Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #41
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
[QUOTE=banman;381366]Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What torque do those half-inchers take? I might need to get a new torque wrench if I use that size. I have a smallish one (not the click-type) and I'm not sure I can use it for much more than the 23 ft-lbs of a Grade 5 3/8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post




Google up "standard torque charts for fasteners"

Essentially, a bolt is a spring-clamp used to hold things together -- you want the correct range of torque on the clamp so it doesn't loosen. If you go too tight, you'll stretch the bolt and actually lose clamping force.
Thanks for the info David. I’ll definitely make sure it’s torqued properly. There is a tow hitch going on the tail end.

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #42
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,990
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Google up "standard torque charts for fasteners"

Essentially, a bolt is a spring-clamp used to hold things together -- you want the correct range of torque on the clamp so it doesn't loosen. If you go too tight, you'll stretch the bolt and actually lose clamping force.
I had never used a torque wrench before installing the 3/8 bolts on my floor rebuild. I was surprised by how much more torque the bolts needed than what I was doing with a normal wrench. At least it meant I was never guilty of overtightening bolts in the past, but I was certainly undertightening them.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #43
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Bluto update opinions needed

My first intention was to cover this back deck with some type of grating, but Im having second thoughts. Options; wood decking, solid sheet (1/8) maybe. Give me some thoughts, pros & cons.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BF859973-B633-4AB1-B9C1-02E16ED93D44.jpg (221.3 KB, 12 views)
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #44
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,990
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
My first intention was to cover this back deck with some type of grating, but I’m having second thoughts. Options; wood decking, solid sheet (1/8”) maybe. Give me some thoughts, pros & cons.
Thanks
Expanded steel sheet? I have a local place where I can get it fairly cheap, so right now I'm tending to think of it as the solution to everything.

Right now, I'm also thinking that wood is the mortal enemy of buses.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #45
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,126
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Options; wood decking, solid sheet (1/8”) maybe. Give me some thoughts, pros & cons.
Thanks
A frame that nice deserves some 1" decking planks......inexpensive, durable, aesthetically pleasing, and easily replaced if damaged.

But I'm biased.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #46
Bus Crazy
 
banman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Moved to Zealand!
Posts: 1,517
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
A frame that nice deserves some 1" decking planks......inexpensive, durable, aesthetically pleasing, and easily replaced if damaged.

But I'm biased.
So true... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
My first intention was to cover this back deck with some type of grating, but Im having second thoughts. Options; wood decking, solid sheet (1/8) maybe. Give me some thoughts, pros & cons.
Thanks
Really depends on how you're going to use the deck?
Expanded metal has several pros: no-slip, virtually self cleaning, you probably wouldn't even need to extend the exhaust pipe. Easy to strap things down to (messy things you don't want in the bus yet -- I don't know, I try not to judge...)

1" decking will look more friendly and inviting like a welcome mat even...
You mentioned changing the rear door I presume to something taller...
__________________
David

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #47
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Expanded steel sheet? I have a local place where I can get it fairly cheap, so right now I'm tending to think of it as the solution to everything.

Right now, I'm also thinking that wood is the mortal enemy of buses.
I tend to think the same way about wood. Although I've been working with wood for a better part of 50 plus years. My first thought was expanded metal simply because it would require less maintenance. What got me to having second thoughts was dirt and debri flying up. What would you think of maybe diamond plate aluminum ?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #48
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
A frame that nice deserves some 1" decking planks......inexpensive, durable, aesthetically pleasing, and easily replaced if damaged.

But I'm biased.
I appreciate the comment on the frame. I rarely have a hard time making a decision of my plans. My problem is, I like both materials. I don't hate maintenance, I just want to cut down as much as possible.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #49
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,990
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
I tend to think the same way about wood. Although I've been working with wood for a better part of 50 plus years. My first thought was expanded metal simply because it would require less maintenance. What got me to having second thoughts was dirt and debri flying up. What would you think of maybe diamond plate aluminum ?
I guess that's cheaper than I thought - around $125 for a 4'x8' sheet of 1/16" to $250 for 1/8".

What kind of stuff are you going to carry back there? If it's a motorcycle, I don't think the bottom would get any more dinged than if you were riding it, and expanded steel sheet will at least block anything golf-ball sized or larger.

My CL source for expanded gets cheaper the more you buy, so I'm planning on buying 10 sheets for $200 (each sheet is about 40" x 90") and using it for a lot of things like my bulkhead wall and underbody storage. I kind of want to use it for airplane-style storage above the windows, but I'm worried that will get me into prison bus territory style-wise.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #50
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
So true... ;)



Really depends on how you're going to use the deck?
Expanded metal has several pros: no-slip, virtually self cleaning, you probably wouldn't even need to extend the exhaust pipe. Easy to strap things down to (messy things you don't want in the bus yet -- I don't know, I try not to judge...)

1" decking will look more friendly and inviting like a welcome mat even...
You mentioned changing the rear door I presume to something taller...
Yeah David, the main reason for the deck was to mount my generator. On the right side is where I plan on doing an inset for my water heater. You are correct, I am replacing the bus door with a full size door. I'm trying to make it look like a gypsy wagon of sorts. One thing for sure though, if use wood decking, I will have to mount some kind of thinner metal to run screws in. That frame is a bitch to drill into.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #51
Bus Nut
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 610
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Yeah David, the main reason for the deck was to mount my generator. On the right side is where I plan on doing an inset for my water heater. You are correct, I am replacing the bus door with a full size door. I'm trying to make it look like a gypsy wagon of sorts. One thing for sure though, if use wood decking, I will have to mount some kind of thinner metal to run screws in. That frame is a bitch to drill into.
I went with the composite deck boards... Low maintenance... The only gripe I have so far (been using for tailgating for two seasons now) is it'll scratch some when I haul my homemade charcoal grill on it...

I drilled through my crossmembers (angle iron) and used carriage bolts with nylock nuts underneath...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180915_203817.jpg (148.0 KB, 18 views)
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:19 AM   #52
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,852
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I went with the composite deck boards... Low maintenance... The only gripe I have so far (been using for tailgating for two seasons now) is it'll scratch some when I haul my homemade charcoal grill on it...

I drilled through my crossmembers (angle iron) and used carriage bolts with nylock nuts underneath...
That does look nice!


I suppose that the choice of material is dependent on the height between the bottom of the deck where it will be fastened to the extension and the bottom of the future door. Both expanded metal and diamond aluminum will be thin as compared with a wood deck. My personal preference between the aluminum and expended metal is the aluminum because I really like to go barefoot. Your choice may not need to consider such a thing.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #53
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I went with the composite deck boards... Low maintenance... The only gripe I have so far (been using for tailgating for two seasons now) is it'll scratch some when I haul my homemade charcoal grill on it...

I drilled through my crossmembers (angle iron) and used carriage bolts with nylock nuts underneath...
That definitely looks nice. Now another option for me to consider. Thanks Lol !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #54
Bus Nut
 
Frochevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Wamego Ks
Posts: 610
Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
I ended up going that route because originally I was going to have a side platform that folded down for my shower. It would have the same smooth decking as well to stand on. Now... I may or may not ending up doing that... Lol
__________________
2007 Collins (Chevy Express 3500)
LMM Duramax Diesel with newly rebuilt 4L85E Transmission!
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #55
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I ended up going that route because originally I was going to have a side platform that folded down for my shower. It would have the same smooth decking as well to stand on. Now... I may or may not ending up doing that... Lol
Yeah I have a deck out my back door and I used the composite decking for the hand rails. Pricey stuff, but I like the heck out of it. I don’t believe I would be afraid of scratching it. The composite would also have no water damage or hold water for rusting things underneath. A definite possibility. Thanks Frochevy.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #56
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
BLUTO updat:

Finished the passenger wall last night. ( except for some decorative medallions that are still on order) Ive been sanding all freaking day on all the ceiling that I will begin painting in the next day or two. I hope to have it done by next week..... well break time is over. BACK TO WORK !!! F#in boss is a slave driver !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E58C5248-732D-4F56-AB3E-D5C1D2A9CAF9.jpg (256.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 058484F0-BD33-4D80-93B8-C1301D2A3833.jpg (228.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 957BFC24-07B0-421C-AD5D-622D81C60C6D.jpg (260.6 KB, 13 views)
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #57
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,990
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
What is that wall material? That looks crazy.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #58
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,852
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What is that wall material? That looks crazy.
Yeah is there a nekkid boa constrictor running around out there?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #59
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What is that wall material? That looks crazy.
Found that at Joann Fabrics. If you look at it in different light it looks orange. Just depends on where you are standing. There is 1/4” closed cell foam for the backing.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #60
Bus Nut
 
Phatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Brazoria County, Texas
Posts: 798
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Yeah is there a nekkid boa constrictor running around out there?
Hahahahaha
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.