Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2023, 11:03 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 7.3
Bus won't start after removing heater...?

Good day. I have removed the heaters from my Blue Bird 3700 t444e short bus. After removal I got the dreaded "Water in fuel' light. I drained the fuel filter and changed it. When I try to start the bus now I still get the 'water in fuel' light plus the 'single click' heard round the Skoolie world and no turn-over. When I try testing some of the dome lights some come on, some don't . Battery levels are 12.1 & 12.4.

For the life of me I cannot find the wiring and fuse box. It is not underneath the outside of the drivers window like I have seen on most buses that are almost identical to mine. There is a small fuse box underneath the dash on the right. I am thinking that I was supposed to disconnect something in the panel before or after removing the heater... Maybe I caused a battery drain?... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

so_cas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by so_cas View Post
Good day. I have removed the heaters from my Blue Bird 3700 t444e short bus. After removal I got the dreaded "Water in fuel' light. I drained the fuel filter and changed it. When I try to start the bus now I still get the 'water in fuel' light plus the 'single click' heard round the Skoolie world and no turn-over. When I try testing some of the dome lights some come on, some don't . Battery levels are 12.1 & 12.4.

For the life of me I cannot find the wiring and fuse box. It is not underneath the outside of the drivers window like I have seen on most buses that are almost identical to mine. There is a small fuse box underneath the dash on the right. I am thinking that I was supposed to disconnect something in the panel before or after removing the heater... Maybe I caused a battery drain?... Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The fuse panel you found is probably the only one. most of the wiring and solenoids maybe behind the panel beside the drivers left arm. There should a 40a inline fuse in the battery compartment but I don't think it is a problem here. The water in fuel is not an issue either. The battery voltage maybe the issue. Charge both batteries individually to bring the voltage up. If you are not getting them to 12.6 they maybe bad especially if they were in the bus when purchased or have sat for a long period of time. Even if you do get a good reading then they still may not hold a charge if there is a bad battery cell.

Have you started the roof raise?
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:21 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for responding! I hope it is just that the battery needs charging as I need to get this bus ready to live in out of necessity... As for the roof raise- looks like that may be just a dream for now. I've gotten no responses from anyone in town and the professionals are charging $5000 - $8000.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:53 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBus View Post
The fuse panel you found is probably the only one. most of the wiring and solenoids maybe behind the panel beside the drivers left arm. There should a 40a inline fuse in the battery compartment but I don't think it is a problem here. The water in fuel is not an issue either. The battery voltage maybe the issue. Charge both batteries individually to bring the voltage up. If you are not getting them to 12.6 they maybe bad especially if they were in the bus when purchased or have sat for a long period of time. Even if you do get a good reading then they still may not hold a charge if there is a bad battery cell.

Have you started the roof raise?
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...MVbQnf6aJksIoV
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...oZOF5UDCzahAhe
Old 05-18-2023, 03:01 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:

Including a video and a pic:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...MVbQnf6aJksIoV
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...oZOF5UDCzahAhe
Old 05-18-2023, 03:21 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Links do not work
Old 05-18-2023, 03:30 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Links do not work
Hmmm… works on my computer and iPad.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:30 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Quote:
Hmmm… works on my computer and iPad.
The links are directed to your personal google account. Only works with your login.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:55 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

New links

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G1psmDiXsm9ZnopY7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/EoBRMaywedDUnGD98
Old 05-18-2023, 06:08 PM   #10
Bus Nut

I believe you have removed all heat going to the drivers area. You may have heat for the defroster but I'm not sure. That problem can be solved later if needed. I don't think the issue is the heater even though you cut the wires for the fan motor.
The water in fuel light comes on when the key is turned on and is not the problem. Charge the batteries and give an update.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:10 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I believe you have removed all heat going to the drivers area. You may have heat for the defroster but I'm not sure. That problem can be solved later if needed. I don't think the issue is the heater even though you cut the wires for the fan motor.
The water in fuel light comes on when the key is turned on and is not the problem. Charge the batteries and give an update.
I will! Thank you.
Old 05-18-2023, 06:28 PM   #12
Bus Nut

In case you don't have a fuse panel guide. This is from a '97 Thomas I have and could be the same since it is an International chassis. But you do have hydraulic brakes with manual parking, so I'm not so sure about what goes in the air dryer slot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuse Box Cover.png
Views:	8
Size:	477.6 KB
ID:	71915
Old 05-18-2023, 06:41 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
thanks for that bama.
water in fuel is motor specific and not anything bus body related.
powertrain first. some were known to have guage issues.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 10:24 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Your batteries need to be fully charged before you can troubleshoot.

When you removed the heaters, did you disconnect any wiring, or just unplug the heaters?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:08 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Your batteries need to be fully charged before you can troubleshoot.

When you removed the heaters, did you disconnect any wiring, or just unplug the heaters?

Hello. No I did not... The neighborhood dude I paid to take the seats out cut the wires. I thought I could then unplug it from the electric fuse box only to realize that I do not have one.
I also realize after another helpful comment that I may have to put some of the coolant hose back if I am to use the window defogger.
Old 05-19-2023, 12:53 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Unless you've had other wires cut, the problem is most likely the battery voltage. Get them charged up, see if it turns over.

When was the last time the bus ran?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 12:54 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Hello. No I did not... The neighborhood dude I paid to take the seats out cut the wires. I thought I could then unplug it from the electric fuse box only to realize that I do not have one.
I also realize after another helpful comment that I may have to put some of the coolant hose back if I am to use the window defogger.
yes you do have a fuse box somewhere you just need to find it.
regardless of who did it wires were cut and need to be addressed.
one of my buses has a fuse box under the drivers seat, a fuse block over the dash, and another fused block in a compartment over the drivers head.
and of course under the hood.
those heaters were fused somewhere.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucker View Post
Unless you've had other wires cut, the problem is most likely the battery voltage. Get them charged up, see if it turns over.

When was the last time the bus ran?
Bus ran 3 weeks ago until I pulled the heater out. The two batteries are fairly new
Old 05-19-2023, 01:11 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
yes you do have a fuse box somewhere you just need to find it.
regardless of who did it wires were cut and need to be addressed.
one of my buses has a fuse box under the drivers seat, a fuse block over the dash, and another fused block in a compartment over the drivers head.
and of course under the hood.
those heaters were fused somewhere.
Understood…. I am not understanding if the wires being cut has caused some sort of battery draw. Do I need to address them before I test the battery again. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #20
Bus Geek

i have bought brand new batteries that had no charge.
open ended wires with constant power supply that should not be constant power happens.
trace the wires back to you find there connection point.
buses are not very happy when you start cutting wires.
good battery charge
cut a wire
start the bus
move to the next wire and cut it
start the bus.
not trying to give you a hard time.

Tags
fuse panel, heater removal, short bus