Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Anyone spray insulate their roof and walls?

I've got a five window short bus that I'm gutting for a conversion. I've not seen this discussed and was curious about other people's experiences. Has anyone spray foamed a bus this size? I'm trying to figure out how large of a kit I would need to get (looking at this one). Does anyone have any experience in this arena?

weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have not spray foamed a bus that small but I did have my last (40') bus spray foamed.

Regarding the kit you mentioned, it should cover approximately 650 square feet if applied one inch thick. Or 325 square feet if applied two inches thick.

Take the the length x height (or width if floor or ceiling) x thickness that you want. Use feet for length and height and use inches for thickness.

That will give you the number of "board feet" you need. This is a 650bf kit.

Example:

A wall is 7' tall and 12' long and I want 2" of insulation. 7x12x2=168 board feet.

Figure that out for each surface and add them up. I would guess that you may get somewhere between 1"-2" in a typical short bus with that kit. Better to do the math than guess though.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by weboughtabus View Post
I've got a five window short bus that I'm gutting for a conversion. I've not seen this discussed and was curious about other people's experiences. Has anyone spray foamed a bus this size? I'm trying to figure out how large of a kit I would need to get (looking at this one). Does anyone have any experience in this arena?
Search in the posts because people have definitely discussed this. Some do rigid floor and walls and spray ceiling. Some do rigid everywhere and then finish up with spray to do the bits you can't cut rigid for and to cover all the seams etc.

If you get a really good quote for someone else to do all the spray for you and the trimming- closed cell, two part, take it! Apparently the trimming afterward can take way longer than the spraying. Someone in Florida got an awesome deal and the guy trimmed it for him. Apparently it needs to be hot to puff up well, so make sure to plan your build accordingly. Read the directions in terms of temperature humidity etc before buying the kit. Someone got only 1" out of what should have been 2" and he was NOT a happy camper.

Where I live there may only be a few nights in the summer where it will be above 50 degrees for the low, and this means that almost all driveway sealers are not a good choice for me. I'm expecting the same with the spray foam. The difference is that I can drive my bus to somewhere warmer to spray foam it, but my driveway ain't going anywhere. In fact, if I organize it well, I can get my driveway done while my bus is off the mountain and getting spray-foamed this summer. My driveway is way over due for sealing. I'm a big believer in following the directions on products!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Directions are only suggestions! Sort of.

I had a nightmare spray foam installation that took two weeks to trim. I have 5 ea. 45 gallon trash bags full of foam trimmings. Way to much foam. Couldn't even see the ribs until several inches were carved off. Deep insulation sounds good unless there are stalagmites hanging down from the ceiling.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Directions are only suggestions! Sort of.

I had a nightmare spray foam installation that took two weeks to trim. I have 5 ea. 45 gallon trash bags full of foam trimmings. Way to much foam. Couldn't even see the ribs until several inches were carved off. Deep insulation sounds good unless there are stalagmites hanging down from the ceiling.
Hahaha that does not sound like fun! I actually watched a few YouTube videos of professional spray installers to figure out the technique. It seems several thin passes does a better job of filling the space, controlling heat and minimizing excess.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I wanted to drive back to where I got the spray foam and kick that guy's hiny. This was a foundation insulating foam designed to be buried. It's like sawing through wood while trimming it. On the other hand this foam is working better than I had imagined.

Yeah, this guy sprayed like he had no experience whatsoever. I'm very happy with the quality of the product, but I'll never use that guy for insulation again.