Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Anyone have a Starcraft C5500?

I'm working on a new party bus, and I need to replace the cheap head unit that it came with. But I can not find any definitive information on what will actually fit (including available modifications), and more importantly what wiring quirks there are. I have not pulled the dash apart yet.

It is a 2004 C5500 Kodiak chassis with a 28 passenger Starcraft body.

The current head unit is single DIN, in a dash kit which fills the 1.5 DIN space with the small pocket underneath. If it comes down to it, I will just reuse that with a single DIN. However there is a small blanked off section underneath (above the HVAC controls), and I am seeing conflicting information on whether I can just cut that separator out and remove the blank plate to fit a double DIN unit in there. Most of the sites only offer a C5500 pickup as a choice for accessories, and they say that a double DIN is stock so that's wrong. I'm not sure if the dash is the same to the pickup and it was just a different trim plate or what.

I also can't find any real information on the wiring harnesses. 95% of the results for radio wiring are those stupid scam diagram pages hosted on hacked websites in italy and brazil. And like the dash kit selectors, the adapter harness selectors only offer the pickup as an option. The E450s I did were easy because it's standard lol.

I have seen here and there that the factory dash alert dings play through the radio, and a special harness is required, but I don't know if that is only for the pickup chassis or if it includes the bus chassis. I did not pay attention to whether there were sounds when I went to look at it last week, so I don't even know if what's in there is done right.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Taz420 is offline   Reply With Quote