When I first built my bus, I came across rusted out wheelwells.
The 2-3" gap between the Ford wheel arches + the Champion box was filled--with spray foam.
I'm sure it worked fine for years-but after a while it stays wet-and rusts everything out. I was able to chisel everything out and make a patch from the inside to seal things from the floor up-so I could start on the interior. I had this roll of plastic-pretty sure it was the sides to an above ground pool-nice thick stuff. I made a inner liner for the underside of the well-it worked awsome.
I'll get to the underneath when I can...
has it really been 8 years?
Originally the metal from the floor down was thin-maybe 22 gauge-backed by spray foam. Heres a chunk.
The lower piece slides under one above-with screws in the rub rail holding it all together.
This is what was left to a piece of 1 1/2"x 2" tube that was at the back of the wheelwell-that the mudflap attaches to.
I made the new piece out of 18 gauge.
There is all kinds of open space between the frame + the outer body. I always wanted to make some underbody storage. Now was the time. So I bent up a box.
Its 22"x 28"x8"
I bought a door on ebay from an overstock camper place-for $8.00!
Its got 2 3/8" hangers on the back-and the box as a 1" lip catching the frame on the top-and new side piece all the way around. Its plenty solid.
I brushed Ace hardware Rust stop paint on plenty thick. I plan on wrapping the bus so I wasn't worried about looks.
I'll get more pics when I finish up tomorrow.