Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #81
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 55
Henryscat, who is your diesel mechanic in San Diego? I live there and it would be good to know for when I actually get a bus.
Disastrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #82
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Posts: 81
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Hey guys! I made three posts on here, but my service has been so in the hills the couldnít find there way here.

So his name is Kurt.

We now coexist in morning star. She comes already named. And it seems very fitting. The morning star Christian academy .
She is the 32ft pusher, with the t444e paired to the at545 with 190hp. I plan to put a tranny cooler in ASAP. She is smooth and strong. 200,000miles.
Tranny was rebuilt in 2014. It has automatic tire chains. She does not come with a/c. Thatís alright, my is certified for such things. He is in central pa.

We removed 4 seats in about 30minutes. There is no rust in site on the girl.
Iíve already turned the little nook above the engine into my dogs bed while we are stationary. First it was the only place large enough for him before the seats were removed.
Second the bus is really for him.
Third he looks really cool from outside at night.
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #83
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,366
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
That is the first RE that I have observed with an AT-545.
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #84
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Posts: 81
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastrogirl View Post
Henryscat, who is your diesel mechanic in San Diego? I live there and it would be good to know for when I actually get a bus.
I have two guys in mind. There are not by any means professional.
Mikeyís mom has got it going in!...
Sorry, Mikeyís moms boyfriend is a short distance diesel driver this past whole life he lived. And Mikeyís dad is star certified smog technician. He has been servicing deisel water trucks for 5 years now.

Iíll be looking for a professional while Iím down there, mikeys uncle owns a water truck company and I can see if he canít point me in a direction. Heís also who Iíll be looking at for tires and parts. Heís real good with talkin.
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #85
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Posts: 81
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
The reason for the name

So Henry is the dog in the photos. In one photo up in the left corner is a cat. Thatís his cat. He loves her.
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #86
Bus Crazy
 
HazMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,997
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I like it! Your bus was named after Venus, a pagan goddess, by a christian school? How progressive of them!
Four seats down, a boatload to go! Pretty good time, tho.
I like the bowser bunk bed. Unsurprisingly, I see the cat claimed place of primacy...
Now the fun really starts! 🤙
__________________
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #87
Bus Crazy
 
CHEESE_WAGON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,155
Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
One question, how do you propose to drive it, when it's on its side one minute, upright the next, upside down the next after? And it's not very subtle, trying to hide in the bushes...

*sings*
Spider-Bus, Spider-Bus... Rolls over, without a fuss...


Seriously, though, congrats. Looks like you got a good egg.
MUCH better than what you were looking at.
__________________
"Cheese Wagon" <anomaly.va@gmail.com>

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #88
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Posts: 81
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That is the first RE that I have observed with an AT-545.
Seems to do really well in the city. It does have a little trouble on the hills. I believe it has a 63mph governor that Iíll see if I canít have the factory help with. As well as the tranny cooler.

I read some hopeful reviews of a guy who has the exact engine and tranny scenario who was towing into the Rockies. He was not pleased initially, topping at 5mph after a few miles of 6-9% grade and a very unhappy bus bitching at him, but with the engine cooler he said there was no bitching, and he topped in at 35mph!
I have high hopes. I love the Rockies.

I do plan to drive her as she has been driven though, only a few hours at a time. I wanted a real change in life. I no longer am eager to get to the next place because this one is uncomfortable. With my bus I can be comfortable anywhere I decide to get involved for a while. So Iím not trying go cross country in 5 days, more like a few months, maybe a few years...

Also I am looking into two options for a tranny swap down the line. Iím looking at the mt643, or I believe the Allison1000.
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #89
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,333
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrysCat View Post
Seems to do really well in the city. It does have a little trouble on the hills. I believe it has a 63mph governor that Iíll see if I canít have the factory help with. As well as the tranny cooler.

I read some hopeful reviews of a guy who has the exact engine and tranny scenario who was towing into the Rockies. He was not pleased initially, topping at 5mph after a few miles of 6-9% grade and a very unhappy bus bitching at him, but with the engine cooler he said there was no bitching, and he topped in at 35mph!
I have high hopes. I love the Rockies.

I do plan to drive her as she has been driven though, only a few hours at a time. I wanted a real change in life. I no longer am eager to get to the next place because this one is uncomfortable. With my bus I can be comfortable anywhere I decide to get involved for a while. So Iím not trying go cross country in 5 days, more like a few months, maybe a few years...

Also I am looking into two options for a tranny swap down the line. Iím looking at the mt643, or I believe the Allison1000.
Why not go for a 3060 if you plan on swapping, much better than both other choices.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #90
Bus Crazy
 
HazMatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: E Central Tejas
Posts: 1,997
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Cheese_Wagon:
Thank goodness for the roof escape hatch, giving her propensity for laying on the door...
Liked your song, btw.
But I'm not entirely right in the head.
__________________
Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it.
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #91
Bus Crazy
 
CHEESE_WAGON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,155
Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Cheese_Wagon:
Thank goodness for the roof escape hatch, giving her propensity for laying on the door...
Liked your song, btw.
But I'm not entirely right in the head.
None of us are, or we wouldn't be here...
__________________
"Cheese Wagon" <anomaly.va@gmail.com>

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #92
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Posts: 81
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
She goes slow for a reason? Haha
https://youtu.be/kboYfDwt7jk

Iíll put her on a gyroscope, problem solved!
Both of the mechanics at the shop there had the same bus as me. That gives me hopes that sheíll be somewhat okay since they live in the hills of Oregon.
You think thenrockies will be too intense for her lack there of gravitas?
I will have some small water storage built into her underside. I donít want anything too big to make it sloshy.
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #93
Bus Crazy
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Minnehaha Co., SD
Posts: 1,111
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrysCat View Post
I do plan to drive her as she has been driven though, only a few hours at a time. I wanted a real change in life. I no longer am eager to get to the next place because this one is uncomfortable. With my bus I can be comfortable anywhere I decide to get involved for a while.

This has pretty much been our strategy, FWIW. Drive ~250 miles, or 5-6 hours, then park for a week or longer. I guess a lot of people use the "330 rule" too (drive no more than 330 miles, and don't arrive later than 3:30 in the afternoon). It's very different from the epic roadtrips we used to do and a lot more relaxing. Allows ya to explore the region and take in the sites and culture. We ain't got no worries, cuz we ain't in no hurry at all.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #94
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
This has pretty much been our strategy, FWIW. Drive ~250 miles, or 5-6 hours, then park for a week or longer. I guess a lot of people use the "330 rule" too (drive no more than 330 miles, and don't arrive later than 3:30 in the afternoon). It's very different from the epic roadtrips we used to do and a lot more relaxing. Allows ya to explore the region and take in the sites and culture. We ain't got no worries, cuz we ain't in no hurry at all.


I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to traveling that way or not - so many years of traveling to one kind of race or another - horse gymkhanas, ski races, and for the last 40+ years sled dog races - didn't really matter what kind of race it was, getting from here to there on time had more similarities than differences - all had to be done on a schedule - all seemed to be somewhere far away that took at least two days of almost non-stop driving to get there - how soon we left home was dictated by how much school the kids could afford to miss when they were still at home, or how much time I could take off from work without going bankrupt - when we had to get there was dictated by race draws or pre-race meetings - they all involved traveling fast in an over crowded and often over weight vehicle with limited stops that required an almost choreographed routine so that duties could be carried out swiftly, thoroughly, safely, without wasting too much time - the ski races and dog sled races meant driving on icy or snow covered roads - seeing snow on the road gave a sense of relief because it meant the course or trails would be in good condition - the condition of the road was just something you dealt with - lol - never had time to consider stopping to smell the flowers, let alone actually stopping to do it - - when/if the time comes that I can wander just because I want to wander, I'm not sure how I'll handle that - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #95
Bus Crazy
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 1,104
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We ain't got no worries, cuz we ain't in no hurry at all.

That will be my lifestyle in a few years.

But what if it rains? Does it make a difference?
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #96
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,470
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
That is the first RE that I have observed with an AT-545.
I've got a friend with one. 5.9 12v and 545. Its slow but reliable!

Congrats on the bus yall.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #97
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 22,470
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrysCat View Post
She goes slow for a reason? Haha
https://youtu.be/kboYfDwt7jk

Iíll put her on a gyroscope, problem solved!
Both of the mechanics at the shop there had the same bus as me. That gives me hopes that sheíll be somewhat okay since they live in the hills of Oregon.
You think thenrockies will be too intense for her lack there of gravitas?
I will have some small water storage built into her underside. I donít want anything too big to make it sloshy.
I would not buy that bus for the rockies. It'll do it but just go SLOW.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #98
Bus Crazy
 
CHEESE_WAGON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,155
Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrysCat View Post
She goes slow for a reason? Haha
I’ll put her on a gyroscope, problem solved!

Both of the mechanics at the shop there had the same bus as me. That gives me hopes that she’ll be somewhat okay since they live in the hills of Oregon.
You think thenrockies will be too intense for her lack there of gravitas?
I will have some small water storage built into her underside. I don’t want anything too big to make it sloshy.
First, the good news is that most diesels can be boosted silly without too many ill effects. Bumping up turbo pressure can greatly increase power, although this also requires turning up the injector pump for more fuel to facilitate that extra power. Just be careful not to exceed the limits of your transmission. But be mindful, no matter what you do, a 12,000-16,000-lb vehicle with 190 hp is not going anywhere too terribly fast.

As to the water storage, if you can get tanks with baffles, or perhaps build your own with baffles or bulkheads, that will help a lot with the sloshing. It's common practice in tanker trucks. Of course, that doesn't stop 10,000 gallons from slapping you around and making it feel like you're driving a bowling pin, but I'm pretty sure you won't be toting 10,000 gallons.

However, I had a load of liquid totes (which were individually the same thing as having bulkheads (bulkheads are solid, while baffles are diffused to allow some movement), and I definitely had to be on my toes. Felt like I was driving a bowling pin. However, this was about 18 200-gallon containers in a dry-van trailer about 3-1/2 - 4 feet above ground, and the much lower quantity, being low in the center of gravity underneath the bus will help to mitigate the effects.
__________________
"Cheese Wagon" <anomaly.va@gmail.com>

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #99
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Posts: 81
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Why not go for a 3060 if you plan on swapping, much better than both other choices.
Iíll take you up on that thanks!
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #100
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Posts: 81
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I like it! Your bus was named after Venus, a pagan goddess, by a christian school? How progressive of them!
Four seats down, a boatload to go! Pretty good time, tho.
I like the bowser bunk bed. Unsurprisingly, I see the cat claimed place of primacy...
Now the fun really starts! 🤙
Well there ya go, Christians not realizing their own transparency.
The cat Seems to think sheís of ownership. But Henry is the elder of the group.
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×