Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #1

Year: 2007
Bought a 2007 Ford E-350 Super Duty 5.4L V8 shuttle bus

If you own or have owned a shuttle bus like the one described -- what problems have you run into? I know they are known to get rusted in spark plugs and to be pretty poopy to put it nicely. Wellllll I bought one. I'm wondering if it's a lost cause and should trade ASAP or if it's not that bad. I was so excited about it until I realized the issues I can run into with it.

Some extra info on the bus:
- Only 1 other owner - a school district that bought brand new and kept very well maintained
- turtle top fiberglass shell
- braun wheelchair lift I plan to remove
- 31,000 miles! (used for special needs children for short occasional trips)
- battery was usually plugged in which I'm guessing was b/c of wheelchair lift sucking power... once I remove it should be okay?
- new wheels (~100 miles on them)
- new brakes
- dually
- gas so probably 8-9 MPG
- driver and passenger seat which is neat
- 21' long

Since I just got a job out of college that cannot be long term remote I will be using the bus for long weekend or week long trips for the next 1.5 - 2 years. After that, I plan to live in it full time moving it seasonally.

So does anyone have something similar??? How much $ have you put into yours for repairs and was it worth it? Any and all info appreciated. Thank you!!

jgarl379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
2007, I'll take the gasser over a diesel any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The 3V Tritons seem to be more known for the spark plug issues, as well as camshaft phasers. Not sure whether 2007 would be a 2V or 3V.

Wheelchair lift shouldn't use power when not in use. Be careful removing / disabling it, most are spidered into the electrical to prevent starting or driving. Miles don't tell the whole story. You need to find the hours on the engine as well.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:32 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Eldorado - 210 Aerolite
I've got an '06. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/2...tml#post268404
Tankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:15 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 63&5
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
Not a lost cause at all! By 2007 Ford had corrected problems the 4R100 transmissions had earlier and should go a few hundred thousand miles without issues with regular maintenance. The 5.4 is a good engine with a (by 2007) long history of upgrades as needed. Yes it's no powerhouse in an E350 sized bus but it will go down the highway without making a fuss.
One big issue I cannot make enough noise for is the engine needs timely oil changes! Timely oil changes! If I could make these words underlined and flashing I would. The 3V (3 valve) engines are some of Fords early adjustable VVTi cam phase technology (VTEC YO!) and the engine requries clean oil for the ECM to make the camshaft adjustments. Change the oil every 5000 miles at a minimum and if you want to keep this bus for a long time change oil every 3000 miles.
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:33 AM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO pilot View Post
One big issue I cannot make enough noise for is the engine needs timely oil changes! Timely oil changes! If I could make these words underlined and flashing I would.
You can, however, make them bold, underlined and italic, as well as bigger... Also, if it is a 3V engine, they are prone to camshaft phaser issues. Do NOT replace these with Dorman or any other aftermarket, they typically result in noisy engine.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
3v tritons are tricky beasts we make a lot of money on them. On the other hand we see them in with 300k+ not infrequently.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford bus, ford e350, shuttle bus, shuttle bus conversion