RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-10-2018, 12:18 PM   #61
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1955
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 6700
Engine: 327
Nice bus, I like the older ones myself, pre-'63. You are keeping the bus side windows? Having lived in a converted '58 chevy for several years with bus windows I noticed the counter top was above the bottom of the window. They are also hard to operate, if you can get one open gravity does the rest, closing was always a chore and hard on the back, leaning forward and lifting up. Easier to close if you can get right up against the window to push up.
Bluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 05:42 PM   #62
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
bluesky

Yea, gonna keep all bus windows.... This will be more people hauler than house on wheels. Seating for ten, most often expect is seven. Thing for haulin grandkids around the US in school breaks.

Go to the first of the this thread and you will have a better idea. I have two of the windows worked over and I think with some thin film plastics, I can make those windows unlatch super easy. I have to eliminate metal to metal contact on the latch internals themselves. I have it working now, but durability needs to be addressed. I know what I want is out there already, I just have to find it.

Deciding on how to paint it now.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 AM   #63
Bus Nut

In Virginia

Here to remove fenders, hood and other parts from a 1955 fire truck. I bought the whole thing so I could get fenders, they are few and far between and besides, I get to have another adventure so I can spin a few more fireside stories. Pictures later.

william
Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #64
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Good luck. Even though I am in Virginia it is a bit of way away. But if you get in a bind on something I'll see what I can do.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #65
Bus Nut

latest work on the bus

The bummer side... been three, going on four months the bus and trucks that are donating parts are still sittin there. Grrrrrrrrr.

The good side, I have the dodge stripped, engine is almost ready to pull, shifter, driveshaft, motor mounts, transmission cross member. the engine is down to a long block.

I will use the dodge engine bay harness for the motor and the lighting, and some of the harness from the cab.

I have the under dash a/c, heater unit test fitted. Vintage air gen IV magnum. Lots of room. even space, if I need to, to notch the fire wall four inches to clear the engine.

The 2005 ford cab is unbolted from the chassis, the braking system is unbolted and will stay with the frame when the cab is lifted off. The brake pedal and brackets and brake pedal switch will go to the bus. The ford antilock system is separated from the wire harness and will also stay with the chassis.

I have all the lights for bus. I will need , switches, connectors, wire, and bus bars.

I have been able to do four hours a day for the last couple of weeks... The dodge is supposed to move into the shop for engine/trans removal today or tomorrow- but they said that two weeks ago too. and the bus is supposed move into the shop the day after the dodge.

My new goal is the february meet in florida........ pipe dream for now. we will see

william
Old 10-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Yea might be a pipe dream, but... have to have a dream. I was sure I would have mine ready for a trip last month. Just started driving it this week. Plan to use it overnight for e few weekends starting weekend after this. If all goes well then skoolie palooza in January.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:56 PM   #67
Bus Nut

raining today

went out to the bus..... there is now a hole in the shop for the dodge to come in for engine removal. but, the dodge is still outside. hang head and sigh.

On the up side, three bundles of wire in the dodge harness I could not identify, are connections to the engine harness, now identified.

also learned I missed two body to frame bolts on the ford, and now have a better idea of what i need to do to get that ready to take the cab off. I also need to start listing stuff on craigslist to sell off.

william
Old 10-18-2018, 07:56 PM   #68
Bus Nut

It moved!

The dodge pickup went into the shop this afternoon. Engine is supposed to be pulled tomorrow morning. The bus had to be moved in order to get to the pickup... first time in three months.

william
Old 10-18-2018, 07:58 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
The bummer side... been three, going on four months the bus and trucks that are donating parts are still sittin there. Grrrrrrrrr.

The good side, I have the dodge stripped, engine is almost ready to pull, shifter, driveshaft, motor mounts, transmission cross member. the engine is down to a long block.

I will use the dodge engine bay harness for the motor and the lighting, and some of the harness from the cab.

I have the under dash a/c, heater unit test fitted. Vintage air gen IV magnum. Lots of room. even space, if I need to, to notch the fire wall four inches to clear the engine.

The 2005 ford cab is unbolted from the chassis, the braking system is unbolted and will stay with the frame when the cab is lifted off. The brake pedal and brackets and brake pedal switch will go to the bus. The ford antilock system is separated from the wire harness and will also stay with the chassis.

I have all the lights for bus. I will need , switches, connectors, wire, and bus bars.

I have been able to do four hours a day for the last couple of weeks... The dodge is supposed to move into the shop for engine/trans removal today or tomorrow- but they said that two weeks ago too. and the bus is supposed move into the shop the day after the dodge.

My new goal is the february meet in florida........ pipe dream for now. we will see

william
Man, I'd love to meet ya in Feb.
If you can't make it I'll throw a BBQ for you when you CAN make it to FL!
Old 10-18-2018, 10:05 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Hell I might do the florida thing

with out the bus..... Just to go. I might have to find one to drive just to drive one..... My wife would ...... well she just would if I bought another old bus just to drive out there..... There is the 56 wayne, south of dallas, the 53 wayne north of me, a 60 international that looks like a superior in california, The old air force bus here in kansas..... I just need to focus on one for now.. Gotta keep repeating focus on one for now, focus on one for now...

william
Old 04-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #71
Bus Nut

finally some progress

The ford f-450 was moved into the building yesterday. The cab should come off today. I will post pictures later today, I think. Then engine is due back at the bus in a week. I will also have another frame section to pick up sometime in the next few days. I go tomorrow to nebraska to buy much better condition front fenders, that are also wider than the ones I have on the bus now. The plastic 40 gallon fuel has been acquired.

The wheel base is too long, and the frame will be cut and shortened about where the cab sits now, then the rear of the frame will made longer. The idea is there will be a 12 inch to 18 inch, 30cm to 45cm, step just behind the bus, The idea when you exit the rear door you have a step before you step down.This will also serve as a shelf when using the grill at the rear of the bus. or place for stuff...... dunno just yet.

The rear frame section I bought also had a class 5 hitch on it. I have not decided if I am going to put more than one fuel tank on the bus. If I get 12 miles to the gallon, that will give me a range of 400 miles with a couple of gallons to spare. I will have a sump installed on the fuel tank and I anticipate being able to use 39 gallons without fuel starvation.

I am excited to be able to get some of this going. I have been looking at properties to buy or rent and move all the bus project there but now something is moving, I will hold off for now.

The next couple of weeks should see, reman calipers, new ball joints, tie rod ends, new steering box, new bushings, diff replaced, axle seals.. blah blah blah, trying to get chassis as close to new as I can get, short of buying a new chassis.

cheeers, william
Old 04-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #72
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Feels great to be moving forward doesn't it!? Even as slow as I am going... A little here and there are big wins!
Old 04-13-2019, 01:55 AM   #73
Bus Nut

you are leaps and bounds ahead of me.... you can drive yours.......

william, but yes it is nice to see some thing happening other than me just buying stuff for the bus
Old 05-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #74
Bus Nut

I cut the frame today

The 2005 ford F450 frame needs the 176" wheel base brought to 154" to match the wheel base on the 1954 wayne. I cut the frame today. pictures to follow.I have to learn how to adjust picture size again.... be back later when I figure this out.
william
Old 05-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #75
Bus Nut

the start of cutting the frame - taking stuff apart

This is the engine bay of the 2005 ford f450 that is going to be the donor chassis for the bus. I am keeping the braking system. In this picture I am undoing wires for the anti lock braking system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0353b.jpg (1.12 MB, 6 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:07 PM   #76
Bus Nut

steps to frame cutting

This is the donor truck in the shop.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0354.JPG (1.00 MB, 7 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 PM   #77
Bus Nut

steps to frame cutting

Some of the stuff has already been disconnected and removed, like fan, radiator, intercooler, batteries, left front fender, wiring harness from the back of of the truck to the firewall. shift cable, cab to frame bolts, ground straps, air conditioner condenser, transmission cooler, front bumper, headlights, stuff just in the way of getting the cab off the frame and the engine and transmission out of the frame.

and here is the frame after power washing. The gray painted areas are projected cutting spots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0360.JPG (1.26 MB, 7 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:21 PM   #78
Bus Nut

the first thing to cut off

This is a frame to cab mount that is in the way of measuring and cutting. I cut off one on each side, and ground down some weld that was in the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0358.JPG (1.09 MB, 4 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #79
Bus Nut

frame cutting

So I removed a transmission crossmember, removed old exhaust, started to measure and scribe lines to mark where I will cut... spent about four hours... not done marking. I stopped to check and make sure all my scribe lines were falling in the right place.... they were not. I had to start all over. I have to shorten the frame 22". The 1954 bus has a wheel base of 154" and the donor ford has 176". The cut, you will see later, has an 8" overlap. Here is an over all look from farther back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0361.JPG (1.39 MB, 9 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #80
Bus Nut

frame cutting

Out of sequence, notice exhaust is in the picture. You can just see some scribe marks on the gray primer areas. Notice the fuel lines and a brake line on the far frame rail, I have to pay attention so as not to cut them. I want to shorten brake line later. The ford fuel pump is the silvery thing on the right, that is gone now too. Too much pressure for the Cummins 5.9 12v that will be going into this bus. The transmission out of the donor ford has already found a home in a f350 4wd with a bad transmission. I put away the tape measure after this and used a piece of metal cut at 22".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0362.JPG (1.39 MB, 7 views)