Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2021, 09:05 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Allison
Engine: 3800 466e international
Rated Cap: 35
6 window bus tires

Does anyone have tire recomendations?

1catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:29 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1catlady View Post
Without specific bus chassis info, here are some pointers.

Your bus should have a tag from the chassis / coachwork manufacturer that will indicate the GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) for front and rear axles, as well as the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating). It should also have some recommended tire and PSI info as well.

If there is no tag, or it has no tire info, simply put, you need only divide the GAWR for a given axle across how many tires it has to get the recommended max load weight rating per tire. And on larger buses (2+ ton chassis), steer tires (front tires) are different than drive (rear) tires. Example:

Front axle - 8,500 lbs / 2 tires = 4,250 lb rated tires are necessary.
Rear axle - 9,500 lbs / 2 tires = 4,750 lb rated tires are necessary.
Rear axle - 9,500 lbs / 4 tires = 2,375 lb rated tires are necessary.

These are, of course, examples that reflect a minimum load rating based a given axle weight rating, as most suitable tires you find will be rated more than that, but there's no problem with running higher weight rated tires, you just can't get away with running tires with a lower weight rating.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Please provide what aspects of tire recommendation you're looking for. If there's something specific, ask specifically. If it's a general question, providing some areas of the tire you're most interested in knowing about.

Are you looking for a brand?
Off road or mostly highway?
How many steel belts are in the tire?
Radial?

In addition to Cheese's information, tires have a rating system. The system is for how much load, speed, etc.. Why is this important, because if you compare two identical tires and the only difference is the rating you may be paying a lot more for a lot less tire.

Best of luck.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:58 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Given your profile I'm going to make an assumption you're on an IH chassis, which will likely be riding on 19.5" or 22.5" wheels. We're talking *COMMERCIAL* grade, heavy duty, tractor-trailer truck tires. Asking which brand or model of tire is "best" is like asking which make and model of vehicle is best. Some like Chevy's, some like Fords, some prefer Hondas or Toyotas. Some like sedans, some like pickups or SUV's, some like minivans. Using this same line of thinking, what will you be using them for? Highway cruising only? Occasional gravel roads? Frequent grassy fields? (And in the case of the trucking world) thick muddy log trails or chicken-house driveways? Long distance cruising or frequent short trips with lots of turns in town? Answer those questions and some tire gurus can narrow down a list to specific tire brands and models to pick from.
Or, you could simply find the least expensive El Cheapo Chinese brand tires in your size and call it good ... and hope for the best. They may last a long time and work just fine. Or not.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my 6 window Bluebird IH uses 225/70R19.5 tires.

it had Samson tires on it when I got it.. I ran those several years without issue until they wore down.. I replaced them with 6 IronMan tires of the same size. all position. I have had those tires about a year and a half with zero issues.

I did traditional balance weights instead of beads. as i didnt have very good luck with the beads in my other busses.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1catlady View Post
What size is on it now?
Window count really doesn't have much to do with tire selection.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote