Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Musegenesis....That is a great idea. May be change your name in bunk genius.

I do not think anybody has done that. But I can see that that could be a really space saver.

Johan

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:36 PM   #62
Skoolie

Finally got the bunks done enough to take the first group trip. I was able to comfortably transport and sleep me and 7 friends 260 miles one way to my fishing property! Everyone had a great time compared to other years when we took multiple small vehicles. The experience is well worth the 9.75 mpg we got (ouch).

The bottom bunks are 6 inch foam covered in duck canvas with bed sheet toppers, the top bunks are 4 inch foam covered in the same stuff. Everyone slept really well and was comfortable except for the 2 guys on the floor.

I installed a Power hungry performance Hydra tuner before we left. That helped me maintain 65 mph with reduced EGTs than before the tuner, and gives me much more usable power for easier driving. I ran most of the trip in the 40 Horsepower setting which seemed to be the most comfortable for the engine. I loaded a tune for up to 140 extra horsepower which I ran for a bit and it really moves the 12k lbs loaded weight well. EGTs were not happy with that tune though.

I installed a remote mount transmission cooler with a fan (derale 25 row) and was able to keep the temps well below the danger zone. The highest I saw pulling a long hill was 185 degrees. Before the cooler I would routinely see 210 degrees...

Overall I am extremely pleased with how it works. There are a few minor things I have left to do, Trailer hitch, aero mods for hopefully more MPGs, floor corner trim, more sound deadening to make the driver area more comfortable, and some carpet runners for the floor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_498539270709614.jpg (200.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20190913_080005.jpg (184.0 KB, 16 views)
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #63
Skoolie

After driving it for a few days in this suddenly colder NJ weather... I do not have heat in the dash. I think its my blend door actuator or the door itself as all the vac solenoids seem to function properly... I hope I don't have to pull the dash. But I will need heat soon. Oh well, the ups and downs are what makes it exciting I guess.
Old 09-20-2019, 11:43 AM   #64
Bus Crazy

Are you sure your vacuum pump is operating properly?

On both a GM G-3500 chassis with the 6.5L and a Ford E-350 with the 7.3L I had the vacuum pump fail. On the Ford it meant I lost the power assist on the brakes so it was very clear that I had a problem. On the GM the only stuff that was operated on vacuum was the cruise control and the factory dash HVAC system so it took a while before I figured out what was the problem.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #65
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Are you sure your vacuum pump is operating properly?

On both a GM G-3500 chassis with the 6.5L and a Ford E-350 with the 7.3L I had the vacuum pump fail. On the Ford it meant I lost the power assist on the brakes so it was very clear that I had a problem. On the GM the only stuff that was operated on vacuum was the cruise control and the factory dash HVAC system so it took a while before I figured out what was the problem.
Yes this has the mechanical vac pump and when it fails the brake booster goes with it. My brakes are excellent right now. I had the mechanical pump fail on my truck (96 7.3 f250) and I knew the brakes were gone right away.
Old 10-15-2019, 07:43 AM   #66
Skoolie

Well I figured out my heat issue. And its probably the most duh moment I have had with the bus... The way the heat is plumbed in this bus is with 2 valves that shut coolant flow off to both front and rear heat (apparently) Since I deleted the rear heat for now, I turned off the one valve. Last night I opened that valve and the heat worked. Now to install my rear heat system more on that later...