Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

A/C ideas?

Hello!
So, as a quick update on my little Skoolie, I have completed demo and I am beginning to start the reconstruction process! The slowest part so far has been waterproofing and filling in all the screw holes in the floor of the bus.
But my real question is: what are you guys doing for air conditioning? I have a fan that will help circulate the air, and i'll be insulating the bus as best I can, and I will have all the windows covered during the days, but I will need another active system to help keep my skoolie cool. I work full time during the day, and my little yorkie, Finn, stays home during the day because my boss says no dogs (lame, right?). I live in the South east US and we have a lot of humidity so a swamp cooler doesn't do very well to cool the entire space. I've seen Split Mini A/C units installed, but I don't know how those do with solar systems, and I've also seen the camper roof mounted A/C systems. Which do you think would be better? I'll be off grid so I'm running off of batteries and I don't want my batteries to be depleted every day by the time I get home. It gets into the 100s here some times and that will definitely deserve something more than passive systems to keep it cool. Any help or information y'all can give me I will appreciate and so will Finn!
Thank you!
Andrea J

andie38290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Bus Nut

You need a pretty hefty solar system to power an air conditioner. There seem to be two main difficulties with them - the first is that when the compressor initially turns on, it draws a HUGE amount of power. (Almost all electric motors do, and the spike only lasts for a second or so - but it's enough to trip breakers/overload the generator.) The compressor in the AC just happens to be a relatively large one for a portable device.) You need an inverter or a generator that can handle that initial power spike. The second problem is just that air conditioners draw a lot of power after that - they just need a lot of energy.

There are a few people on here planning on battery-only/solar air conditioners who can probably provide more information, but right now, it's not very easy (or cheap) to do.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6.6 New Holland Diesel
Rated Cap: 60 kids, 10 window
Well, it's fairly easy to do, it's just not cheap to do.

I have 1400 watts of panels (4x350 watt panels) and 800 ah of batteries (4x12 volt, 200 ah in parallel). My mini-split will run all day and charge the batteries to a float charge, when it's sunny. I have a 12000 btu (120 volt) mini-split from HD (Climate Right).

I also have spray foam insulation and RV windows instead of bus windows so ymmv.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Since the other options have already been depleted, how about giving Finn a Brazilian..?
Old 05-13-2019, 02:50 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Since the other options have already been depleted, how about giving Finn a Brazilian..?
Finn may not appreciate the Brazilian but a personal A/C may do the trick.

Seriously, the whole bus does not have to be on A/C while you are at work ... only the small area that Finn will be. You could get a very small A/C to keep a small area cool and use up far less power (batteries) to do so.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
Bus Nut

I saw a site selling electric appliances with motors that did not spike. I cant remember where but I know it is there.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Thanks

Thank you all for your help! While Finn is shaved with very very short hair, he still would appreciate not living in a 100+ degree home, and I did consider a personal A/C for him. I actually have a small Arctic Air swamp cooler that I think is working pretty well so far, if I keep his crate covered while he's in it with the swamp cooler blowing on him, at least he will be kept cool. But I don't see that as a permanent solution, partly because I don't have a lot of space to keep his crate up all the time, and also, I like to be kept cool too. So I will be doing more research into looking for motors that don't draw as much power and seeing if I can upgrade my solar panels later on or finding a more efficient a/c system. But I appreciate all the advice and it has given me something to look more in to! Finn and I appreciate it!
andie38290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:09 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Dependant on your locale, I would have some concerns about piling on the humidity, with eventual resultant condensation, in an iron structure.
Rust never sleeps, and it's never your pal...
Old 05-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #9
Bus Nut

I wonder if there's a way to make a chill pad for Finn - like radiant heating, but in reverse. Something cool he could lay on to chill out. (I'm not sure that a fan would help because dogs don't really "sweat".)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
I wonder if there's a way to make a chill pad for Finn - like radiant heating, but in reverse. Something cool he could lay on to chill out. (I'm not sure that a fan would help because dogs don't really "sweat".)
this is a cooling pad

https://www.amazon.ca/LinenSpa-Insta...69863832&psc=1
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post

Was going to say your little yorkie should fit in one of those cheap12 pack cigarette lighter hookup thermoelectric coolers,fab one to be a doghouse with a doggie door throw it under a cabinet. Gives him somewere to stay cool.

Have to ask...no way to get shore power? You Can pay you neighbor some extra $$ for using their power and you can run a small ac, best most reliable way and peace of mind.
Bpjr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Sadly, I'm in between dawgs ATM. Knowing that I'll be getting another Australian Shepherd eventually (Which will be my self-reward, once I complete my overhead storage and electrical install), I kept my crate, which is a wire collapsible for a large dog. Currently employed as outdoors storage and table.
Anyhoo, I don't know about power spikage, but have you investigated those in-room A/C units?
They're not miniscule, not monstrous either. Thermostated, rollable, with the heat exhaust ducted to the exterior.
Can you put up a soft partition, i.e. blanket curtain, to isolate a small section to receive cooling, without keeping the entire interior's climate controlled? Should ought reduce run time.
Of course, a well insulated floor, even if no more than a ply or few of carpeting, will help keep the cold from draining so quickly thru the floor.
As someone commented, dogs don't sweat. True 'nuff, but their core temp is higher than a humans, so the fan does help, displacing the heat as Finn radiates it out.
Final thought was rigging a pooch pad that could be wetted down & laid in front of the fan. Similar to the swamp cooler concept, except he'd benefit from "sweating," being in contact with the moist mattress and fan's flow.
Good luck! Excessive heat is a bitch for dogs...
Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Mini split is most power friendly. No spike in loading.

Design so evaporator unit can serve a small area during the day to increase efficiency while keeping the pooch cool, then fan/ventilate once larger areas need AC.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:55 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Description
The Gen7Pets Cool-Air Pad. Ideal comfortable outdoor resting for your pets.

Designed for an outdoor lifestyle, the Cool-Air Pad disperses water and air. The venting mesh sides allow air to flow through and the unique Cool-Core insert keeps your pet comfortable, while also allowing any water to drain right through. Use it on the deck or patio, around the pool, on vacation, in the home, or just about anywhere! Leave it outside or keep moving it from one spot to another, wherever you go.

Available in 4 sizes: Small, Medium, Large or Extra-Large.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/gen7pet...SABEgJ_BvD_BwE
Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Best Cooling Pads for Dogs - My Pet Needs That

https://www.mypetneedsthat.com › Dogs › Accessories
Old 05-22-2019, 04:29 PM   #16
Bus Nut

I thought I read somewhere that you can design your a/c electrical setup so it has “soft start” (i.e. won’t have that huge power draw on startup). Also super insulate the vehicle. Unless you can guarantee you can keep the vehicle cool all day while you’re gone you run the risk of seriously harming or killing the dog from overheating. You look into doggie daycare during the hot months?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:44 PM   #17
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 (3904 RE)
Engine: Cummins 8.3TA
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
I thought I read somewhere that you can design your a/c electrical setup so it has “soft start” (i.e. won’t have that huge power draw on startup). Also super insulate the vehicle. Unless you can guarantee you can keep the vehicle cool all day while you’re gone you run the risk of seriously harming or killing the dog from overheating. You look into doggie daycare during the hot months?
A decent mini-split will have a soft start, variable-speed compressor and will be much more solar friendly. A rooftop RV AC unit is easier to install, but will take more power and usually doesn't come with a soft-start capacitor. Those are add-ons but can be well worth it if you go that route.

Since you're in the south, I do not recommend an evaporative cooler. They do not help much in the usual southern humidity. They also struggle when the outside temps reach triple digits. Also a compressor-run AC will strip moisture from the air (make sure to account for the water run-off), while an evaporator will add it.
synestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #18

https://www.microair.net/products/ea...r-conditioners

I was looking at this thing as an option..

This wouldn’t be necessary for mini-split I suppose but it expands the electrical options... kinda expensive as an accessory to an already expensive device but the extra inverted capacity or generator power may cost more than this add-on.
Puskara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:37 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by andie38290 View Post
Hello!
So, as a quick update on my little Skoolie, I have completed demo and I am beginning to start the reconstruction process! The slowest part so far has been waterproofing and filling in all the screw holes in the floor of the bus.
But my real question is: what are you guys doing for air conditioning? I have a fan that will help circulate the air, and i'll be insulating the bus as best I can, and I will have all the windows covered during the days, but I will need another active system to help keep my skoolie cool. I work full time during the day, and my little yorkie, Finn, stays home during the day because my boss says no dogs (lame, right?). I live in the South east US and we have a lot of humidity so a swamp cooler doesn't do very well to cool the entire space. I've seen Split Mini A/C units installed, but I don't know how those do with solar systems, and I've also seen the camper roof mounted A/C systems. Which do you think would be better? I'll be off grid so I'm running off of batteries and I don't want my batteries to be depleted every day by the time I get home. It gets into the 100s here some times and that will definitely deserve something more than passive systems to keep it cool. Any help or information y'all can give me I will appreciate and so will Finn!
Thank you!
Andrea J
Some have mentioned a mini-split, I just bought one of the Pioneer ones that has an inverter built-in. They have a soft start that is easier on batteries.
RoadsideJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #20

Doggy daycare
ljean is offline   Reply With Quote