Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2024, 02:54 PM   #1

Bikes inside short bus?

Hi! Do you have any smart ideas how to fit bikes inside the bus?
My ideas was to do so under the bed (so bed would have to be like 3-3.5 ft above the floor. Then do to the sliding platform from the back. But the door being not super wide will make access to other stuff in the back difficult. I would love to see what did you guys do. I only saw photos of that sort of setup from vans, not buses.
I was wondering if cutting a hole on the side would work (and slide bikes from there) - kinda like creating side doors. But then it would have to be under the windows and might inflence bus framing.
Anyone ?

kowalewska.ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:51 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I mean your request is a tad difficult to respond to. Not gonna lie.

It's a conundrum because one wants to carry a bike vehicle with them, but how to mount it to the bus?

Your options are to put one of those Uhaul type ramps through your bumper that slide out, and you ride your bike up it fast as not to fall through a small door which is dangerous if you are not skilled.

Or you could make use of a lift potentially if the bike is small enough from a side lift, but this will not be an easy thing to do or fabricate.

Either way is going to take up a bunch of space in your bus. If you are fine with a garage for a bike as a part of your bus space, then that's a non-issue, but it's not going to be an easy task without serious fabrication.
nikitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
When you say bike are you referring to a bicycle? I added a lift on the back of my bus for a motorcycle but wouldn't consider the idea of keeping it inside the bus. A bicycle maybe but it would be pretty difficult to keep out of the way in a short bus.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:11 PM   #4
Bus Nut

I don't believe he is talking about a bicycle. Anyone can just carry a bicycle on their shoulders through the normal door or rear easily enough. People who ask this question are talking about motor powered bikes.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
When I first read the post I couldn't make sense of the question but now I think I got it.

He wants to store his bike under the bed and put it in thru the rear door.
Obviously that is not gonna work so well.

It would be super helpful if you posted a few pics so we can see what your working with but why is it that you want to store the bike under the bed?

Making a side door so you can slide it under the bed is quite a bit of fab work. It can be done but, just for a bike? Besides you might need that space for water tanks or solar batteries and stuff.

IS there a reason a bike rack on the back of the bus won't work for you?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:27 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS FE 2509
Engine: Cummins 5.9l ISB CM550
Rated Cap: 34
bicycles

I'm pretty sure the op is talking about bicycles on a slide out rack like the vans have. When you have $6K-$10k bikes you don't leave them outside on a rack.
Hutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 09:48 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I put a wall on my handicap door as a room for this very reason. Gas powered bikes outside and bicycles in the garage. Without a roof raise, i couldnt fit bikes under the bed and have enough ceiling space to sleep comfortably. Not to mention my water heater, water tanks and lifepo4 batteries have to fit somewhere, might as well go under the bed.
Additionally, gotta have a place to put all the breaker panels, and solar inverters, etc. You might consider making the last 4 feet a garage. I never have a shortage of junk on trips.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 11:07 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalewska.ka View Post
My ideas was to do so under the bed (so bed would have to be like 3-3.5 ft above the floor. Then do to the sliding platform from the back. But the door being not super wide will make access to other stuff in the back difficult. I would love to see what did you guys do. I only saw photos of that sort of setup from vans, not buses.
I was wondering if cutting a hole on the side would work (and slide bikes from there) - kinda like creating side doors. But then it would have to be under the windows and might inflence bus framing.
Anyone ?
How long is your "short bus"? How many windows?

I have a 6-window handicapped bus, and have utilized the back 2-windows as my sleeping area, with a raised Queen sized bed and a 30"high garage space underneath....actually a bit higher than 30" but the bed supports are at 30". The garage space is 5' long (front to back), by the width of the bus, and the left side of the garage contains my water tank and pump.

I was looking to put in a sliding platform to mount bikes as well, but having the slide would have necessitated an additional 4-6" of clearance to be able to fit a 29" MTB / 700c road wheel under the bed. So, I opted to just fix fork mounts to the floor of the bus and roll the rear wheels in, then secure the bikes by the forks. A couple of things I found after the fact: (1) the stack height on my MTB stem is slightly over the 30" clearance, and (2) 60" is a couple of inches short for the MTB to fit in straight in from the back. Fortunately I was able to use the wheelchair door as an access for the bikes - so they are mounted sideways in the garage, and there is about 6" clearance from the end rail of the bed to the w/c door, so the MTB just fits...Road bike is no problem...Could have maybe angled the MTB in from the back, but in the end, the w/c door is wider than the back.

For your case, you can probably get away with the rear door access for bikes assuming you have enough inside floor space for a 5'+ long garage. I would advise against cutting a side access as you will not have enough clearance to fit the the bikes in upright (without cutting away the window rail) and you'll be opening yourself up to potential water intrusion if not properly built.

I'll post a pic of what I have in the next day or so...
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 10:59 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchy View Post
I'm pretty sure the op is talking about bicycles on a slide out rack like the vans have. When you have $6K-$10k bikes you don't leave them outside on a rack.
Where are you buying bicycles worth 6-10k? I can buy a tour de france bicycle for 2k. Even in this inflated economy bikes don't cost that much.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:18 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
Where are you buying bicycles worth 6-10k? I can buy a tour de france bicycle for 2k. Even in this inflated economy bikes don't cost that much.
If you have to ask, then you are obviously not a cyclist…and, no, you cannot buy a Tdf bicycle for 2k … maybe the wheel set, but not a complete bike…
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:31 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Well my bike doesn't have pedals.... and it cost 23 grand and won't fit in the bus!

But then again it's a full bagger Harley!

ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 12:03 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
While its a complete buyers market right now in the bicycle world- there are in fact many folks spending 5-10 grand on mtb/road bikes. At the local bike trails practically all the regulars are on $5000 bikes.
Me- I'm more into bmx and they're practically giving stuff away right now.
They're calling it "bikepocalypse". In 2020 and 21 everyone found new hobbies and the bike industry got real greedy. Now there are warehouses of unsold bikes from as far back as 2022 or earlier in some cases.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:52 PM   #13

Ooops. I meant mountain bike (bicycle)
Old 02-06-2024, 07:57 PM   #14

Yes, mtb bicycles, not moto bikes. I should have been more clear. English skills at its finest.

My bus is 4 window, 18 ft, I was planning a bed platform to be 48" - max 55" wide cause i would not like to loose all the space indoors. Could you send me photos of what you have? Side door would be perfect but you are right i would have to cut through windows and framing somehow...
Old 02-06-2024, 08:49 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Since you're limited on space you're going to have to get creative. The front wheel is easy to find a spot for... maybe a couple hooks on the ceiling anchored into some roof bows would work. You could hang the bike on its side close to the ceiling and use some bungee cords to make sure it doesn't bounce around.
Then when you're laying in bed you can admire your bike.
Just a thought.
I used to do lots of miles on road and mtb but it was all hard tails and 1020 hi tensile stuff. I still have my 95 Trek VW edition that came with my mom's 95 Jetta. That thing took heavy abuse over the years.
But the bike I've put the most miles on is my late 70's Schwinn LeTour. Love the simplicity and the thing just rides out nice even on old unsealed hubs and heavy as sin.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 11:06 PM   #16
Skoolie

This couple keeps theirs under their kitchen sink (accessed from the outside):

Couple Builds RV

He shows the bike storage at 2:45, link ought to jump right to it.
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:26 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
I did almost exactly what desrtdog did. I have a w/c door on the passenger side that I load into with front wheels removed and attach with fork mounts attached to the floor. I use rubber straps to hold front wheels against the bikes to keep them from rolling around. I'm tall so my bike determined the bed height and in order to keep the bed down as much as possible, I need to remove my saddle. Not ideal, but a big deal for peace of mind to have them inside. When carrying 4, I slip one in through the rear door, so you might be able to load that way.

We can carry our two MTN and 2 gravel bikes. Bikes fit in side to side under the queen bed(60x80). My water tank sits on the driver side(above the red box in photos). Sorry, no bikes in the photo b/c its not biking season in ID yet.

No road dust or damage and much less chance of theft.
Attached Thumbnails
20240207_150142.jpg   20240207_150151.jpg  
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:16 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas Built Buses
Chassis: Ford E-450 cutaway
Engine: 6.0 Power Stroke diesel
Rated Cap: GVWR 14,050
Peakbus and desrtdog - great ideas, thanks. I'm rethinking my slide out...
AlphaHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 05:28 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I have a similar pending problem in my bus, and my living space is 24' long. But I just have no room to put bicycles anywhere in there. My bus has a bulkhead wall a couple of feet behind the driver's seat, which creates a cab area/front porch. My plan is to hang the frames and detached wheels of my road bike and mountain bike from the ceiling behind the driver's seat; taking wheels on and off all the time is a pain in the butt, but there's really nowhere else they can go. Bicycles are just too bulky to store very efficiently.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:45 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowalewska.ka View Post
Anyone ?
My bus is a shuttle, and there's no rear door, just the side handicapped double doors, and no room under the bed-I didn't want it lifted that high.

I'm an MTBer and have the same (I assume) security concerns you have-you really don't want that bike to be advertised if you are not physically at the bus.

My solution is a very solid bike rack with 3/8" chain when travelling, but the bikes come into the bus and more or less out of sight when I'm not at the bus or on the bike. I'm working on a chain system for inside the bus as well.

My bike rack is a hitch-mounted custom fab five-banger using LoLo rack components.

For those that aren't into mountain biking, we're not talking Huffies. A new acoustic can start at a few grand, but once you've developed some skill, $5-10K isn't uncommon.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bikes, garage, side door