Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26
Re: Big Mac I bought for $500!!!!!

Jarl;

I'll definitely give it a look-over again next week after my exam on Monday (another crusher), and some sanity has returned to my cerebrium........ oops, er, um, brain........ yeah, that's it ...........

Old 10-02-2010, 10:50 AM   #82
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Really like that farm!!! Good place for Brown Crown to visit
Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #83
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncrown
Really like that farm!!! Good place for Brown Crown to visit
BC;

Anytime you want to come out you are more than welcome (with the BC of course!)!!!! Just be prepared for a whole bunch of questions. I'll provide the 5 gallon drool bucket........

BTW, I do have all the hookups too. So no need to worry about being off grid.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Just so y'all are aware, Big Max will now actually become a real skoolie. We've had some changes over the past month that impacted our plans with Max. Max will now have a master bed in the back with the rear door being for access to storage beneath the bed as well as an escape door in an emergency. Immediately to the front and driver's side will be the bunk beds for my son and any friend of his along for the trip. To the foot of the bunks will be the fridge and cupboard storage space. On the passenger side will be the galley with a 10 gallon hot water tank and 50 pound cylinder below the countertop/stove/sink area. Moving forward will be the shower/latrine combination. If y'all remember, I partitioned the front from the back. The partition will remain. However, the sofa convertable will be able to fold out into a queen size bed for two people to sleep cozy and comfy. I'll be removing the folding front doors (due to an inspiration from another thread of an International doing the same thing and bobbing the back about three feet - I can't remember the thread or the poster - but thank you so much for the idea and pictures [I can't seem to find right now]) and using the handicap door for the main door with fold out steps much like an aircraft. The front will have a navigator's seat, some overhead storage, and modified rear view mirrors more in line with my days driving semis. Right now I have so much work to do I'm going crazy (so my wife tells me). Sorry about being away for so long. Pics will follow as the weather warms up down here.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #85
Bus Nut

Figures.... I found my inspiration. Many thanks goes to PapaBear and the Bear Den for the navigator's seat and side door entry. Now I have sooooooo much more work to do.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #86
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to mightybus

Hey m1031,
Glad to see you still out there. How's the EMT training going?
mightybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #87
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybus
Hey m1031,
Glad to see you still out there. How's the EMT training going?
I'm not in school due to the lack of money. So off to work I go until August. So I'm finding a job and saving some cash for then. This will also allow me some time to do some work on Max.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Well, now I have a gas oven/range, toilet, and sink for free from a good friend of mine. He's using the hot water heater from a salvage RV trailer for another project. I'll have the appliances here after Easter. So now I'm on the lookout for a free RV hot water heater...... I'm also working on getting two 3KW gensets for Max for free as well (one has 200 hours and the other has 800 hours - both are MEP 701a sets). I had seven rolls of light beige carpet in the back, but donated five of them to a ranch in need out west. Now I have two rolls and the foam base to work with as well as alot of extra room now. I still need to organize the front half and fix the fuel system. I let the bus go without starting it this winter and now she runs very rough and stalls out. I have fuel filters and some other parts to hopefully get her to start and run smoothly next week. I'll keep everyone posted. Pics should follow in a week or two. No success on the job front yet. I'm figuring to go back to school this August and become a Paramedic in five semesters. This "new world order" really bites big time.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 AM   #89
Bus Nut

Ah, the sweet taste of victory!!!! I went to start Max last month without success. I suspected the fuel filters were the issue. Suspicion was confirmed this afternoon. I bought two new filters, some SeaFoam, some fresh diesel, and presto! The 6.6L came to life as if she was woken up from hybernation. I let the engine run for about 30 minutes and then restarted her 15 minutes later without any problem. Tomorrow (Wednesday) I'm cleaning out the inside. I'll post the "before" and "after" pics for your amusement. Then I'm off to the local school maintenance depot where the chief mechanic told me he'd love a crack at helping me figure out and repair the electrical system so it stops discharging the batteries and actually charges them instead. Then it's onto sealing all the holes in the floor, removing the handicap lift, carpeting, installing a fold-out ladder at the handicap door, eliminating the folding door/steps like I mentioned before, and then working on converting the back. BTW, does anyone know what type of heat resistant/flame proof paint I need to buy to change the puke green gas oven top to a more tolerable white or black color? I need to do the same for the sink I'm getting. The light lime green is enough to make me ill. Granted, green is my favorite color, especially if it comes with pictures of dead presidents. But I do have limits.

I appreciate any help and/or guidance y'all.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #90
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
... BTW, does anyone know what type of heat resistant/flame proof paint I need to buy to change the puke green gas oven top to a more tolerable white or black color? I need to do the same for the sink I'm getting. The light lime green is enough to make me ill.
For the range, get automotive engine paint... it's high temp and you can get it in gloss finishes. For the sink... that is porcelain enamel over steel and you need a "sink and tub" kit from some place like Lowe's/Home Depot. Prep is everything on both items. Use a product that will remove all grease from everything and use a toothbrush to get in to the corners, etc. ProForce's Floor Stripper (Sam's Club in the Janitorial/Restaurant supply section) will strip it down good but it will also peel the skin off your hands (use heavy stripping gloves as it eats up the Nitrile ones). I use it straight to clean dried latex paint out of paint brushes. It will melt natural bristle brushes.

Alternative is to have it done professionally but that may be more than you want to spend.

BTW, that appliance paint you see in stores, that is not good for use around the burners. It will heat up and discolour it.

Link to what I did to repaint the cooktop on the pop-up.
http://schinskeapache.webs.com/remodel.htm
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:08 AM   #91
Bus Nut

Lorna,

Thanks for the help!

On another note - about 30 minutes after my previous post I had to get to the hospital for a 3mm kidney stone. That's #17 so far. Since the demerol (spelling?) has worn off, and I've slept most of the day, I'm working on getting my sleep pattern back to "normal" while allowing my insides to mend . So the pictures may have to wait until the weekend or the beginning of next week. However, I'll keep y'all posted on my conversion progress.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #92
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

ACK! Well forget the bus and get some rest! Hope you recovery quick. And what is #17? This is your 17th stone?
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #93
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
ACK! Well forget the bus and get some rest! Hope you recovery quick. And what is #17? This is your 17th stone?
Yep. I looked like this after everything was said & done -> After all the wonderful meds my attitude was more ->
Old 03-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #94
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
... I had to get to the hospital for a 3mm kidney stone. That's #17 so far...
Useless Trivia:
Did you know that some folks have their kidney stones (and gallstones) made into jewelry?

Quote:
"One customer requested a locket to house his kidney stones."
http://www.greeleytribune.com/article/2 ... /111220072
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #95
Bus Nut

Ok, now that I'm feeling better (the freaky feeling of ghost stones is still with me) I got a new voltage regulator for Max. I've owned mostly Fords in the past. So based upon those experiences, my suspicions of a faulty voltage regulator fits the signs & symptoms of such problems. So I pulled the VR and found the wiring harness had one wire snapped in two. So, in addition to a new VR I'm also modifying the harness with a weatherproof fuse holder (better safe than sorry). So the big test will be when I finish all this, hook up the batteries, fire her up, shut her down, and go back Friday morning and fire her up again without a jump-start or dead batteries. I'm still planning a road trip to the local ISD shop for a mantenance check on the electrical system. Hopefully the supervisior will show me what I need to do to convert the flashing lights to something more useful for me (think really bright off-road lights). The next step will be to organize my transportable shelter (S-280) to put all my supplies and goodies there and not on the front steps (that will be removed fairly soon to provide floor space for the navigator and maybe an additional passenger seat(s) up front depending upon space). Pics coming next week.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #96
Bus Nut

Ok, I'm a little late. But better late than never I suppose.

Well, here's the efforts I put in. I'm getting ready to bolt the sofa down tomorrow and hook up the power to it. I still have some cleaning to do, but nothing like I've already done. My yard is a mess from cleaning, sorting and getting my S-280 ready for a re-pack.

So here's the pics:

Talk about a disaster ready to be cleaned up:

Here's looking towards the back:

The front steps weren't much better:

Lots to look forward to in the back as well:

After some serious efforts:

The front is a bit more civil now:

I'm starting to get things into position such as the frig. Lily was so kind to give me:

In addition, Tracy Supply in Houston is rebuilding my 170 amp Leece-Nevelle alternator for under $200! SWEET!!!!!! So I'll have full power. Plus the super at my local ISD helped me repair the handicap power lift for free! So now it really works like new! I got the CD player working perfectly and the antenna is now secured. I'm working on a CB and Ham radio setup. Carpeting will follow soon. I should have more pics this week.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #97
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Is that a rear road A/C unit I see? If so...nice!
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Is that a rear road A/C unit I see? If so...nice!
You be it is! It blows at 38* too! Nice little option.

Now, onto what my son and I did this past weekend (with a little help from his Mom):

First, while getting to the library I couldn't help but stop and take a pic of this '47 GMC Greydog:

Here's the front:

The owner has commuted from Guatemala to northern Canada for the past 15 years. He drops off the bus here in Houston to store and takes his Toyota pick-up north for the summer. The GMC had an issue with a water pump. I helped the gentleman the following day put the new one on.

Now for the family build. We cleaned out the mess and I ground the floor a bit where some rust had crept back in. After some sealing and painting we started to cut the pad to fit the floor like this:

And this:

Then yesterday I got the carpet installed (along with the bumper for the cabinet):

I used the pad as a template for the carpet like this for the front:

But I still managed to mess it up:

I'm a much better mechanic than carpet guy. However, getting the carpet cut around the handicap lift came out reasonably well:

The bench seat can be removed and slid to the side, the seatbelts are installed so everyone is secure, and it's all done with grade 8 bolts. My wife is working on some batting for the cabnets and other areas. More pics next week.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #99
Bus Nut

Hi all!
I'm back from my studies. I now work for Katy ISD, Katy, TX. Hmmmm, not a bad place to find my next project and do some test driving........ Anyways, since I last posted I've finished much, but have plumbing, propane, and electrical lines to run with my son, M1009, and his girlfriend. Eventually I'll be giving M1009 this bus (how lucky huh? Dad gives son finished skoolie...). My next bus I'm looking to buy is the International AmTran T444E. I like the engine and tranny. I've driven 3 of them so far and it's like riding on glass, SOOO smooth!!!! Air ride makes it even BETTER!!! Anyways, I'm back and I'll have pics this weekend (Sunday).

See y'all then!

M1031
Old 04-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #100
Bus Crazy

The last month or so I had taken to wondering where you went . . . .
I guess we can recall the milk carton photos.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote