Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #301
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
I can't see how there's any more chance of leaking then other techniques. Hardly worth getting too excited about, either way.
You have a gasket top and bottom whereas a "normal" valve cover only has one gasket hence double the chance.

It's not like you can nor would redesign the engine anyway. I'm not a fan of the little 4 cylinder engines with the spark plugs thru the top of the valve cover either. Usually have to have a 37 foot extension to get it. If you ever break a plug off in there, you are DONE!! Not that breaking a plug happens often nor is ever a joy but still. Threaded and thru the side of the block thank you. Connectors don't belong anywhere near heat sources.

I should check mine. Did Rock Auto have your bus listed as a vehicle option? Pretty sure I checked for B.B. and they didn't have it. Autozone or Advance Auto did tho.

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #302
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
You have a gasket top and bottom whereas a "normal" valve cover only has one gasket hence double the chance.
I do see your point. Regardless, leaking hasn't been an issue.

Quote:
It's not like you can nor would redesign the engine anyway. I'm not a fan of the little 4 cylinder engines with the spark plugs thru the top of the valve cover either. Usually have to have a 37 foot extension to get it.
Truth. Had some engine trouble in my little Kia Rio some time back and had to buy an overpriced extension at a rural hardware store to get at those plugs. I brought the socket set, but couldn't get into the depths of the valve cover with what I had.

Quote:
If you ever break a plug off in there, you are DONE!! Not that breaking a plug happens often nor is ever a joy but still.
If it ever happens in the Kia I'll tip the car over and give it a shake to get the pieces out

Quote:
I should check mine. Did Rock Auto have your bus listed as a vehicle option? Pretty sure I checked for B.B. and they didn't have it. Autozone or Advance Auto did tho.
Rockauto has my bus listed, but I had to go over to a F350 with a pre '97 Power Stroke to get a valve cover gasket. It cross-references fine, so I don't know why Rockauto didn't have it listed. Not the first time this has happened with the ol' bus.

I would doubt that Rockauto has your bus, but they might have a listing for a dump truck with the same engine?
Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #303
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
If it ever happens in the Kia I'll tip the car over and give it a shake to get the pieces out
You've never had the pleasure of a stripped plug then. The pieces are easy to deal with. I had an engine (rotary) that got hot enough that the plugged "welded" itself in place. Decided to drill it before using a 6 foot pipe and messing up the threads. A glass drill bit to get thru the ceramic then a metal bit for the rest. Ended up off center. Engine was toast so replaced it. Turns out half the water passages were blocked with "concrete". Previous owner must have used some form of stop leak. Stuff was hard as hell and didn't want to come out even with the engine apart. Rotary engines are stacked like a sammich and the passages are easy to get at once dissembled. Still couldn't get whatever it was out of there.

Imagine trying to drill a plug out of the Rio.

Quote:
I would doubt that Rockauto has your bus, but they might have a listing for a dump truck with the same engine?
Almost certainly only problem is I've no fricking clue what else uses the 8.3L I have. Common as hell but I don't know squat about dump/fire trucks. I don't the the 8.3L Cumins was ever in a Dodge dually or anything like the Fords.
Old 05-08-2018, 09:07 AM   #304
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Imagine trying to drill a plug out of the Rio.
Yeah, that would suck. I was thinking "broken" as in the ceramic top was snapped off.. Which I've had happen before. I've also had spark plugs blow right out and ruin the threads, but that's an easy enough fix.

If a plug ever welded into the head of the Kia I'd either scrap the car or grab a $100 engine from the wreckers. Probably easier in the end
I have few good things to say about that little car, except for how dead simple it is to repair.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #305
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Almost certainly only problem is I've no fricking clue what else uses the 8.3L I have. Common as hell but I don't know squat about dump/fire trucks. I don't the the 8.3L Cumins was ever in a Dodge dually or anything like the Fords.
Seems to me they don't really do the "by application" parts search for this engine the way light automotive is done. I've just put a new head gasket and bolts in one of my 8.3 engines. Rather than searching for other applications, I registered on the Cummins QuickServe web site, entered my engine serial number, and found parts diagrams with lists of Cummins part numbers, service manuals, etc (all free). With the Cummins number in hand for the gasket and the bolts it was easy to locate OE and aftermarket parts through the local Cummins dealer and through web sites like Finditparts.com.

By the way: that 8.3L head plus exhaust manifold weighs in the neighborhood of 250 pounds. My upper back is going to be sore for a week after my brother and I carried that thing 60 feet between the shop and the bus yesterday.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #306
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon View Post
Seems to me they don't really do the "by application" parts search for this engine the way light automotive is done. I've just put a new head gasket and bolts in one of my 8.3 engines. Rather than searching for other applications, I registered on the Cummins QuickServe web site, entered my engine serial number, and found parts diagrams with lists of Cummins part numbers, service manuals, etc (all free). With the Cummins number in hand for the gasket and the bolts it was easy to locate OE and aftermarket parts through the local Cummins dealer and through web sites like Finditparts.com.
I haven't (knock on wood) needed to find any parts yet but I am signed up on the Qucikserve already. The only thing I've gone looking for is an ABS sensor which didn't fix the dash light.

Brakes seem to work fine so I haven't done anything more (yet) about it.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:13 PM   #307
Bus Crazy

Prototyping the onboard waste oil centrifuge system:

Old 12-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #308

Very nice build/write up. I haven't even purchased my bus yet but you have me very inspired (and slightly intimidated - I've never built anything) and determined to do this. One early thing I realized is not knowing what to know. People like you should have a skoolie school for novices like myself. Great job and entertaining to read. Thanks for sharing!
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #309
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky View Post
People like you should have a skoolie school for novices like myself. Great job and entertaining to read. Thanks for sharing!
Welcome to Skoolie school. We offer course sequences in Engine Troubleshooting and Maintenance, Plumbing, Electrical, Solar, Scrounging Fixtures, HVAC, and Planning. Electives include Traveling, Scooters, Insurance, and Bad Jokes and General Idiocy. Keep reading.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:54 PM   #310
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Welcome to Skoolie school. We offer course sequences in Engine Troubleshooting and Maintenance, Plumbing, Electrical, Solar, Scrounging Fixtures, HVAC, and Planning. Electives include Traveling, Scooters, Insurance, and Bad Jokes and General Idiocy. Keep reading.

Is there an elective for learning how to put the smoke back into the wires after you let it out by accident?
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:25 PM   #311
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
Is there an elective for learning how to put the smoke back into the wires after you let it out by accident?
Just read the direction on the label and you should be good to go.
Attached Thumbnails
wire-harness-smoke-Custom.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #312
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Oh that is the same way as in country and western songs how the guy gets his wife back, horse back, farm back .... just play the record in reverse.
later Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #313
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
The only people who make OEM quality replacement smoke is Lucus (the prince of darkness) Electric.

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #314
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
The only people who make OEM quality replacement smoke is Lucus (the prince of darkness) Electric.

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit
Poor guy went to his grave with the stigma attached. He tried his hand at vacuum cleaners at one point, was the first thing he made that didn't suck.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #315
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_In_MA View Post
It's an extracurricular activity; we have an afterschool club for that. Don't bother going to the competitions; Hogwarts always wins.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:36 PM   #316
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who have to piss on the electric fence themselves
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #317
Bus Geek

Quote:
So far the only class I've passed is Taking Apart Metal That You Just Welded Together.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:47 PM   #318
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
So far the only class I've passed is Taking Apart Metal That You Just Welded Together.
Oh know it ain't brewerbob
You help make the stuff that helps put these things together.
Some it helps with ideas?
And for some it's the planning/dreaming stage all the through to the end.
I was a home brewer for awhile but had to quit cause you hurt yourself trying to use power tools and drink your own home grown liquor.
Keep it up
That's a special trade.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:28 AM   #319
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Oh know it ain't brewerbob
You help make the stuff that helps put these things together.
Some it helps with ideas?
And for some it's the planning/dreaming stage all the through to the end.
It would help the planning and dreaming if I was drawing and measuring. Hey stupid, that isn't going to work like that. Hey stupid, now that you see it, not only does it look like a$$ but it isn't going to be functional either.

Quote:
I was a home brewer for awhile but had to quit cause you hurt yourself trying to use power tools and drink your own home grown liquor.
I wish that was the excuse. It would make for a better story at the very least. I haven't even brewed anything in 4 or 5 yrs now. Probably longer.

Quote:
Keep it up
I've tried ignoring the bus. Apparently I didn't buy a self building bus. The only thing it is doing when ignored is rust more.
Quote:
That's a special trade.
I didn't know stupid was a trade. There's hope after all. If it's a trade then it could become a sport. If it's practiced enough, it could become an Olympic sport. I'd be happy with a bronze medal. I don't think I want 1st place in stupid.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #320
Bus Geek

Quote:
Quote:
Should you find this class full, you can take Redesigning; Because That Last Idea Was Never Going To Work. While not exactly the same course, they are interchangeable and count towards your degree.