Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2021, 07:32 PM   #1

Year: 1998
Chassis: Ford e350
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke
'98 Ford E350 Econoline - Turning the rear AC to completely solar powered

I am starting my conversion on a 26 ft shuttle bus. I plan on doing more camping than driving, so I want my rear AC (See attached pics for reference) to run from solar or on grid plug-in.

Any recommendations on the best way to do this?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0035.jpg   IMG_0042.jpg  

Jake&Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/p...a-c-36391.html

This similar thread from earlier today might be of interest.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I would personally leave that for driving/motor on situations and just get a portable a/c or window unit thats seperate.

I would1l 100% just build my own LIPO batteries the alibaba way when i get there. (Last). With a small unit under 10ah i figured you could get about 18 hrs off 240 ah LIPO battery with no input. 2 of those batteries would be even better and 400w of solar panels would be my ideal minimal setup.
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:09 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Motor AC is for when the motor is running because the compressor for the AC is attached to the motor. Probably what Ross's link was about.

Yes, you can run a separate AC off batteries/solar. You just have to do the math, set up the right amount of panels, batteries, etc., and you're cool.

The other option is to use a nice quiet inverter generator to run the AC and charge your batteries. In general, generators can be run during the late morning to early evening, when it's the hottest, so that shouldn't be an issue.

By using the generator to run the AC, and charge the batteries, you'll have full batteries during the non-generator time to continue to keep you cool.

Options are good.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:13 AM   #5

Year: 1998
Chassis: Ford e350
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Motor AC is for when the motor is running because the compressor for the AC is attached to the motor. Probably what Ross's link was about.

Yes, you can run a separate AC off batteries/solar. You just have to do the math, set up the right amount of panels, batteries, etc., and you're cool.

The other option is to use a nice quiet inverter generator to run the AC and charge your batteries. In general, generators can be run during the late morning to early evening, when it's the hottest, so that shouldn't be an issue.

By using the generator to run the AC, and charge the batteries, you'll have full batteries during the non-generator time to continue to keep you cool.

Options are good.
It sounds like there are a lot of options, and keeping the current ac / adding a small solar powered ac would be the ideal route. Thanks for the input!
Jake&Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote