Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #141
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbus View Post

Is that sink designed as an undermount? If so, what method did you use to mount it on top?

Old 05-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #142
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Is there anything to prevent the tank from sliding forward or backwards? I am curious as I am preparing to install mine soon. Thanks!

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #143
Almost There

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Ford E-450
@farok Thank you!

@ermracing The sink is sold as "drop-in or under mount". I just cut the hole in the countertop, ran some adhesive caulk around the edge of the hole and under the sink flange and set it down in the hole. Put some heavy stuff on it so it would stay seated while it dried. It's really secure in there.

@rovobay The threaded rods keep it going from side to side, but there is nothing specifically from holding it from going back and forth. Just tightening up the bolts/lower struts it's not really going to move, but the rubber I put down between the wood and the tank on both the top and bottom give it even more grip when it's all tightened up. It could maybe possibly slide a little bit if I make a super hard stop, but I gave it some pretty hard kicks and it wasn't going anywhere.
mattbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 06:13 PM   #144
Almost There

Installed the freshwater fill hose and wired up the pump today, so the plumbing and electrical is all done for the moment. I still need to secure some of the plumbing and some loose wires, but everything is working for now. I also brought in the desk/table and passenger seat just to see how it's all going to fit. Still need to buy a swivel base for the seat and trim down the countertop before securing it all down.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:49 PM   #145
Almost There

Secured the desk drawers and top today, and a few more pictures of the fresh water tank and fill.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #146
Bus Nut

It might be a tad late, but I'm just wondering - are you at all concerned about your fill pipe holding water? It looks like there's a sag in the middle, and I'm not sure how I'd feel with that being full of water, especially if you find a long period of time between fill-ups. (I mean, I know it's clean water to begin with, and it would otherwise just run into the tank, but I'm picky about some things.) I might want the fill pipe to slope down to the exterior connection, so when you disconnect the hose, the fill pipe drains outside the bus.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #147
Almost There

@Mark_In_MA I am going to mount the water hoses and wires to the wall, so I'll slope it down as much as I can. As you said, it is holding some water right now. Honestly, this was an oversight on my part, the tank is almost at the same height as the inlet pretty much, so honestly, I was worried the water wasn't even going to get to the tank, but it does luckily. It's a good call though, hopefully, I can get enough of a slant to drain most of the water into the tank.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #148
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbus View Post
@Mark_In_MA I am going to mount the water hoses and wires to the wall, so I'll slope it down as much as I can. As you said, it is holding some water right now. Honestly, this was an oversight on my part, the tank is almost at the same height as the inlet pretty much, so honestly, I was worried the water wasn't even going to get to the tank, but it does luckily. It's a good call though, hopefully, I can get enough of a slant to drain most of the water into the tank.
Centrifugal force will empty that tube everytime you veer left. I was going to say, just use a zip tie and secure it to the wall to level it. Will your navigator seat be able to swivel that close to the wall, need to bring it forward and to the left?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:04 PM   #149
Almost There

I got the bus weighed at a local truck stop this week and went to the DMV to have the bus re-registered as an RV. I thought maybe there was a special inspection that needed to be done, but they just looked at some pictures I brought with me, and changed it from a "commercial bus" to a "house on wheels". They didn't seem to be 100% sure what they were doing, but I left with new plates and a registration sticker. The new title should be coming in the mail soon, and I have a regular NYS inspection scheduled for Monday.

Also called my insurance, Progressive, who said they don't insure "conversions" so for now my bus is still insured as a commercial vehicle. But I'm hoping once I get the new title back, and now that it is registered as an "RV", I should be able to get some insurance quotes from other companies.

Aside from that, I've been working on some odds and ends, installed a cheap backup camera, an LED light strip, hung up a shower curtain, etc. Still lots of small things left to do though, hanging the curtains, making some window screens, stuff like that.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #150
Almost There

@o1marc Still waiting on the swivel base, so I haven't drilled any holes to bolt down the passenger seat. I'll make sure there's enough to swivel around, it was probably a bit too close to the wall in that photo.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #151
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Looks good!
But for Dog's sake, do something about those resinous-knothole breakthrus in all of that white paint!
Looks like something was groping around, hoping for a tenticular grab on Captain Nemo...
Old 06-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #152
Almost There

@HazMatt Yeah, it's kind of a bummer! I primed and did two coats of the most expensive paint I could buy... but they just keep getting darker by the day it seems.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #153
Bus Crazy

Oil, or latex paint?
Nevermind. Don't really matter...
Strip it bare, and lay on multiple coats of polyurethane over the knots (Knots are exceptionally thirsty. They're kinda naughty that way), THEN the final finish coats.
And if I'm wrong...
Well, Sledd'll amble along, & set ya to rights!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #154
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I've had good luck stopping bled through like that by spraying a couple coats of bug bomb silver over them and then a layer of the original color a day or so later.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #155
Bus Crazy

I'm thinking infestations were not of future concerns!
(Note to self: keep that sh1t away from my Beetle!)
Old 06-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #156
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Kilz oil base on the knotts, and never worry about bleed through again...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #157
Almost There

I think I'll save re-painting for a next year project, haha. Just excited to get this thing ready for its first trip.

Few small updates from the weekend, built a small box/cabinet to hide some wiring and create a little extra storage space. Hung up a bathroom door curtain, and having a friend hem up some curtains for the rest of the bus this week hopefully.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #158
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Kilz oil base on the knotts, and never worry about bleed through again...

yes, if you can still get Kilz oil ( alkyd ) base, that's the way to go - a couple of coats over the pitch knots should do the trick

a quick online check indicates you can still get it
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:06 PM   #159
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Your build is looking awesome!!! Loving it! I'm getting ready to try some tongue and groove for my ceiling.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:46 PM   #160
Almost There

100% road legal! Picked up the bus from getting the inspection today, mechanics said everything looked great minus the rear brakes which I had them go ahead and do while it was there. But really stoked to have the inspection, registration, and insurance all squared away.

Got the swivel base for the passenger seat and got that installed today. Spins clear of the wall, and has enough room for a decent recline in the forward position. It is a little close to the table when it's turned around, but not too terrible and can be turned outwards a bit anyway. I got pretty lucky with the placement, two bolts went down into the battery box and the other two just under the floor, but nothing got in the way. Just need to order a seatbelt.