Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
54 ford wayne body

Well the bus is not here yet. I have a 2005 ford f450 that will go under the bus. That was delivered yesterday. If, this all works out. The antilock feature will be intact when the bus is drivable. A 3.73 rear differential is on its way. so many parts to gather together.

magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The fact that yours is a post-war body should make for a much easier transplant than any of the pre-war buses. Their frames (like mine) narrow WAY down in front making for a tough fit on both the body and any engine. I'm guessing you will have plenty of room for that 6BT without having to set it back in the frame. Might take some mods to the firewall but that should be a piece of cake.

This will be fun to follow. Can't wait to see some pix.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

sshhh dont tell my wife

I just bought a camera ... for this and another project I am working on. pictures, hopefully of the f450 tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

updates --

The bus is still in Colorado, bummer. Shipping has been paid for and I am not afraid of a rip off. Just sometimes life happens.

The 2005 f450 is here.

Rebuilt NV5600 is here

3.73 rear center section is here.

This is going into the rear suspension RD11KDF Air Ride Suspension for Ford F450 Cab Chassis - 2003 - 2007

This a link showing what this is.

https://www.stengelbros.net/RD11KDF-...07_p_1581.html

I have some pictures of the f450 but I still need to learn how to down load from the camera.

cheers
Old 06-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Hopefully not the 6.0L diesel engine.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

not the 6.0

I will be using a 5.9 cummins 12 valve turned up to 300hp-350hp range.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

colorado here I come

I leave at nine in the morning for pueblo colorado. I have Okie coming from texas to load and haul the bus to lawrence kansas. If all goes well, I meet up with Okie sunday night, and will have the bus loaded monday morning. Nervous, I have not been able to make contact with seller for a month. I am trying not to think the worst. This has gone well so far.

regards to all,
william
Old 06-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Can't comment on your seller, but Okie did a great job bringing my '46 home from Utah (tell him I said Howdy!). Best of luck. This should be an awesome build to follow and it sounds like you have most of the big stuff lined up and ready to go.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:21 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Good luck! Hope all goes well!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

the seller wigs out!

Okay, sit down and hang on.

I arrive at the seller's home on sunday about 7 ish. Keep in mind, I have been trying to contact sell via telephone and text messaging for a month, with no apparent success.

So he opens the door and I introduce my self, "Hi, I'm Will. They guy that bought the bus. I came to pick it up."

He says " You can't pick it up. You did not call me and give me any notice you were coming!"

"Can we go check it out?" I say.

"Who is we?"

"My two friends, me, and the truck driver that is hauling the bus." I respond.

"NO! I'm not gonna let that many people in my back yard. I don't want people looking at my stuff. No you can't all go back there."

I am not having good vibes on this gig..........

"Would it be okay if just the truck driver and I go back with you?" I ask.

I try to lower my voice and be as non confrontational as I know how. I do not want this to blow up in my face. I have hired a semi with lowboy, driven 8 hours, bought a winch, 40 feet of chain, big battery for the winch, that will go into the bus, the battery, not the winch, a snatch block, and dinner for five people. In addition to buying the bus, and already paying once to have it moved.

Can you tell I am a little leery of all of this getting really ugly in a hurry.

Victor, the guy that sold the bus, took my money, and I am talking with now, says "Okay I can do that. But not any more people than that."

We walk back in to his yard, that has three rottweilers chained up in three different spots in the back yard. We three are standing by bus and Victor says " You did not give me any notice. You can not pick up the bus today. I have my stuff in the bus I have to take out."

"I tried to call you and send you text messages for a month now." I take out my telephone to show him.

Victor "When did you call me last?"

Me "The last text message was two days ago and I tried calling the day before that and the day before that. I have been trying every couple of days for last two weeks. I have not been able to get a response for a month now"

Victor "Come back Wednesday, I can have it empty then."

Me "I already have a truck here to haul it. We are set up to load it tomorrow morning. It will cost me another $1000 to have that truck sit for a day. Look, I am not asking for the tow money back. I know that things can happen and go wrong. I don't expect it back. I am more worried about being able to load this and get it back to Kansas because I have things ready to start putting this back to a running condition. Stuff will be ready in a few days to start putting this together. I need to get this bus rolling. Can I do anything to help you clean out your stuff from the bus?"

Bus driver, he goes by Okie. Okie chimes in "This is not too much, we can have this unloaded in an hour, two at the most."

This sets Victor off again. "Nobody is gonna tell me what to do in my own house. You can leave now."

I stand between Okie and Victor and turn facing Victor and as quietly, politely, and controlled as I can, " Victor, could we be able to load tomorrow moring?"

"No. The soonest I will have the bus empty is nine tomorrow morning. There is still the engine" - some buick 350 and an automatic transmission, and I think a radiator sitting, not bolted in the engine bay.

Victor continues, " I thought you did not want the engine. That will take at least an hour to get the engine out."

"You are correct. I have no use for the engine. So, how about I come at 11?"

Okie adds "Let's give a little more time and just aim for noon." Thank you okie, I think to myself.

Me "would that work okay for you, Victor? Noon?"

"Yea I can do that"

Me "Thank you, Victor. See you tomorrow."

Victor " I am not talking to any one but you. I don't want to anybody else talking to me, only you. Got it?"

"no problem Victor. Just you and I"

Victor adds " I don't want that trailer in my driveway. I will pull the bus up to front and you can tow it out from there with your jeep, then you can load it out in the street. I don't want that truck backing up in the driveway."

I respond " Sure, not a problem. See you at noon, tomorrow."

Already I am three hours late from the planned schedule. Wanted to start loading at nine and now am loading at noon. ****. But it looks like disaster avoided.

Here is what I think happened.

Victor, and/or the guy that was supposed to haul my bus to Kansas, a month ago. They spent the money already. Victor, I think, really did not get my text messages for some reason. The telephone had a recording that said ' that said the user has not set up the in box for messages"

So, when I was standing at the door, he was blindsided by me just standing there. I think Victor is the kind of guy to go in with a baseball bat and demand his money back and because of that, he expects the same kind of brute force approach in return. I caught him so far out he just did not know how to react and went into full circle the wagon defense mode.

I helped the situation by telling Victor I did not expect the money back. That let him know I was not going to go off the deep end with the tow money I sent him. Okie helped by giving him more time to get stuff done. I think being left alone over night to think about the situation helped too.

The truck driver, my friends and I have a pow wow and make a plan for loading the bus. I want to set up the winch, battery, chains and wheel chocks and get the tow trailer as ready as possible out of sight of Victors house. To keep any possible tensions to a minimum. We meet at 11 and go to the neighborhood and park the next street over, a block away. We set up and pull in front of Victors at 12:08.

David, one of the friends that came with me on this adventure backed the jeep up to the bus, I chained up the bus and we towed out of the driveway.
Victor has to say "Don't hit my fence!"

I stop and turn and look at him, a little exasperated at this point, muster all the politeness I have left, " We will not hit the fence. We will be carefull."

Jeeze!

We get the bus in line with the trailer and hook up for the winching up the trailer. Julie, david's wife is steering, david and Okie manage cable and chains for the pull. Okies wife is operating the winch under my instruction, and julie is steering according to David. I make a mistake and have to stop loading halfway up the ramps. There is a chain I did not fasten the d ring correctly and the ring is pulling apart. I park the bus, Did I mention there are no brakes on this at all. none. no pedals, no cables, no hand brake. none.
I replace the one damaged ring with two rings and make certain this time I screw them shut. We continue the pull and chain the bus to the trailer. We are able to hit the road in an hour.

Victor as some point tells Julie, " I sorry about how I was last night. " Victor does a nice suprise and hands me the title for the bus. Last tagged in 1971.

Turns out this was a skoolie back then, there is a propane bottle under the bus, and shards of curtains in the windows. one or two of the seats are still there. Was painted red with blue on the rub rails. You can see the colors when are farther away from the bus.

The bus is about two hours out as I type this. Time for me to shut down for now. and call the place that is doing some of the big work for me and let them know when the bus will be there. I will post a slew of pictures later. I am going to have to lean how, I have not posted any yet and will have to practice, I have many to post.

regards to all,

william
Old 06-26-2018, 02:23 PM   #11
Skoolie

My goodness! At least you were able to succeed without any hiccups. Congrats n post pics when you can.
1940s 'Binder 7 window, man cave
Oldcarnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

pictures!!!

First picture of bus arriving in Kansas - picture test.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000054.JPG  
Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Wow. Good thing you did not lose your cool and kept your composure to get what you wanted. Glad it worked out for you.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

More pictures

Arrival day- earlier this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000055a.jpg   P1000056a.jpg   P1000057a.jpg  
Old 06-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
Very impressive!
Old 06-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
nice work getting that home guys and gals. She's a beauty and can'twait to see the transformation.
Enjoy the hot hard work!

John
Old 06-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
You have more patience than I do! Sounds like you handled yourself very well. Glad you got it home!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:02 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Nice! What a story. Cooler heads prevailed. Good luck!
SherryWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I can see where you'd want to rip the guys head off, but you were in a lose/lose situation. Glad it worked out and I know it's an amazing feeling seeing that thing in your total control now.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:22 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

a few more pictures

I don't remember if I said this, The bus was last registered in 1971, and was a former skoolie conversion! There is a propane tank bolted to the underside, The bus seats rearranged for a dinette, and shards of curtains on a string above the windows. Notice the pictures of the drivers side that the bus was painted blue and red.