Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #81
Mini-Skoolie

Henryscat, who is your diesel mechanic in San Diego? I live there and it would be good to know for when I actually get a bus.

Disastrogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #82
Almost There

Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Hey guys! I made three posts on here, but my service has been so in the hills the couldn’t find there way here.

So his name is Kurt.

We now coexist in morning star. She comes already named. And it seems very fitting. The morning star Christian academy .
She is the 32ft pusher, with the t444e paired to the at545 with 190hp. I plan to put a tranny cooler in ASAP. She is smooth and strong. 200,000miles.
Tranny was rebuilt in 2014. It has automatic tire chains. She does not come with a/c. That’s alright, my is certified for such things. He is in central pa.

We removed 4 seats in about 30minutes. There is no rust in site on the girl.
I’ve already turned the little nook above the engine into my dogs bed while we are stationary. First it was the only place large enough for him before the seats were removed.
Second the bus is really for him.
Third he looks really cool from outside at night.
Attached Thumbnails
CC57440D-7B00-41C0-8C3F-FA322A3583E4.jpg   C706B7C8-23CE-4141-86BE-84450CACB3D6.jpg   75E93F48-1646-445C-85CF-12A293B69C8B.jpg   98E6CC43-487C-4AC4-B248-F77EE80C25FF.jpg   10A2550E-D18B-4762-B291-BFE48A43C4D2.jpg  

738C8932-CB47-4CD1-8BFC-CFBF2B9A2ECA.jpg   6C3A35CF-62C2-4735-9F87-14BEFADF5A7D.jpg   951BCDC7-1AD0-4A48-933A-35A801218D41.jpg  
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #83
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
That is the first RE that I have observed with an AT-545.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #84
Almost There

Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disastrogirl View Post
Henryscat, who is your diesel mechanic in San Diego? I live there and it would be good to know for when I actually get a bus.
I have two guys in mind. There are not by any means professional.
Mikey’s mom has got it going in!...
Sorry, Mikey’s moms boyfriend is a short distance diesel driver this past whole life he lived. And Mikey’s dad is star certified smog technician. He has been servicing deisel water trucks for 5 years now.

I’ll be looking for a professional while I’m down there, mikeys uncle owns a water truck company and I can see if he can’t point me in a direction. He’s also who I’ll be looking at for tires and parts. He’s real good with talkin.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #85
Almost There

The reason for the name

So Henry is the dog in the photos. In one photo up in the left corner is a cat. That’s his cat. He loves her.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #86
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I like it! Your bus was named after Venus, a pagan goddess, by a christian school? How progressive of them!
Four seats down, a boatload to go! Pretty good time, tho.
I like the bowser bunk bed. Unsurprisingly, I see the cat claimed place of primacy...
Now the fun really starts! 🤙[emoji111]
Old 06-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #87
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
One question, how do you propose to drive it, when it's on its side one minute, upright the next, upside down the next after? And it's not very subtle, trying to hide in the bushes...

*sings*
Spider-Bus, Spider-Bus... Rolls over, without a fuss...

Seriously, though, congrats. Looks like you got a good egg.
MUCH better than what you were looking at.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #88
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Seems to do really well in the city. It does have a little trouble on the hills. I believe it has a 63mph governor that I’ll see if I can’t have the factory help with. As well as the tranny cooler.

I read some hopeful reviews of a guy who has the exact engine and tranny scenario who was towing into the Rockies. He was not pleased initially, topping at 5mph after a few miles of 6-9% grade and a very unhappy bus bitching at him, but with the engine cooler he said there was no bitching, and he topped in at 35mph!
I have high hopes. I love the Rockies.

I do plan to drive her as she has been driven though, only a few hours at a time. I wanted a real change in life. I no longer am eager to get to the next place because this one is uncomfortable. With my bus I can be comfortable anywhere I decide to get involved for a while. So I’m not trying go cross country in 5 days, more like a few months, maybe a few years...

Also I am looking into two options for a tranny swap down the line. I’m looking at the mt643, or I believe the Allison1000.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrysCat View Post
Seems to do really well in the city. It does have a little trouble on the hills. I believe it has a 63mph governor that I’ll see if I can’t have the factory help with. As well as the tranny cooler.

I read some hopeful reviews of a guy who has the exact engine and tranny scenario who was towing into the Rockies. He was not pleased initially, topping at 5mph after a few miles of 6-9% grade and a very unhappy bus bitching at him, but with the engine cooler he said there was no bitching, and he topped in at 35mph!
I have high hopes. I love the Rockies.

I do plan to drive her as she has been driven though, only a few hours at a time. I wanted a real change in life. I no longer am eager to get to the next place because this one is uncomfortable. With my bus I can be comfortable anywhere I decide to get involved for a while. So I’m not trying go cross country in 5 days, more like a few months, maybe a few years...

Also I am looking into two options for a tranny swap down the line. I’m looking at the mt643, or I believe the Allison1000.
Why not go for a 3060 if you plan on swapping, much better than both other choices.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Cheese_Wagon:
Thank goodness for the roof escape hatch, giving her propensity for laying on the door...
Liked your song, btw.
But I'm not entirely right in the head.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #91
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Cheese_Wagon:
Thank goodness for the roof escape hatch, giving her propensity for laying on the door...
Liked your song, btw.
But I'm not entirely right in the head.
None of us are, or we wouldn't be here...
Old 06-21-2019, 12:31 PM   #92
Almost There

She goes slow for a reason? Haha
https://youtu.be/kboYfDwt7jk

I’ll put her on a gyroscope, problem solved!
Both of the mechanics at the shop there had the same bus as me. That gives me hopes that she’ll be somewhat okay since they live in the hills of Oregon.
You think thenrockies will be too intense for her lack there of gravitas?
I will have some small water storage built into her underside. I don’t want anything too big to make it sloshy.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #93
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
I do plan to drive her as she has been driven though, only a few hours at a time. I wanted a real change in life. I no longer am eager to get to the next place because this one is uncomfortable. With my bus I can be comfortable anywhere I decide to get involved for a while.

This has pretty much been our strategy, FWIW. Drive ~250 miles, or 5-6 hours, then park for a week or longer. I guess a lot of people use the "330 rule" too (drive no more than 330 miles, and don't arrive later than 3:30 in the afternoon). It's very different from the epic roadtrips we used to do and a lot more relaxing. Allows ya to explore the region and take in the sites and culture. We ain't got no worries, cuz we ain't in no hurry at all.
Old 06-21-2019, 01:06 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
This has pretty much been our strategy, FWIW. Drive ~250 miles, or 5-6 hours, then park for a week or longer. I guess a lot of people use the "330 rule" too (drive no more than 330 miles, and don't arrive later than 3:30 in the afternoon). It's very different from the epic roadtrips we used to do and a lot more relaxing. Allows ya to explore the region and take in the sites and culture. We ain't got no worries, cuz we ain't in no hurry at all.

I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to traveling that way or not - so many years of traveling to one kind of race or another - horse gymkhanas, ski races, and for the last 40+ years sled dog races - didn't really matter what kind of race it was, getting from here to there on time had more similarities than differences - all had to be done on a schedule - all seemed to be somewhere far away that took at least two days of almost non-stop driving to get there - how soon we left home was dictated by how much school the kids could afford to miss when they were still at home, or how much time I could take off from work without going bankrupt - when we had to get there was dictated by race draws or pre-race meetings - they all involved traveling fast in an over crowded and often over weight vehicle with limited stops that required an almost choreographed routine so that duties could be carried out swiftly, thoroughly, safely, without wasting too much time - the ski races and dog sled races meant driving on icy or snow covered roads - seeing snow on the road gave a sense of relief because it meant the course or trails would be in good condition - the condition of the road was just something you dealt with - lol - never had time to consider stopping to smell the flowers, let alone actually stopping to do it - - when/if the time comes that I can wander just because I want to wander, I'm not sure how I'll handle that - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #95
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We ain't got no worries, cuz we ain't in no hurry at all.

That will be my lifestyle in a few years.

But what if it rains? Does it make a difference?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:44 PM   #96
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I've got a friend with one. 5.9 12v and 545. Its slow but reliable!

Congrats on the bus yall.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #97
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
https://youtu.be/kboYfDwt7jk

Both of the mechanics at the shop there had the same bus as me. That gives me hopes that she’ll be somewhat okay since they live in the hills of Oregon.
I will have some small water storage built into her underside. I don’t want anything too big to make it sloshy.
I would not buy that bus for the rockies. It'll do it but just go SLOW.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #98
Traveling

Quote:

First, the good news is that most diesels can be boosted silly without too many ill effects. Bumping up turbo pressure can greatly increase power, although this also requires turning up the injector pump for more fuel to facilitate that extra power. Just be careful not to exceed the limits of your transmission. But be mindful, no matter what you do, a 12,000-16,000-lb vehicle with 190 hp is not going anywhere too terribly fast.

As to the water storage, if you can get tanks with baffles, or perhaps build your own with baffles or bulkheads, that will help a lot with the sloshing. It's common practice in tanker trucks. Of course, that doesn't stop 10,000 gallons from slapping you around and making it feel like you're driving a bowling pin, but I'm pretty sure you won't be toting 10,000 gallons.

However, I had a load of liquid totes (which were individually the same thing as having bulkheads (bulkheads are solid, while baffles are diffused to allow some movement), and I definitely had to be on my toes. Felt like I was driving a bowling pin. However, this was about 18 200-gallon containers in a dry-van trailer about 3-1/2 - 4 feet above ground, and the much lower quantity, being low in the center of gravity underneath the bus will help to mitigate the effects.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #99
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Why not go for a 3060 if you plan on swapping, much better than both other choices.
I’ll take you up on that thanks!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #100
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I like it! Your bus was named after Venus, a pagan goddess, by a christian school? How progressive of them!
Four seats down, a boatload to go! Pretty good time, tho.
I like the bowser bunk bed. Unsurprisingly, I see the cat claimed place of primacy...
Now the fun really starts! 🤙[emoji111]
Well there ya go, Christians not realizing their own transparency.
The cat Seems to think she’s of ownership. But Henry is the elder of the group.