Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #41
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
[QUOTE=banman;381366]Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
What torque do those half-inchers take? I might need to get a new torque wrench if I use that size. I have a smallish one (not the click-type) and I'm not sure I can use it for much more than the 23 ft-lbs of a Grade 5 3/8.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post

Google up "standard torque charts for fasteners"

Essentially, a bolt is a spring-clamp used to hold things together -- you want the correct range of torque on the clamp so it doesn't loosen. If you go too tight, you'll stretch the bolt and actually lose clamping force.
Thanks for the info David. I’ll definitely make sure it’s torqued properly. There is a tow hitch going on the tail end.

Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Google up "standard torque charts for fasteners"

Essentially, a bolt is a spring-clamp used to hold things together -- you want the correct range of torque on the clamp so it doesn't loosen. If you go too tight, you'll stretch the bolt and actually lose clamping force.
I had never used a torque wrench before installing the 3/8 bolts on my floor rebuild. I was surprised by how much more torque the bolts needed than what I was doing with a normal wrench. At least it meant I was never guilty of overtightening bolts in the past, but I was certainly undertightening them.
Old 04-16-2020, 05:43 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Bluto update opinions needed

My first intention was to cover this back deck with some type of grating, but I’m having second thoughts. Options; wood decking, solid sheet (1/8”) maybe. Give me some thoughts, pros & cons.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
BF859973-B633-4AB1-B9C1-02E16ED93D44.jpg  
Old 04-16-2020, 07:16 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
My first intention was to cover this back deck with some type of grating, but I’m having second thoughts. Options; wood decking, solid sheet (1/8”) maybe. Give me some thoughts, pros & cons.
Thanks
Expanded steel sheet? I have a local place where I can get it fairly cheap, so right now I'm tending to think of it as the solution to everything.

Right now, I'm also thinking that wood is the mortal enemy of buses.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:49 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Options; wood decking, solid sheet (1/8”) maybe. Give me some thoughts, pros & cons.
Thanks
A frame that nice deserves some 1" decking planks......inexpensive, durable, aesthetically pleasing, and easily replaced if damaged.

But I'm biased.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 08:15 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
A frame that nice deserves some 1" decking planks......inexpensive, durable, aesthetically pleasing, and easily replaced if damaged.

But I'm biased.
So true... ;)

Quote:
Thanks
Really depends on how you're going to use the deck?
Expanded metal has several pros: no-slip, virtually self cleaning, you probably wouldn't even need to extend the exhaust pipe. Easy to strap things down to (messy things you don't want in the bus yet -- I don't know, I try not to judge...)

1" decking will look more friendly and inviting like a welcome mat even...
You mentioned changing the rear door I presume to something taller...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:21 PM   #47
Bus Nut

Quote:
Expanded steel sheet? I have a local place where I can get it fairly cheap, so right now I'm tending to think of it as the solution to everything.

Right now, I'm also thinking that wood is the mortal enemy of buses.
I tend to think the same way about wood. Although I've been working with wood for a better part of 50 plus years. My first thought was expanded metal simply because it would require less maintenance. What got me to having second thoughts was dirt and debri flying up. What would you think of maybe diamond plate aluminum ?
Old 04-16-2020, 09:30 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post

But I'm biased.
I appreciate the comment on the frame. I rarely have a hard time making a decision of my plans. My problem is, I like both materials. I don't hate maintenance, I just want to cut down as much as possible.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:37 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
I tend to think the same way about wood. Although I've been working with wood for a better part of 50 plus years. My first thought was expanded metal simply because it would require less maintenance. What got me to having second thoughts was dirt and debri flying up. What would you think of maybe diamond plate aluminum ?
I guess that's cheaper than I thought - around $125 for a 4'x8' sheet of 1/16" to $250 for 1/8".

What kind of stuff are you going to carry back there? If it's a motorcycle, I don't think the bottom would get any more dinged than if you were riding it, and expanded steel sheet will at least block anything golf-ball sized or larger.

My CL source for expanded gets cheaper the more you buy, so I'm planning on buying 10 sheets for $200 (each sheet is about 40" x 90") and using it for a lot of things like my bulkhead wall and underbody storage. I kind of want to use it for airplane-style storage above the windows, but I'm worried that will get me into prison bus territory style-wise.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:38 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
So true... ;)

Really depends on how you're going to use the deck?
Expanded metal has several pros: no-slip, virtually self cleaning, you probably wouldn't even need to extend the exhaust pipe. Easy to strap things down to (messy things you don't want in the bus yet -- I don't know, I try not to judge...)

1" decking will look more friendly and inviting like a welcome mat even...
You mentioned changing the rear door I presume to something taller...
Yeah David, the main reason for the deck was to mount my generator. On the right side is where I plan on doing an inset for my water heater. You are correct, I am replacing the bus door with a full size door. I'm trying to make it look like a gypsy wagon of sorts. One thing for sure though, if use wood decking, I will have to mount some kind of thinner metal to run screws in. That frame is a bitch to drill into.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Yeah David, the main reason for the deck was to mount my generator. On the right side is where I plan on doing an inset for my water heater. You are correct, I am replacing the bus door with a full size door. I'm trying to make it look like a gypsy wagon of sorts. One thing for sure though, if use wood decking, I will have to mount some kind of thinner metal to run screws in. That frame is a bitch to drill into.
I went with the composite deck boards... Low maintenance... The only gripe I have so far (been using for tailgating for two seasons now) is it'll scratch some when I haul my homemade charcoal grill on it...

I drilled through my crossmembers (angle iron) and used carriage bolts with nylock nuts underneath...
Attached Thumbnails
20180915_203817.jpg  
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 02:19 AM   #52
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I went with the composite deck boards... Low maintenance... The only gripe I have so far (been using for tailgating for two seasons now) is it'll scratch some when I haul my homemade charcoal grill on it...

I drilled through my crossmembers (angle iron) and used carriage bolts with nylock nuts underneath...
That does look nice!

I suppose that the choice of material is dependent on the height between the bottom of the deck where it will be fastened to the extension and the bottom of the future door. Both expanded metal and diamond aluminum will be thin as compared with a wood deck. My personal preference between the aluminum and expended metal is the aluminum because I really like to go barefoot. Your choice may not need to consider such a thing.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:28 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Quote:

That definitely looks nice. Now another option for me to consider. Thanks Lol !!
Old 04-17-2020, 08:47 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
I ended up going that route because originally I was going to have a side platform that folded down for my shower. It would have the same smooth decking as well to stand on. Now... I may or may not ending up doing that... Lol
Old 04-17-2020, 08:56 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Quote:
I ended up going that route because originally I was going to have a side platform that folded down for my shower. It would have the same smooth decking as well to stand on. Now... I may or may not ending up doing that... Lol
Yeah I have a deck out my back door and I used the composite decking for the hand rails. Pricey stuff, but I like the heck out of it. I don’t believe I would be afraid of scratching it. The composite would also have no water damage or hold water for rusting things underneath. A definite possibility. Thanks Frochevy.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #56
Bus Nut

BLUTO updat:

Finished the passenger wall last night. ( except for some decorative medallions that are still on order) I’ve been sanding all freaking day on all the ceiling that I will begin painting in the next day or two. I hope to have it done by next week..... we’ll break time is over. BACK TO WORK !!! F#¥€in boss is a slave driver !!
Attached Thumbnails
E58C5248-732D-4F56-AB3E-D5C1D2A9CAF9.jpg   058484F0-BD33-4D80-93B8-C1301D2A3833.jpg   957BFC24-07B0-421C-AD5D-622D81C60C6D.jpg  
Old 04-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #57
Bus Geek

What is that wall material? That looks crazy.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Yeah is there a nekkid boa constrictor running around out there?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Quote:
Found that at Joann Fabrics. If you look at it in different light it looks orange. Just depends on where you are standing. There is 1/4” closed cell foam for the backing.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:05 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Yeah is there a nekkid boa constrictor running around out there?
Hahahahaha