Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: NB18FD Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 18,500
92 Collins Shuttle bus

I have been on this site most of the winter. My bus went into storage not to long after I bought it. So not much was done and nothing worth posting a thread about. I pulled it out of storage today. So time to start a thread.

Yes I know pictures are needed. Here you go. If I can get them to upload. Its been a while sense I have done this.
Attached Thumbnails
D1.jpg   D2.jpg   D3.jpg   D4.jpg  

PhilipE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:20 PM   #2
Skoolie

Here are inside pic's.
Attached Thumbnails
D5.jpg   D6.jpg   D7.jpg   D8.jpg  
Old 03-31-2022, 02:28 PM   #3
Skoolie

Yes I bought one a little rough around the edges. But she has 126K on the ticker. The wiring harness is not a rats nest. No one has butchered anything from what I can tell. The reason for this bus! The wife said side by side seating. She did not want the chauffeured look riding in the back of the buss.

In my searching I only found three bus's with that option. For the prices and options out there this was the better of the three found.

This summer is devoted to a color change. That maroon and yellow has to go. BTW the yellow is on fiberglass panels.

If anyone knows of one of these in a junkyard. Please let me know.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
Skoolie

Sence I posted this not much has been done. Good old April weather either raining or to cold to do anything. So its been setting there eating up about 30% of the drive way.

I bet some of you have wondered why I have said all summer to do a color change. The front and rear caps are fiberglass. The body frame work and outside wall is aluminum. Being a 92 that makes the paint used is Imron, 9 chances out of 10. The body has paint peeling from the aluminum and bubbles in other spots. It has also had a respray somewhere during its life. Pretty sure that is a enamel paint. So in this case its better to start over from bare aluminum. The fiberglass caps have jell coat cracking issues. The fiberglass has some cracks in it. I have some mild heat damage on the front cap on the right corner. Thats why I am figuring all summer.
Old 04-18-2022, 02:53 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
all right i am new to working with fibreglass but i have to work with now on a shorty
you mentioned heat damage? from the sun or something else?
you also mentioned other issues like gel coat cracking and cracks in other spots?
would you post pics of each situation and lable them and did you have to sand off the paint coating to see some of it?
i have boat people around me that i might be able to reach out to but the only thing i really see is the sealants where it touches the metal body panels front and back.
the paint has lost its shine but not really the gloss and i can rub my hand on it with no fibres coming of and or sticking in my hand nor a cloth rag leaves fibres stuck to it.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
UV Rays cause most elastomers, other polymers, and proteins to degrade and damage to a point where they eventually need replacement or buttressing. But being amidst a bunch of boat people--who I'm assuming have some degree of familiarity and Devil's-cloth (fiberglass) expertise--sounds like a good place to be if you're worried about it.

The demands of the marine environment, and boating specifically, generally make boat people more scrutinizing in what is 'good enough', if you're willing to tolerate the only potential downside I see--which is spending too much and 'overbuilding', if such a thing is actually possible.

Raw heat also degrades most synthetic materials based on molecular chains, but not to the same degree.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #7
Bus Geek

thanks i see the effects on alot of older boats and am not above asking one i know.
just never dealt with it myself but not scared of learning and doing at all.
was just asking for pictures of what you were mentioning on yours for reference.
i know boaters but not to say that i hang out with or have friends that are boaters.
the only one i work with everyday has his own boat that all i here from him is he cant use his boat because he messed up his new gel coat and doesnt have enough good weather to fix it.
but i would probably ask him for advice than the other ones i know who look down there nose at you because you dont have the B break O out A another T thousand to meet them every weekend or on wednesday and thursday at the dockside bar during the day to hang out.
i said i know them didnt say i hang out.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:38 PM   #8
Bus Geek

and albatross.
the overbuilding part is not a problem.
my wife has complained at me for over 20 years and the extra money of overbuilding things and all she says is i am going to laugh at your cussing when you have to tear that apart,rebuild it or fix something?
so far nothing i have built has had to touched?
but now that i said it? something is going to break tomorrow?
AARGH
Old 04-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I was on submarines.

I am aware of the 'overbuilding' (lack-of) problem.

My feelings are largely the same, but I only added it because I have met some people who seem to think that way. Mostly 'modern' engineering types who have completely cucked to the bean-counters in administrations.

"Good enough" isn't quite good enough for me, in most cases, unless I've got a spare that takes ten minutes and four tools (or less) to replace. Which basically just limits that philosophy to something like batteries.
Old 04-18-2022, 03:49 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
my wife has complained at me for over 20 years and the extra money...
Do they ever stop?
She's probably just imagining some kind of extra vacation or something that could have happened with that money or something like that...
Old 04-18-2022, 04:09 PM   #11
Bus Geek

its always been her projects?
since the virus mess she has been a traveling lab tech. so now i get since months this time to finish the framing and mechanics without her here other than pictures and text messages back and forth but i know when she calls its about overbuild or shee wants to change something on her bus which is pretty much set in stone when she left on march 26.
now i get to do things my way and some of it with finish for solar and electrical area and move back to mechanics like A/C condensor relocate new compressor and fluid changes for the power train.
i know the power train is good but i still want a compression test on it and a full fluid hydro boost brake change because i am putting her car behind it on a trailer because she just bought an all wheel drive subaru that has to be trailered i can build one for a little cheaper than a new one but i cant replace the bus build time if i build a trailer.
what i want is to build the trailer i want for her with double brake axles that no one makes and wanted more like a ground load trailer or one that doesnt need ramps.
i can build my own idea of them but it wouldnt have a warranty or any of that if she is in alaska and has a problem with what i built at home?
so leaning towards buying one but it would void the warranty the second i added a second brake axle because it wasnt factory?
the mess in my head?
sorry if this got to long
Old 04-19-2022, 12:08 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
you mentioned heat damage? from the sun or something else?

you also mentioned other issues like gel coat cracking and cracks in other spots?

would you post pics of each situation and lable them and did you have to sand off the paint coating to see some of it?

i have boat people around me that i might be able to reach out to but the only thing i really see is the sealants where it touches the metal body panels front and back.
Answer to the first line.

The front of the bus was close enough to a dumpster fire to cause radiant heat damage and partial melt the right front turn signal lense.

Answer to second question.

The jell coat cracking is visible threw the coat of paint that is currently on the bus. I will get some better pictures. I hope they will show in them.

The fiberglass cracks are very plane and easy to see. The right rear wheel well trim is broken and off in the pictures I posted above. I do have the wheel well arch.

Answer to question three.

Actually the seams between the caps and the main body are covered with a aluminum trim piece with a rubber insert. Which most of the rubber is missing. Another thing to try and find if its still available.

I will get some better pictures. Keep your fingers crossed they turn out.

Guy's after a few decades. My wife just lets me do the builds all alone. She gets choice of paint and interior furnishings. I design and build.
Old 04-19-2022, 01:30 PM   #13
Skoolie

Here you Jolly

First pic is the right turn signal damage and delamed fiberglass from the heat damage.

The second pic is the damage on the front grille. Also heat damage.

The third pic is possible cracking or heat damage. I am not sure till it gets sanded off.

The fourth pic is more cracking or heat damage. Again not sure till sanded off. That is under right side front windshield.

Picture #5 This is a crack. Its in the right rear bumper recess.

Picture #6 In right side bumper recess below the crack. Looks like delam due to age/ weathering.

Picture #7 Crack in tag recess.

Picture #8 This is below left side small window in rear cap. More cracking not sure if glass or jell coat. Only sanding will tell. That I am not to worried about. Both of the small windows in the rear cap are being deleted. I haven't decided on the large rear window.
Attached Thumbnails
D9.jpg   DSC_0010.jpg   d12.jpg   d13.jpg   d15.jpg  

d16.jpg   d17.jpg  
Old 04-20-2022, 11:27 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
i can build my own idea of them but it wouldnt have a warranty or any of that if she is in alaska and has a problem with what i built at home?
so leaning towards buying one but it would void the warranty the second i added a second brake axle because it wasnt factory?
the mess in my head?
You're overthinking it. All there is on a trailer to break is the hitch, the wheels/tires, the wheel bearings or the brakes. Aside from that it's a huge chunk of steel. It's highly unlikely that she will have an issue with it so long as you get to work on it from time to time. If she does have a problem on the road, brakes and bearings aren't an expensive fix at a shop, nor are tires for a car hauler. And, if you want to buy a trailer, you can order one with brakes on both sets of wheels. No trailer sales shop is going to turn you away for wanting to give them more money.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 11:08 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
the mess in my head?
Like Veloc said. You are over thinking that trailer. Unless you are buying a high end trailer. You might get a 6 month warranty. If the dealer will stand behind it is another question. Will the warranty be honored at another trailer sales place? Don't bet on it. Remember if you not buying a high end national known trailer. If your looking at the angle iron trailers. Don't even think about a warranty.

Buy it bring it home. Pull all wheels and regrease the bearings. ( Dexter puts very little grease in the wheel bearing). Go under the trailer and remove the scotch locks used in the wiring. Load up and run with it.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:41 AM   #16
Skoolie

It has finally warmed up. Last week was spent running around MI.

Yesterday was spent grinding out cracks in the front cap.
Attached Thumbnails
d18.jpg   d19.jpg  
Old 05-17-2022, 09:37 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I just saw your thread. I searched for other threads by you that might have introduced the bus but there was only one other about paneling.

It's a very cool bus but I'm not familiar with the Collins brand. I did a Google search and only got hits to this site/thread. Can you provide more information about what you have, I'm curious. Who makes it? What is the mechanical platform. Is it domestic or imported?
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #18
Skoolie

OY all I can tell you is what little info I have found. It is built by Collins. Talking to the local Collins dealer parts guys. The badging is correct for that year range of Collins. In the time period it was made Collins was acquiring quite a few of the smaller companies that were making bus's. The parts guys think it was made by one of the branch companies. The Collins ID plate is missing so I can't get any other info or parts from Collins. The two parts guy's I talked to had 60 years of Collins experience between them. They had never seen a picture of one like this. So I might have the only one left semi alive.

I know who the first two owners were. No help there. I know the dealership that sold it. No help there.

Chassis is a NB-FD Oshkosh. This chasis was used in a lot of motor homes also.
18.500 GVW

Engine is a 5.9 Cummins. P-pump injection.

Trans is a Allison AT545

Main body frame work is alum square tubing. The outer side walls are alumiun sheeting. Steel belly pan with plywood on top of it. Front and rear caps are fiberglass.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:11 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Have you had a look under that plywood flooring. When I pulled mine out I got a rusty surprise?
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:29 PM   #20
Bus Geek

my 04 collins bus.
nothing like the OP?
but under my flooring i found rust corrugated tin that i wasnt able to match up the pattern to buy new panels to make patches.
but mine is a collins midbus guide.
i read up a few years ago and decided there history is good to read but doesnt really matter because its what i purchased and am committed to at this point and ran with it.
good luck