Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Any clue what Hitches would fit an El Dorado THOR bus?

I don't have the exact model series but I believe that the shuttle is either an Aerolite or Aerotech series El Dorado by Thor (1996).
I assume that the rails are usually a standard distance apart but unsure if they have any existing holes for hitches or if they'd need to be welded on (or somehow drop fit becuase of bumpers etc...

Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks.

wirelessguyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Any clue what Hitches would fit an El Dorado THOR bus?

Are you towing the bus or towing WITH the bus? We just welded an short piece of 2" square receiver tubing to our bus along with a "U" shaped metal plate. We tow our 5500lb Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 "four down" with it (no tow dolly so we can't back up). We have a long drop receiver ball because the bus is so much higher than our Jeep.

The tow bar on the Jeep is a Stowmaster 5000 (one person hookup and you don't have to be aligned up perfectly, just get close... wonderful!) with hidden brackets. I bought both from two separate sellers off of Hitch Trader "for sale" section. I do love those self-aligning tow bars. Took me several months to get the tow bar and the correct brackets for my Jeep at the price I had budgeted. I never remove my tow bar, It stays folded up on the Jeep all the time.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Plan was to tow WITH the bus. Wanted to pick it up with my SUV and then tow dolly the SUV home if possible.
Someone said that they thought an Ford E series hitch might work but I wasn't sure if Thor (or other vendors extend the rails out on their own.
Since I wanted to try and do it all in a day I was hoping to avoid any welding. At worst I think I could bring a good drill and try to create mounting holes and get it installed.
(I know that many local U-Haul places will install as well.)

I was expecting to have to lower the ball as well.

Thanks.
wirelessguyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

I have a goshen and i got a for E-series class 4 hitch. you do have to drill some holes to attach the hitch with though. its the same frame, just longer.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #5

Year: 2005

hey I really scared by drill machine !!! :@