Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E
Am I good cut into part of the rear bumper??

Heyyy folks, I've been working on my 6-window short bus conversion since January 2019, I took a break from working on it and lived in it off and on from June-December, since then I've lived in it while finishing it up before my lease is up next December

I just installed this cargo rack beneath the back end of the bus, and I'm looking to cut the access doors. I will cut one door into the left side of the bus, and I'm planning to cut the other out by removing the middle section of the bus bumper, in between the two sets of bolts holding the bumper to the frame. The bumper is probably 3/8" thick, and attached to the frame in several spots. My thought is that cutting the middle section out for a door won't significantly affect the strength of it.

What do you think?

Mat_te_chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:36 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Not sure what it is exactly that you're trying to do with that newly fabbed grid underneath the rear? Is it going to pull out from underneath the frame to provide a sort of built in storage rack?

Don't know how WA. is on state vehicle safety inspections, but modifying a bumper is typically frowned upon.
Might be best to check, before you end up looking for another "stock" bumper after you've modified your original and now it won't pass the mandatory state inspection...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote