Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 07:17 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ceiling is looking good!! what keeps the planks from cracking and / or splintering when your bus flexes as you say drive over rail tracks or a nasty construction zone on the road?

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #42
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford E-450
That's a great question... I have no idea, haha. Guess we'll see what happens! I've seen several skoolies using similar ceilings, but not any follow up as to how well they've held up.
mattbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:35 PM   #43
Almost There

I was thinking more about your questions Christopher, wondering if anyone has any experience with using wood hardener? I know it's meant more for decaying wood, but maybe it would also strength the cedar planks which are somewhat soft as is. Minwax 1 pt. High-Performance Wood Hardener-41700000 - The Home Depot
Old 09-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Nice progress! I enjoy your build, especially since we're in similar positions. Regarding the airgap for the ceiling, If you throw in a radient barrier, I think it adds some sort of magic insulation science. I am thinking about using some reflectix in my ceiling if I find myself with a small air gap. However I do want to smother my insulation just because vibrations.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:18 AM   #45
Almost There

Thanks Taolik! I've been following your build as well, good stuff! I kind of wish I went with spray foam now, but the foam board was definitely more affordable for me and easy to self install. Anyways, it's all a learning experience!

Cedar plank ceiling is done. Definitely a pain in the ass, but it looks pretty great!

Unfortunately I'm headed out of town for a week or two for work, so no updates on the bus for a bit. Plan on painting the roof with Hytech Bus Kote first thing when I get back. But for now, the bus gets a tarp while I'm gone.

Old 09-28-2016, 02:26 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Flattered-grass is always greener, I called around some spray foam contractors and the majority of them refused to do work on my bus stating that it would damage my roof line and they couldn't be liable for that (despite my insistence that it's okay). Also most of them also told me they have minimums like $1,000. I'm sure I could've found one to do it but I figure my first bus conversion is okay for me to stinge out on spray foam. It's really a learning experience. Ultimately I justify my decisions with "next bus will be better". //end rant.

Anyway that ceiling looks awesome! It kinda makes me want to go with a wood ceiling. I got some time to think about it, hopefully I'll catch up by the time you return. Have fun!
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 PM   #47
Almost There

Well I was only back in town for a little over a week, and now I'm headed off again. I did manage to get the roof seams sealed and two coats of paint on, in between rain showers. I still have a gallon of HyTech Buskote left (bought 2), so if I don't get a chance to put it on before it gets too cold, I'll put a fresh coat on in the spring. Used Hytech seam seeler and patch tape before the paint to cover all the seams and most of the rivets. Here is a before and after.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:39 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Engine: 6.5L Turbo
Your build is coming along really well! Did you convert the existing hatch to a skylight? Any cutting required?
zelseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:20 PM   #49
Almost There

@zelseman Thanks! Yeah, the skylight is where the emergency hatch was, no additional cutting required.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #50
Almost There

Well it's been a couple months, but we've had a nice break in the weather here in upstate NY so I've made a little more progress. Framed out the bathroom, and after much debating decided to go with tongue and groove for the walls.

Right now my plan is to leave the cedar ceiling natural, and paint the tongue and groove interior walls white, or something light.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #51
Almost There

Bathroom and some of the interior walls completed, all tongue and groove. Bathroom walls nailed in with finishing nails, and the interior bus walls I screwed in directly to the bus frame with self-drilling Teks screws which worked perfectly. Really happy with the results so far, but I'll definitely be painting the walls... just a little too much natural wood for me. Not decided on the wall colors yet though.

Old 02-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #52
Almost There

Coachwork: BLUE BIRD
Engine: FORD 6.0l
Rated Cap: 29
Looks great. Definitely like how you did the ceiling, that looks really sweet
Thurm2590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
VERY groovy lil shory, yall!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #54
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: t444e
Where did you pick up the tuff-r?
ChiliChzPoopTart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3l Powerstroke (chipped)
Awesome build Matt! Im in the process of converting an E450 as well. Just got my insulation and plywood on the floor and have removed my metal ceiling panels. Now on to cabinets and a wood ceiling. How did you prepare the roof before installing the sunroof? Looks like you may have sanded it or something? And I also second the question where did you get the Tuff-R? Cant find it at any big box stores near me.
GreenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #56
Almost There

@ChiliChzPoopTart @GreenThunder I picked up the Tuff-R from a local Home Depot.

@GreenThunder Thanks! To prep the roof I just cleaned, lightly sanded and primed it. Then I laid down some butyl sealant tape before screwing down the dome.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #57
Almost There

Finished with the tongue and groove, and as much as I'm digging the look I think I'm still going to paint the walls. The natural wood ceiling, walls and floor would just be too much. Photo below is kind of the theme I'm thinking.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #58

This build is awesome so far. I'm a total new guy to this stuff but I've got the bug.

I noticed you're from Roc, I'm an RIT student. Hope to see this thing driving around town at some point when I get back into the states.

Keep up the good work.
bpica168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #59

Very impressed with the build! I have my sights on doing exactly this in about a year to two years time with the goal of traveling across the country to do some climbing and mountain biking on a very extended vacation haha. I hope to see the bus in motion soon!
eweiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:54 PM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Two questions...

1. What did you use to seal the roof?

2. What kind of spray foam did you use for the gaps in the polyiso? I'm assuming great stuff? That's what I'm planning on using but I'm slightly nervous cause it says not to use it anywhere that will be enclosed.