Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Budgetting short bus conversion

Hello, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this isn't the right place to post this question. I am a recent graduate from a college of hypnotherapy, and have a dream of outfitting a short school bus to be my mobile hypnotherapy office. (Who doesn't want to get hypnotized on a rad bus?) I'm toying with the idea of making a Kickstarter campaign for it, but am not quite sure of what my goal should be. I've been scouring the web and forums to get a handle on it, but can't seem to find what I need, so I'm hoping that some of you fine veterans can help me get a clearer picture. I've been obsessively looking for buses on craigslists all over the country, so I have an idea of what I might pay for the actual unconverted bus, but the cost of the conversion is eluding me.

Here's what I have in mind:

Basic
-removing seats
-reinsulating
-flooring (curious about options there...what is best for avoiding water damage and making future modifications easy?)
-basic electric; enough to charge ipad, laptop, and basic cooling and heating appliances (portable fine)
-solar panels to support electricity
-anchoring furniture
-equipment that makes internet easily accessible (many appointments would be via skype and facetime)

Ambitious bonuses
-modifying doors to fit a "real" door, such as a nice wood one
-potentially modifying some windows to be swing out, replacing side door with stained glass
-possible back porch
-wood or other accents to make it more stylized and to camouflage elements like solar panels

It all seems insanely complicated to me when I list it, but those of you who outfit these for your home might see it as a piece of cake. I am also interested in what people would charge to help with a lot of this, as I am ignorant and physically incapable of doing most of it. Thank you so so very much for any help you can provide! I hope it's alright for me to post this in the general forum as well...

Hypnobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Two identical threads
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 03:48 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar 5.9 Diesel
Rated Cap: A butt-load...
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnobus View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum, so apologies if this isn't the right place to post this question. I am a recent graduate from a college of hypnotherapy, and have a dream of outfitting a short school bus to be my mobile hypnotherapy office. (Who doesn't want to get hypnotized on a rad bus?) I'm toying with the idea of making a Kickstarter campaign for it, but am not quite sure of what my goal should be. I've been scouring the web and forums to get a handle on it, but can't seem to find what I need, so I'm hoping that some of you fine veterans can help me get a clearer picture. I've been obsessively looking for buses on craigslists all over the country, so I have an idea of what I might pay for the actual unconverted bus, but the cost of the conversion is eluding me.

Here's what I have in mind:

Basic
-removing seats
-reinsulating
-flooring (curious about options there...what is best for avoiding water damage and making future modifications easy?)
-basic electric; enough to charge ipad, laptop, and basic cooling and heating appliances (portable fine)
-solar panels to support electricity
-anchoring furniture
-equipment that makes internet easily accessible (many appointments would be via skype and facetime)

Ambitious bonuses
-modifying doors to fit a "real" door, such as a nice wood one
-potentially modifying some windows to be swing out, replacing side door with stained glass
-possible back porch
-wood or other accents to make it more stylized and to camouflage elements like solar panels

It all seems insanely complicated to me when I list it, but those of you who outfit these for your home might see it as a piece of cake. I am also interested in what people would charge to help with a lot of this, as I am ignorant and physically incapable of doing most of it. Thank you so so very much for any help you can provide! I hope it's alright for me to post this in the general forum as well...
I wouldn't call it "complicated", as ....lots of work, perhaps?
One suggestion that was given to me on this forum was to break down the whole project in smaller tasks, and work on each, one at a time.

As far as costs, it all depends on how far you are willing to go.
My conversion by someone standards might barely pass as a "true conversion", as i'm only really building the bed area, not really insulating walls and floor, etc...but that is fine for my needs, as we don't plan on doing long trips, and besides...I consider this my "dry run" build (wait until i break the news to wifey...).
My initial budget (bus included) was $5K; I an currently roughly $200 over-budget, but i think i'm basically done buying stuff...i just need to put it together.

As far as electrical, figure out what your everall power usage would be (adding all the wattage from all the appliances you want to use), then figure out if solar panels would be suitable, or maybe you should look into a hybrid solar/gas generator system.

For mobile web connectivity, it seems the best are at the moment AT&T and Verizon, but it depends on your area/coverage. These little things can be expensive...

Sounds like you still have to think about a few things, but your head is in the right place! Just keep reading and do your research!
Ask questions here, but also search the forums!
skoolie_n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnobus View Post
I am a recent graduate from a college of hypnotherapy, and have a dream of outfitting a short school bus to be my mobile hypnotherapy office. (Who doesn't want to get hypnotized on a rad bus?)
There's actually a college degree in hypnosis? Wow! Just curious because I'm always been interested in Eastern Medicine. What type of work can you get with a degree in this? Work for a Psych Dr or have your own practice treating people for various things? Now you've got me curious and I'll spend half the night surfing the interweb looking up hypnotherapy colleges and careers!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you so much for your thoughts! You gave me some more helpful things to research!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Yes! It's very exciting! Go to www.hypnosis.edu and/or send me a pm. (I haven't figured out how to do that yet.) I love talking about it!
Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

I'm also very interested in learning about budgetary considerations. I realize that they (costs) can be all over the board, depending on how much dough one has. I and my partner don't have much dough, but we like quality and are willing to take the time to get stuff done in both a mechanically and aesthetically appealing way.

I'm thinking a short bus conversion would probably be best for us for all kinds of reasons -- purchase price and fuel efficiency are atop our list.

Any suggestions about how to find a decent short bus at a decent, low price? and which one to choose (criteria). And how to create something lovely at a low cost? I'm all ears!
MrRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiver View Post
I'm also very interested in learning about budgetary considerations. I realize that they (costs) can be all over the board, depending on how much dough one has. I and my partner don't have much dough, but we like quality and are willing to take the time to get stuff done in both a mechanically and aesthetically appealing way.

I'm thinking a short bus conversion would probably be best for us for all kinds of reasons -- purchase price and fuel efficiency are atop our list.

Any suggestions about how to find a decent short bus at a decent, low price? and which one to choose (criteria). And how to create something lovely at a low cost? I'm all ears!
Shorties typically command slightly higher prices due to less supply and more demand in the second hand bus market.
What's you location? I have a lead on a nice shorty.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Shorties typically command slightly higher prices due to less supply and more demand in the second hand bus market.
What's you location? I have a lead on a nice shorty.
I'm in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I'd love to know of your lead, but worry that if you post it here it will be snapped up before I can look into it -- lol.

Perhaps a private message?
MrRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:19 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRiver View Post
I'm in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I'd love to know of your lead, but worry that if you post it here it will be snapped up before I can look into it -- lol.

Perhaps a private message?
If you're out there, then get a western bus. You folks out west got the GOOD ones!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, office, short bus