Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

'86 ihi

Comments?

86 International short bus 22 passenger

https://postimg.org/gallery/3dyu4v3sq/

Saw it today, engine ran really clean and smooth, clutch shifted well. How bad are those tire cracks?

Can you tell from the picture I posted what the axle gearing is?

bamudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:54 PM   #2
Skoolie

Looks nice, as for the tire cracks, I would look up the DOT number/Date code it will tell the tire age. Common wisdom is if they are over 7 years old, replace them.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

It looks like there's a little fluid leaking underneath in several places including the rear differential. Is that ok/normal?
Old 11-13-2016, 10:24 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
That is a sweet sized bus for sure. Dig that its short but still all bus. Good luck!

edit; here's a thread talking about how good a motor that is.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-any-good.html
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:36 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

With that engine, that transmission, and the fact it is a shorty I doubt it will go any faster than 55-58 MPH. It may actually only get up to 47 MPH.

As old as it is I would offer a lot less than the asking price.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:52 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Which transmission is in it?
Old 11-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
That is a sweet sized bus for sure. Dig that its short but still all bus. Good luck!

edit; here's a thread talking about how good a motor that is.

6.9L diesel any good? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

me too!! thats the way both of mine are too.. short but still like a Big bus.. my carpenter especially.. its all brute..

I love that little wayne! we had a couple of those just like that in school growing up... ours were automatics.. i dopnt know what all engines were offered in 86 on an IH.. but I know the diesels we had went up to close to 60...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
me too!! thats the way both of mine are too.. short but still like a Big bus.. my carpenter especially.. its all brute..

I love that little wayne! we had a couple of those just like that in school growing up... ours were automatics.. i dopnt know what all engines were offered in 86 on an IH.. but I know the diesels we had went up to close to 60...
-Christopher
In '86, one could get (as far as diesels from IH):

6.9, 7.3 (not common for that year), 9.0, DT360 and DT466.

The 6.9 and 9.0 were discontinued for 1988 because they couldn't meet emissions, and the 7.3 was re-engineered to take their place.

I think the gas engines were discontinued around 1985, but a handful were still made into '86 or so.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Clarification: this one has a 6.9 diesel. Recently rebuilt, exhaust is very clean, engine noise is good.

With a bus like this, are there mods I can do to get it up to be able to do highway speeds? At least 70? And, I assume that means changing the axle ratio and transmission, how much would those cost? I'm new to this level of mechanic'ing--I've changed starters, alternators, things like that before, but never something as big as transmissions and axle ratios. I'm entirely ok with it taking forever to get up to speed, but I'd like to be able to do decent speed. And again, what sort of gas mileage should I expect? That's not exactly an aerodynamic bus, but I've read the 6.9 engine is decently efficient given it's size.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
In '86, one could get (as far as diesels from IH):

6.9, 7.3 (not common for that year), 9.0, DT360 and DT466.

The 6.9 and 9.0 were discontinued for 1988 because they couldn't meet emissions, and the 7.3 was re-engineered to take their place.

I think the gas engines were discontinued around 1985, but a handful were still made into '86 or so.

ahhh how cool stuff!!! makes sense as to why in 86 the schools i went to suddenly went from not having a single diesel to ordering only diesels.. they got some in the early spring and then there were more in the fall.. the first ones were carpenters then they got bluebirds in the fall.. (bus 52 the one I rode was a brand new {I believe DT360 and for sure AT545} bluebird conventional with A/C).. our schools never had a flat-nose bus till afer IO graduated.. they were mostly 11 row conventionals except for the short busses...

my first first bus was an 86 GMC shorty with a 454 gasser that I think was factory and an AT545 (that I amazingly never blew up even though I BUILT the motor)
-Christopher
Old 11-14-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
Clarification: this one has a 6.9 diesel. Recently rebuilt, exhaust is very clean, engine noise is good.

With a bus like this, are there mods I can do to get it up to be able to do highway speeds? At least 70? And, I assume that means changing the axle ratio and transmission, how much would those cost? I'm new to this level of mechanic'ing--I've changed starters, alternators, things like that before, but never something as big as transmissions and axle ratios. I'm entirely ok with it taking forever to get up to speed, but I'd like to be able to do decent speed. And again, what sort of gas mileage should I expect? That's not exactly an aerodynamic bus, but I've read the 6.9 engine is decently efficient given it's size.
I can get my rear axle module refurbished with a new gearset for about $850-900 (I don't have the knowledge and skill to properly adjust the gearset, and them doing it provides a warranty). It's heavy, but with a transmission jack, I should be able to pull and reinstall it myself. My bus currently has 5.38 gears and I would consider something closer to 4.11

I do believe there are turbo kits for the 6.9 and understand it's a great improvement to the engine. That said, it's your gearing that will primarily limit your top speed - your engine horsepower and torque limit how fast you'll get up to speed, and ascend hills.

I would not figure a 6.9 to get *ANY* gas mileage - it uses diesel! I would guess somewhere around the 10 MPG range cruising at 60 or so, and it'll drop at speeds above that. Maintaining 70, I would not be surprised to see it drop to 8 MPG.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
I have the 6.9l Diesel in my 1984 F250 with a Banks Turbo...they did not come with a turbo option from the factory. I get 12-15 MPG even when towing a loaded car trailer.

Nice thing about the 6.9 and the early 7.3 is there is no computer to muck things up...it's all about when you combust something flammable it goes boom and your on your way. These engines are also popular to use with veggie oil and other alternative fuels. A more simple diesel engine but they do still have their quirks. Oilburners.net is a great site for reference.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:05 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Do you run reclaimed oil in yours? And what gearing does yours have in the truck?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

3.54 and no I haven't tried WVO yet. I do have two tanks to keep them separate but just haven't taken the time to do all the research on filtering and blends. As they say...too many projects and not enough time.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Ok thanks could you post a picture of yours?
Old 11-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Similar newer option. How are the T444Es?

Perfect Tailgating Bus
Old 11-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamudd View Post
Similar newer option. How are the T444Es?

Perfect Tailgating Bus

OI have a 6 row 2000 bluebird similar.. i am still fairly recent at T-444E's.. they are Similar to the ford powerstrok 7.3 ion mechanics and basic operation and some of the parts are the same so there is some love online for them.

if taken care of they can go far.. ive only put about 2200 miles on mine driving it from houston to st pete and st pete to Columbus.. I altered a few settings in my computer and changed a fuel pressure regulator per an IHC TSB.. seems to run great.. my particular bus is geared such it will cruise 65-70 on the highway. the T-444E is very sensitive to running clean oil.. so keep its oil changed often.. like any Electronic engine it can be pricey to repair unless you leanr how to work with the electromics and at least do basic troubleshooting.. testing for grounds, making sure connectors are tight etc.. the 'WARN ENGINE' light on thoise T-444E's is the equivalent of the 'Check engine' light on a car.. means the computer thinks a sensor is rogue... personally I like my 444E so far.. ion a smaller bus like that it seems plenty powerful.

beware of rust on any Ohio bus.. blue-birds like to rust esp on the roof rivets it seems.. that one being repainted before may not have issues..

id definitely give the bus a look! maybe offer them a little less like always with craigslist stuff
-Christopher
Old 11-14-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry if you thought it is a bus, it's a F250 pickup...

Old 11-14-2016, 09:30 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
OI have a 6 row 2000 bluebird similar.. i am still fairly recent at T-444E's.. they are Similar to the ford powerstrok 7.3 ion mechanics and basic operation and some of the parts are the same so there is some love online for them.

if taken care of they can go far.. ive only put about 2200 miles on mine driving it from houston to st pete and st pete to Columbus.. I altered a few settings in my computer and changed a fuel pressure regulator per an IHC TSB.. seems to run great.. my particular bus is geared such it will cruise 65-70 on the highway. the T-444E is very sensitive to running clean oil.. so keep its oil changed often.. like any Electronic engine it can be pricey to repair unless you leanr how to work with the electromics and at least do basic troubleshooting.. testing for grounds, making sure connectors are tight etc.. the 'WARN ENGINE' light on thoise T-444E's is the equivalent of the 'Check engine' light on a car.. means the computer thinks a sensor is rogue... personally I like my 444E so far.. ion a smaller bus like that it seems plenty powerful.

beware of rust on any Ohio bus.. blue-birds like to rust esp on the roof rivets it seems.. that one being repainted before may not have issues..

id definitely give the bus a look! maybe offer them a little less like always with craigslist stuff
-Christopher
Always offer less from Craigslist. What rear gearing do you have in yours? And which transmission? You know my next question though, what kind of mileage do you get haha?