Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Sturdibus
Chassis: GMC 3500
Engine: 5.7L V8
Rated Cap: 12
92 Sturdibus shortie

Just bought my third skoolie.....a 1992 GMC 3500 Sturdibus. It's supposed to have a new crate motor installed by previous bus company.....certainly runs like it. Need typical attention to the body....crusty here and there on the bottom. I intend to convert it into a mini camper. My plan is to wall off from the rear door to the start of the second window from the rear....making about a 7ft wide by 3 ft deep storage area separated from the passenger area for tools, grill, baby strollers, etc. I'm going to end this wall at the curve of the roof so I can have a little flat storage shelf at the top plus the storage area doesn't need to be standing height. A 110V home A/C unit will poke thru the back wall of the bus above the storage shelf.
I'm leaving the front two skoolie seats for passenger seating. The remaining four feet of passenger area between my wall and the seats will have cabinets, a small fridge, a counter and a TV on the driver's side. The passenger side will have a pedestal table with seating on either side. Against the back wall length wise I plan on a futon for sitting or occasional napping.
This is mainly a day camper for long hot days at the racetrack or amusement park....gives us a cool, dry place to rest and eat out of the sun. My recent bout with melanoma has made me weary of standing outside all day in the sun. The most shade I've had in the past is a folding canopy....shady but not really cool on an August day. Even the smallest home A/C unit should turn my little skoolie into a meat locker.
Pics coming soon !!!!

cnitrofumes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Re: 92 Sturdibus shortie

Well....I removed all but 2 of the bus seats and the floor was spongy in areas so I removed the rubber and plywood up to the remaining rear seats. There is some spots of rot around the wheel tubs and in the rear door area. Nothing structural, mostly just sheetmetal flooring. "Frame" where suspension mounts is sound. I'm going to cut out the bad stuff and weld in patches to sure it all back up. This New England weather with the winter salt is not kind to metal.
I'm starting to work on a floor plan and should have that and some rebuild pics up soon.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Got bus painted finally....well almost. Been so cold and rainy here on the eastcoast it was hard to find a day to do it.
I made and welded in a receiver hitch for the rear. Patched in the rusty spots on the floor. My next project is the rear door....it's just about rotted off the hinge. As part off the hitch build I welded in a piece of 4x4x1/4" angle across the bottom of the rear door opening. This will serve as the hinge point for my new fold down ramp door. I figure a ramp will be more useable for loading tools ands supplies in the rear storage area. We are using this as a day camper so when we are at the races or a bike swap meet we have a cool place to retreat to and rest. I don't plan on bathroom facilities just a fridge, AC, heater, small bed, table and chairs, storage cabinets, TV......enough to make the day smoother. Most places we go have facilities so that's not an issue.
Hopefully I can get the floor done and carpeted soon so I can work on the inside.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Hey I like it & good ideas for the layout so far! paint looks great!

I wonder... Has anyone raised the roof on a shortie??? You could make it as high as it is long...
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Paint is Ace Hardware Rust Stop enamel OSHA Safety Blue. Rolled the roof with straight paint and thinned with mineral spirits to shoot the body. Kind of a semi-gloss but it's all one color !!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

I had a blue skoolie back in the day - early 90's...rolled the paint on it! Somehow I keep ending up with blue busses!

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I'm making progress....floors are one piece again....combo of sheetmetal and fiberglass....layed done some sheathing this afternoon.....now just where to start with floor plan.
I scored a 8000 btu stand-up AC unit and a 12V TV and VCR for a total of $110.00 today !!!!
AC unit is brand new with a remote !!! I was going to buy a Walmart 5000 btu window unit for $110 but decided to cruise Craigslist for something used first. Glad I did !!! The stand-up units sell for $300 +.....I'm betting this one was over $400 new.
I headed out to click a few pics but digital camera needs a charge...maybe later.
I'm going to run dryer vent hose up through the roof where the bus lights are to vent AC unit.
The TV and VCR are going up on the pass side above the windshield so Jr. can watch TV instead of Daddy making funny faces to keep him amused.
Got some real cool fabric....blue with choppers for side window curtains.
Even through a tuneup at the old girl today....the cap, rotor and plugs were so worn I don't know how it ran !!!
Getting ready for a 16 hour round trip out to Lancaster, NY and back.....got to make sure she's roadworthy.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I'm pretty 80's with my Radio Shack radio and box speakers and my AudioVox TV and VCR !!!
I see they make 12volt digital converters for receiving TV stations with an antenna.....hope someone on Craigslist has one they don't use....$125+ new !!!!!
Don't know about this standup AC.....I might have to insulate the hot air piping......seems to almost negate the cooling effects !!!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well....after reading some real negative press about these over-rated portable AC units I decided to to bite the bullet and install a 12,000 btu GE HUMONGOUS window unit into the rear door of the bus. I had it sitting in storage and decided it would be better in the bus than just sitting. The stand-up jobbie was cool with a remote and digital display but the GE CRANKS !!!!
I put it on full blast for about a half an hour and the bus was iced over on the outside of the windows.
I went in and turned it back to "4"......only runs about 30 minutes out of an hour with bus closed up and it's very comfortable.
Now on to the fridge ......