '46 Chevy Shorty

Hi guys,

Somebody tell me a joke, say something positive about a bus, or in general, cheer me up.

I just came off Facebook and a WAR with a bunch of idiots who want to kill off every sea lion in the ocean from the way they're talking. I've been called names and had my comments twisted until I am ready to scream.

I know sea lions sink boats they climb onto, yes they eat our salmon, but they gotta live too.

My own bus is still in the clean-up phase. Poor Pit Stop won't see the last of the hoarders junk for a while yet, then she'll be getting a pressure wash and next Spring she'll finally get some dents out and new paint, I am tired of the orange.

Every other vehicle here (except Rob's Jeep) is some shade of blue so I'm planning on blue paint--but not the Orly Blue on my Jetta--it looks purple in the sun. Probably the Satin Blue that my old Datsun was, simply because the paint code is stuck in my head.

Tango, I love your table and bench, can't help you with the defroster parts for your bus though. Got defroster issues of my own, can't get the parts for my Jetta either and the last owner put a tube sock on the heating duct.

Anybody heard anything of my old friend Accordion? (Rudy Harley) I know he wasn't well.

Have a good night guys, this bus girl has calmed down now. HUGS to all of you
Lois
Old 07-01-2018, 04:02 PM   #3317
Bus Geek

Good to hear you have chilled out Yugo. Can't let scum like that get under your skin. They ain't worth it.

Meanwhile...back in the hothouse...

I have learned I need to get working by about 7am. Any later and I won't get much done. With the heat index well over 100 and working in a tin building (aka; microwave oven)...by 3pm, I am toasted.

Managed to get the E/Park brake wrapped up this morning. And it even seems to work. Probably won't really know until I can drive it out to some 15% grade and test it, but so far it is looking OK.

This is the lower cable bracket I had to fab to mount on the tranny.

And here it is mounted and hooked up to the cable.

Will probably have to do some very minor tweaking on the final cable routing but won't really know until more work is done on the transmission oil cooler...which I am re-locating just a tad.

joie et ONWARD!
Old 07-01-2018, 04:19 PM   #3318
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

joie et ONWARD!
...a nod for Canada Day?

Always love seeing your progress, especially when something works and you are able to move on to another part on the project!

Cheers!

John
Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 AM   #3319
Almost There

"Good to hear you have chilled out Yugo. Can't let scum like that get under your skin. They ain't worth it."

Well Tango, it didn't end there. some scum re-posted the link and cross-posted my positive comments in a way that made me look like a fool. So at 4 AM Pacific time I was reporting the scum to the Admin and Facebook, they were great and had the thread shut down in 5 minutes. Glad our Admin lives in another time zone and I could reach him at that time.

Didn't get much sleep last night and spent Canada Day trying to sleep--no dice, I'd just gotten to sleep when my friend Shelagh text me asking for some stuff that hoarder I threw out wanted. Afraid my answer wasn't very polite. Ended up sleeping from 10:30 am until 5 pm and missing the celebration jam at the community hall.

Tomorrow I am going to take another day off and work with room mate Rob on my latest project, a 1976 Prowler "Wilderness" trailer. I got an awesome deal on it, no leaks except in the plumbing and all it needs is a few replacement hoses for the propane system and new PVC pipe for the plumbing. Pit Stop can wait until my knee heals a bit more. Her floor isn't level and I wiped out the other day, results; 1 wrenched knee and ankle.
But I shall survive and enjoy working on the trailer instead. Have a great night all, Cheers, Lois
Old 07-02-2018, 12:59 AM   #3320
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
That wrapped exhaust

Tango, I have used exhaust wrap many times, I do not use it any more. I seemed to pick up cracks in the exhausts that I had wrapped about 80% of the time. The count is about 50 different vehicles. The most successful was a "ceramic" coating on the inside of the exhaust tubing. The worst case was a mazda with carbon fiber body work, kept cooking body work, tried like ten different things to keep from cooking the epoxies out of the body, finally did the inside of the exhaust, that stopped the problem.

william
Closed Thread