Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Skoolie

ANybody do a king bed / futon in a shorty?

Considering ideas for a layout of a potential skoolie, looking for a short bus, so I will need to maximize space usage. My wife and I, me in particular are big people, and need a king bed. I was thinkng about some sort of futon arrangement that would convert to a king bed.... Anyone doing anything like this in a skoolie that can give me tips on how to pull it off?

dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
We used a futon but went with a Full. We were going to use a queen but it just took too much space. A king would have been a non-starter for us. Not all short buses are equal, ors gives us about 14 ft of floor behind the seat we left in, so that space is really at a premium!

If I had to fit a king size I would put it against the back wall and just give up on having a useable back door. Shorties are exercises in compromise for sure!
Old 02-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I've never seen a King size futon advertised anywhere. A king size bed will fill the width within a couple of inches.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Skoolie

I figure built, not bought, and eliminating use of the back door...
Old 02-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Or you could use a set of twin beds that you can push together at night and still open up the bowling alley down the middle during the day. Your wife will hate that though because she'd need a bunch of twin sheets.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
I figure built, not bought, and eliminating use of the back door...
Here's my plan, bunks on both sides just inside the inside back door. One of the lower bunks will have a slide out section to meet the opposite bunk so you can have a full width back bed, but still have use of the door when not sleeping. Just need to figure out the proper cushion/mattress set up. Both lower bunks would have double drawers in them also.
Attached Thumbnails
bunkbeds.jpg  
Attached Images

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Or you could use a set of twin beds that you can push together at night and still open up the bowling alley down the middle during the day. Your wife will hate that though because she'd need a bunch of twin sheets.
Actually King sheets are a pain in the butt to launder and I would think twins would be at least for the fitted sheets less problematic.

The problem would be picking up the fitted sheets separate from the flat sheets but I like the idea. Sort of a opposing convertible sofa set up I'm guessing? I think if I'm hearing you right kind of like the setup that they are doing in Sprinter vans I think it's Roadtrek that's doing them. Probably not a bad idea. As long as they're not too close to each other we could use a slide in table and set it up like a Dinette

The idea is maximum function in the space allowed while still having the features we want.

And that's going to be a heck of a trick I'm not sure how we're going to pull it off the right bus is going to have to present itself because we want a decent kitchen a king bed a dining area it is not going to be too cramped space wise for a big guy like me and an indoor bathroom with shower. I know that's an awful lot to ask especially since I need things to be roomy so I can use them.

I've seen one rig where the Builder basically converted the stairwell into a shower enclosure and had a one of those 5 gallon toilets under a effectively passenger seat. You're just sort of flip up the seat and there's the toilet and then pull a curtain around to enclose the shower area and do your thing.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I can tell you this. You're not looking for a short bus with all the things and open space you're talking about having. Even two twin beds would just leave enough room for your knees to slip between the beds when walking through.

I had a wife that spread out over the king bed like an octopus. Twin beds were welcome. Less disturbance at night. We did have a bit more than 6" between our twins and still managed several more children.

You seem to be looking for a long bus. My bus, for instance, is a 26' long FE. I don't think this medium size bus is big enough for all the things you want to include. You're talking about a 35 or 40' bus. In that case it's just a choice of FE or RE? You already know you want a big engine and a strong transmission with lockers and overdrive.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
My original idea was a futon until I found one and got to see how cheap they were made so I made my own style.
Don't have good pics of it but I will post a pic and then explain the pic.
In the photo the sofa on the right. The footrest opens up like a recliner which also gives us storage underneath and then the footrest and seat slide out together all the way to the loveseat on the left and the backrest drops down flat to fill in the rest of the mattress.
My frame is built out of schedule 40 steel pipe,1/4" angle and 1/4"flat bar for the locking arms.
If any one wants actual working pics let me I know I will take them this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
My original idea was a futon until I found one and got to see how cheap they were made so I made my own style.
Don't have good pics of it but I will post a pic and then explain the pic.
In the photo the sofa on the right. The footrest opens up like a recliner which also gives us storage underneath and then the footrest and seat slide out together all the way to the loveseat on the left and the backrest drops down flat to fill in the rest of the mattress.
My frame is built out of schedule 40 steel pipe,1/4" angle and 1/4"flat bar for the locking arms.
If any one wants actual working pics let me I know I will take them this weekend.
I am definately interested to know. That looks like what I am trying to accomplish, more or less...
Old 02-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
I will get better actual working pics this weekend.
I am computer challenged so I might end up adding them to my album.
Post one at a time?
Or have my wife use her camera and ask for an e-mail to send them to you.
But I will get them to you and I have already promised them to another SKOOLIE and haven't done it yet.
PM me an e-mail cause the other SKOOLIE wants them in e-mail.
So will probably do the album add eventually and send the working parts pic's to you directly.
It's my design and still has a few pieces to work out but that is after at least 6-years of seasonal use.
And I can and will explain as needed. Or PM me a phone number and we can play the text game with pics or call's.
Have fun
Be safe.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I can tell you this. You're not looking for a short bus with all the things and open space you're talking about having. Even two twin beds would just leave enough room for your knees to slip between the beds when walking through.

I had a wife that spread out over the king bed like an octopus. Twin beds were welcome. Less disturbance at night. We did have a bit more than 6" between our twins and still managed several more children.

You seem to be looking for a long bus. My bus, for instance, is a 26' long FE. I don't think this medium size bus is big enough for all the things you want to include. You're talking about a 35 or 40' bus. In that case it's just a choice of FE or RE? You already know you want a big engine and a strong transmission with lockers and overdrive.
Well, given that we have looked at (and rejected due to low build quality, and HIGH cost several Class C RVs under 30 that have the desired features, admittedly with a super slide, but still. I figure with eliminating the need to walk around the bed, we should be able to with decent design, get everything we want into a 30' Skoolie without too much hassle...

Heck a 21 foot RoadTrek fits the bill but would be a bit more snug than I prefer...

I am not planning on extra couches, or separate dining table etc... Just bed / storage in the back that can fold up . couble as dining area seating, small but usable kitchen, and a bathroom....

Like I said, not allergic to the concept of showering in the entry stairs if I can figure out how to make that work and not rust the bus out...