Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #1

Bus Leaks

First time posting here! Hello!
I’m having issues with my bus leaking. There are so many. A few of the issues seem to be coming from the screws that hold the black bars on the outside. Some leaks seem to be coming through the fiberglass of where the lights are.
I’ve caulked around the screws, above the black outside metal strips, around the windows, around the outside lights.. No matter where I caulk, it still seems to leak.
Please view my photos and let me know where i’m going wrong here.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
8BAE2CCB-99A6-4053-A48E-7D7EEF79B81C.jpg   0F951263-DB65-4DE1-B40A-CE332415205D.jpg   9570CDCB-31BE-40A1-9EFB-2030309502AA.jpg   FD8EEABD-AAD6-488A-A5E1-C97495428EDC.jpg   CF06A899-A468-408F-91F2-6C20E898CC94.jpg  

MadelynLindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
These are all interior pictures. Have you also caulked the exterior of these areas? Tracing leaks can be tricky. If someone can be on the outside with a hose, you might be able to locate the source of the leaks easier.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #3

Thank you for the response! I should have added some exterior photos. I have caulked areas outside that seem to be a problem. (Around the black outside panels, around lights and windows)
I’ve noticed most skoolie builds, people leave the bottom interior wall panels up whereas, i’ve taken them out. Behind the paneling there was a gap that went around the perimeter of the bus that i put metal patches down to cover... maybe they were drain points? In that case, I’m wondering if i should have left it how it was or to continue to keep caulking until all leaks are gone.
MadelynLindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadelynLindberg View Post
... maybe they were drain points?
Even if it was intended drain points, I would want to prevent all water from entering. It appears that all pictures were below the windows. When and if you use a water hose, start from the bottom up and don't put water on the windows. If no leaks are detected then move up to the windows and then to any marker lights above the windows.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 04:59 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
Even if it was intended drain points, I would want to prevent all water from entering. It appears that all pictures were below the windows. When and if you use a water hose, start from the bottom up and don't put water on the windows. If no leaks are detected then move up to the windows and then to any marker lights above the windows.
Humidity in the air condenses on the interior steel skins.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:58 AM   #6
Bus Nut

What type of caulking are you using?

My windows leaked like hell, and I couldn't seem to remove them to reseal. So I slathered copious amounts of Dynatron 550 Seam Sealer (https://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-550-.../dp/B005RNFBMC) along the seams on the outside, let it dry for a day, then tested again with the hose and it was dry!
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Also, I don't recommend it because of how permanent this solution is, but if you get fed up, you can always use West System epoxy and fiberglass matting. There was a seam on my roof that was clearly leaking, but it was riveted together and there was no way I was going to take it apart to reseal it... and since it was on the roof... I just pasted epoxy + cloth + more epoxy on top and now it's bone dry.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
What type of caulking are you using?

My windows leaked like hell, and I couldn't seem to remove them to reseal. So I slathered copious amounts of Dynatron 550 Seam Sealer (https://www.amazon.com/Dynatron-550-.../dp/B005RNFBMC) along the seams on the outside, let it dry for a day, then tested again with the hose and it was dry!
I like this solution -- as I did NOT relish the idea of removing and resealing all the windows, and this method doesn't preclude removing the windows later if you want to...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulking, leak, leaking, leaks